Glock Gen.4

JTew

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Remind me - will the old mags work with the Gen 4 if you leave the mag release in the right handed postion?

If you mean "set for a right handed shooter, on the same side of the gun as the slide release" then yes.....

oops you're right what I should have said is hey will only work when the release is on the left side of the grip.

• 2 weeks later...

The new recoil spring assembly really tames the 40 and makes follow through much easier on the shooter. You cant tell so much witt the 9mm. It still shoots well just doesn't throw brass but about 2' directly to your right.

I like the Gen 4 with no added grip panels. It feels great in the SF configuration. And they did good with the different texture and mag release. I really dig the 4th Gen.

To answer a poster's question: The Gen 4 slide/recoil spring assembly will NOT work on the Gen 3 frame. The Gen 4 frame did accept my Gen 3 Model 34 slide, but I didn't get a chance to shoot it.

I did the "25-cent trigger job" on a Gen 4 today. I didn't notice any appreciable difference in the trigger after tweaking it. The only physical difference that I found was that the Vertical Extension of the Trigger Bar (the part that disengages the Firing Pin Safety) seems to be taller.

The gun seemed to track well for me during recoil. I need to shoot it side-by-side with a G-22, since I usually only shoot 22Cs, 34s, and 35s.

My female shooters seemed to like the smaller size. Just about everyone who handled it today at my Department seemed to like it better with no backstrap installed. The size of the mag catch button and its reversability were a hit.

Received my Gen. 4 G17 yesterday. After cleaning and lubing I checked the heavy trigger pull and it was 6 # 2 OZ. This gun had the tightest fit I have ever seen in a Glock. I fired 300 flawless rounds and shot slightly low shooting the gun in the SF configuration. The recoil spring felt as if it was progressive or had two different rate springs, it was a smooth recoil and I could not shoot rapid fire at Bass Pro. I like the G17RTF3 but the smaller receiver felt better for my short fingers. I will probably add a Fiber Optic front sight and a taller metal rear sight. It is good being able to reach the magazine release without shifting my grip. I will report back as I T&E the gun.

i shot a Gen 4 17 this past saturday. it was a lot nicer than i would have figured. the grip texture is actually very nice. it almost seemed to have more recoil than the older generation 17s that i have owned. will have to do some more testing.

liontribe

To answer a poster's question: The Gen 4 slide/recoil spring assembly will NOT work on the Gen 3 frame.

Care to elaborate? What is there about putting a Gen-4 slide assembly on a Gen-3 frame (or vice versa, for that matter) that will not work?

The Gen3 frame is too narrow forward of the locking block to accommodate the Gen4 recoil spring assembly and matching circular bit at the front of the slide.

I finally got my hands on one. Glock has changed a few things on the trigger group as well.

The trigger bars are designed differently especially where the trigger spring attaches to the trigger housing. The hole is oval where the spring attaches and the bottom of the arm has a slot cut into it to help stabilize the trigger spring.

G4TBar2.jpg

The trigger housing look similar to the 45cal. SF housings, but where the cruciform rides in the drop safety area it has different dimensions.

After some experimenting I got the trigger down to a smooth 2.8 lb. trigger, but to really dig into it I would like to have some extra OEM parts available for the Gen 4 models. It took a long time to get the SF trigger housing out to the general public and I have a feeling that the parts are going to be awhile on this one too.

Edited by Charlie Vanek

I finally got my hands on one. Glock has changed a few things on the trigger group as well.

The trigger bars are designed differently especially where the trigger spring attaches to the trigger housing. The hole is oval where the spring attaches and the bottom of the arm has a slot cut into it to help stabilize the trigger spring.

G4TBar2.jpg

The trigger housing look similar to the 45cal. SF housings, but where the cruciform rides in the drop safety area it has different dimensions.

After some experimenting I got the trigger down to a smooth 2.8 lb. trigger, but to really dig into it I would like to have some extra OEM parts available for the Gen 4 models. It took a long time to get the SF trigger housing out to the general public and I have a feeling that the parts are going to be awhile on this one too.

PM sent.

"finally got my hands on one. Glock has changed a few things on the trigger group as well.

The trigger bars are designed differently especially where the trigger spring attaches to the trigger housing. The hole is oval where the spring attaches and the bottom of the arm has a slot cut into it to help stabilize the trigger spring."

Thanks Charlie ! The spring slot cut is a useful improvement.

• 1 month later...

I picked up a 4th Gen G17 from Chris at CPWSA. I really like the new mag button. Surprisingly, I also like the large back strap. I also like no back strap - have to shoot it and see what plays out better for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Shot my G4 17 today. Even though I liked the feel of the large backstrap in dry fire - I didn't like it in live fire. I prefer the pistol without any backstrap - the smallest configuration.

Overall I really like it - not sold on the dual guide rod though. I shot my AA .22 upper on it with no problems BTW.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a Gen 4 G17 this weekend. I currently shoot a Gen 3 34 in production and have a Gen 3 17 setup almost identical for backup. I thought some of you might appreciate a "gamer's" point of view.

First I really like the grip without any additional back straps but I will says it's not near as grippy as the RTF2 was. I run Tru-Grip on all my other Glocks so I'm a little biased here. Also the finger grooves were shrunk to where they are similar to my Gen 3s with Tru-Grip. I'm thinking these with Tru-Grip might feel almost like a slick front. The other ergo quirk is they did away with the front "notch" in grip, which I index off of for reloads plus now more of the magwell is shrouded due to this as well. I'm almost certain this would be slower but won't know till I play with it some more. Also of note the hole in the back is both flatter and has two raised notches so current plugs won't fit. Last of all the mag release is awesome... this is the one trait I REALLY wish my Gen 3 had, no unexpected mag ejections with table starts :wub:

The Slide, barrel, etc all look the same except for that monstrosity of a recoil system. I kept hearing horror stories about the dual spring recoil system and I must say it's a non-issue. The first 100rnds through the gun with my normal production load, which is about 131-132PF in my Gen 3 G17, and they all functioned perfectly. I'd have to say the muzzle jump was a little less then my Gen 3 with the stock recoil system. In the same session I also ran a mag of Winchester Ranger 127gr +p+ through it and was completely controllable.

Mags of course interchange with the release set to the left side. It fits perfectly in both my holsters for my Gen 3s. The Gen 3 slide will also fit and seems like it would function perfect minus the huge gap between the frame. Besides that it does have the trademark Gen 4 horrid trigger but I plan to leave everything alone right now. I bought this one for my house gun which is good cause I prefer my Gen 3's feel and trigger. B)

Edited by JoshF