Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Gen.4

JTew

Nik is absolutely correct. I had a chance to personally examine in detail one of the actual Gen4 production G22s, and the integral backstrap molded into the receiver is the small one; there are two alternative seperate backstrap pieces, a medium and a large, which are alternatively attached (via a hook set-up at the bottom and an anchoring pin at the top) over the integral small backstrap. It's really an ingenious solution, and a superior one to the M&P solution. With the Glock, in the worst-case scenario, a user will always have a viable backstrap, and one that provides greater structural integrity.

Best, Jon

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And the replaceable backstraps affix how?

If what I've read elsewhere is correct, the small backstrap is permanently installed in the gun. The medium or large (pick one, not both at the same time) bolt on over top of that.....

My speculation is via a hook on the backstrap grabbing a crevice/lip on the frame at/near the void behind the magwell opening and then held at the top by a trigger housing pin --- possible a longer pin than the one used on a gun with the small backstrap.....

But I'm just guessing --- you'll know for sure before me....

I just got to check one out, and took some pics.

Apparently they are now shipping to stores.

The pics and my impressions are here, for those interested:

http://www.firearmstrainingandtactics.com/...p;p=362#post362

Braxton1, How do you know the new recoil springs are 15#? Do you know if the spring ratings have changed on any other Glocks and if so can you list them. Thanks for the update.

That was the spec that they quoted me at the factory. I would presume that the 17s will be the same, as they are now with the Gen 3s.

Nik is absolutely correct. I had a chance to personally examine in detail one of the actual Gen4 production G22s, and the integral backstrap molded into the receiver is the small one; there are two alternative seperate backstrap pieces, a medium and a large, which are alternatively attached (via a hook set-up at the bottom and an anchoring pin at the top) over the integral small backstrap. It's really an ingenious solution, and a superior one to the M&P solution. With the Glock, in the worst-case scenario, a user will always have a viable backstrap, and one that provides greater structural integrity.

Best, Jon

Glad to know that my ability to read an image hasn't deteriorated...... :D :D

Of course Duane turns out to be partially right as well, in that either 2 or 3 stack on top of 1, but 2 and 3 don't stack on top of 1 at the same time....

Here is a picture of the new generation 4 Glock. Picture taken from a posting by DannyR on Glock Talk. It came out of the Glock 2010 calendar.

post-7229-1261197614_thumb.jpg

Hey Nick,

Is it me or is the new Gen 4 set up to enable an option to reduce the possibility of biting your hand when the slide comes back?

It looks like the options on the backstrap would allow us big handed people to get a high grip without cutting our hands.

If this is the case, Im back into being a Glockist

Brian

Here is a picture of the new generation 4 Glock. Picture taken from a posting by DannyR on Glock Talk. It came out of the Glock 2010 calendar.

Hey Nick,

Is it me or is the new Gen 4 set up to enable an option to reduce the possibility of biting your hand when the slide comes back?

It looks like the options on the backstrap would allow us big handed people to get a high grip without cutting our hands.

Brian

Yep, since the web of your hand sits 3mm farther forward, that would effectively deepen the "beavertail", keeping our large meat-hooks from hitting the reciprocating slide.

Well, I don't like that "step" at the top of the backstrap when the "extra" part is in place. <_<

It looks like it was an afterthought but should not effect me as I need the small size for my short fingers. I have to rotate my hand to reach the magazine release on a Gen. 3 Glock, that should also improve for me on the Gen. 4 Glocks.

Their annual is on newsstands in the St. Louis area. Glanced at it at the grocery store earlier. There is of course a full article on the Gen 4. The wider pad on the mag release looked cool. Trying to decide if I would ever convert to using my thumb to drop a mag with the reversible release or if the middle finger of my left hand has been doing it so long I would leave well enough alone. Probably won't be an issue anytime soon for me, I don't see myself wearing my current guns out anytime soon.

I use my middle finger as well and I doubt I would reverse the mag release. When I got my Beretta Storm, I tried reversing the mag release and using my thumb. I found it very uncomfortable and switched it back to "rightie" mode.

Hey Nick,

Brian

Yep, since the web of your hand sits 3mm farther forward, that would effectively deepen the "beavertail", keeping our large meat-hooks from hitting the reciprocating slide.

looks like Im back to glock perfection then...

The new, larger/more rectangular magazine release button is also a highly significant Gen4 improvement. It's protrusion from the frame is about the same as on the current release, but it covers more area, and is easier to activate because of it.

Some of my sources in Glock have told me that Glock US lobbied for an improved/extended beavertail/rear gripframe tang area, and also for the increased muzzle-area beveling (as on the G34/G35s and the subcompact models) but that was a bit too aggressive for Glock Austria at this time. Since I've never been bitten by my slide on any of my Glocks, and since I haven't particularly noticed my G34 being easier to holster (or my G17/G19/G21 being harder to holster with their blunt muzzle profile), the lack of these changes is pretty much a non-issue with me personally.

Best, Jon

Well, I don't like that "step" at the top of the backstrap when the "extra" part is in place. This is exactly the sort of thing I said, "I can't believe they'd do that." Well, they did it. Maybe I'll change my mind once I've shot it. Maybe. <_<

Duane, I would recommend trying it whenever you get a chance.

It looks awful, it's embarrassing that they released it like that...but it didn't feel terrible in the hand. It might get annoying once you start burning a lot of rounds in a session, by it didn't feel that noticeable when I played with it (only 10-15 mins of dry gun handling).

JBP55

I don't think so. I have the same problem with short fingers and the G22 Gen4 I handled yesterday was no improvement at all with the base back strap installed. Same feel as my G34. The mag release is larger but it slopes back into the grip giving no advantage for smaller hands.

JBP55

I don't think so. I have the same problem with short fingers and the G22 Gen4 I handled yesterday was no improvement at all with the base back strap installed. Same feel as my G34. The mag release is larger but it slopes back into the grip giving no advantage for smaller hands.

Thanks, By the time I get mine someone may have an extended version or Glock may have an extended version for the long slides available. I use the Glock extended version on all my Glocks after working them over with emery cloth.

So does the "no back strap" option provide a smaller "hump" toward the bottom of the frame at compared to a Gen 3 - or just at the top?

Others have posted that it is 2mm's smaller throughout its length, I have not measured one.

So does the "no back strap" option provide a smaller "hump" toward the bottom of the frame at compared to a Gen 3 - or just at the top?

The grip angle felt consistent throughout the length. It felt as if they removed an equal amount from the top and bottom.

It's pretty much confirmed that the cocking serrations are going back to the vertical cuts, not the half moon design, right?

A major gun rag has the gen4 Glock as it's centerfold pistol, and the pictured gun has the curved serrations. I shall hope that they are out of the loop, since I prefer the original pattern.

edited to comply w/ forum guidelines.

Edited by kevin c

Has anyone tried to put a 3rd gen 35 or 24 slide on a 4th gen frame?

You can't interchange these anymore, the frame it cut differently due to the new Recoil spring, the trigger bar is different too..

On a side note, the RTF2's are changing their serrations to the normal straight style.

The 37's are coming out shortly and the 19/23/38 Gen4's will be introduced around summer of this year. And, I haven't heard plans to Gen4 the Sub's, which obviously there is no reason for interchangeable backstraps for subs.

Edited by TampaShooters