Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Essential revolvers

Mikej

what revolvers would you consider essential to a good collection. The only revolver I have is a 625 that I had Carmonized but I want to start collecting a few. I want a 686, but after that I do not know. Some of the smaller frame guns are appealing, but I am not sure which are the best shooters. My truck gun is a Glock 26, but I would like a small revolver to carry. All opinions appreciated.

Mike

what revolvers would you consider essential to a good collection. The only revolver I have is a 625 that I had Carmonized but I want to start collecting a few. I want a 686, but after that I do not know. Some of the smaller frame guns are appealing, but I am not sure which are the best shooters. My truck gun is a Glock 26, but I would like a small revolver to carry. All opinions appreciated.

Mike

For a small carry revolver, I think you can't beat the 642/442. You can save a little weight for a lot more money, but I don't see the point. Yeah, you get 357 capability on the scandium/titanium versions, but trust me you won't want to shoot them much.

I think the other important gun to have is a K-frame 357 (13/19/65/66).

I like my assortment.

S & W Chief's Special for a little snubnose

Dan Wesson .357 complete pistol pack in case you change your mind about barrel length

625 Performance center with improved trigger and bobbed hammer

.44 Mag single action with 10" barrel for hunting

For a small, but manageable .357 Mag revolver, the 640 is hard to beat. It's just heavy enough that it's not totally unpleasant with full .357 and it sofens up nicely with lighter loads. Hey, my wife (all 105lbs of her) shoots hers with .357 from time to time....granted, just a cylinder full or two at a time, but it's enough to know she can handle it. It's not too heavy for her to carry either, so no complaining guys :P

i'm wondering how you define "collection". posting here i'd think competition is the goal more so than collecting. for me my competition wheelies are:

686 SSR

all have been Carmonized except the 627 and i just got it.

for a non competition collection i have the following S&W revolvers

10 HB

15-3

25-2

25-5

27-2

and am looking for:

Depends on your definition of collection, a competition collection should include at least one of each of the following a 625 or a 25(6-shot division) , 627 (open division) , 617 or a 17(rimfire division) , 686 or a blued K-frame(retro division), and some sort of single action for cowboy shooting, Ruger Vaquero or a Colt single action maybe a Cimarron or a Taurus. From a collectible stand point , I guess it all depends on what you like. Hope this helps. :cheers:

Scott

p.s. MERRY CHRISTMAS to all the Forum members

I sold them all but one when building a new target rifle about 15 years ago. Kept a Victory model, that's all. Now I am back over were I was before took a long time.

I frame Official Police

J frame 3 inch 36 4 inch M 34 and 342

K frame the Victory Model, M 1905 Target. M 10 2 inch. M 67 4 inch & M 19 2 1/2 inch

L frame 686

N frame M 25 45 LC ,M 28 & 2 625's in 3 and 4 inch.

Do it all over again I would keep one of the K's Probably the 67 which can double for self defense and IDPA.

Boats