Glock Gen.4

JTew

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have seen threads about the Gen 4 glock on several forums. Everyone seems to focus on the backstraps, grip texture, recoil springs and slide serraration. I have also seen it mentioned that there is not much interchangability between this generation and previous gen. pistols, but I havn't heard what specifically. What I HAVN'T seen talked about is the two biggest issues that the 40 Glocks had; unsupported chamber and lack of reliability with lights attached to the rails.

Questions I'd like to have answered are:

1. does the chamber offer more support than previously?

2. when will the G35 be released?

3. how does the new recoil system affect felt recoil?

4. does the new recoil system improve reliability with a light attached?

Edited by Attila

I'd be more curious about the new ambi mag release... do they work well for us in the action shooting sports?

I think newer Glock barrels/chambers (Gen 3 for example) seem to have decent support... it's over discussed these days.

I have seen threads about the Gen 4 glock on several forums. Everyone seems to focus on the backstraps, grip texture, recoil springs and slide serraration. I have also seen it mentioned that there is not much interchangability between this generation and previous gen. pistols, but I havn't heard what specifically. What I HAVN'T seen talked about is the two biggest issues that the 40 Glocks had; unsupported chamber and lack of reliability with lights attached to the rails.

Questions I'd like to have answered are:

1. does the chamber offer more support than previously?

2. when will the G35 be released?

3. how does the new recoil system affect felt recoil?

4. does the new recoil system improve reliability with a light attached?

I had the chance to shoot one of these, I'll see if I can help.

1.The chamber has the same support as gen 3's. 'course this has been discussed here-the chambers are fully supported, they are just not as tight as others, e.g. STI. This is better for reliability but harder on the brass. I doubt you will ever see tighter chambers from Glock. They are first a law enforcement gun and second a competition gun. And LE guns shoot factory ammo, hence they are not worried about comp shooters trying to cook the flattest shooting handloads or brass with more than 1 firing. But, they will always demand the utmost reliability.

2. No news on when the 35's will be released. 22 and 17 are first.

3. Felt recoil felt the same to me compared to 3rd gen 22.

4. The recoil system is supposed to improve reliability with the lights attached, and the one I shot functioned perfectly with a light.

5. lots of the stuff is not interchangable-trigger bar, trigger housing, mag release and recoil rods and springs. And current magwells will not work.

For LEO, I know questions regarding the .40 cal's reliability with a weapon mounted lot is a concern. Glock introduced 11 coil mag springs to "correct" the problem, but hopefully the Gen 4 recoil system will cure the problem.

i think i like the idea of the interchangeable back straps as i have found most of the older gen glocks feel weird in my hand( Until i held the G21sf-which i now own, lol.looking forward to checking these out for a possible G34 purchase this winter/spring (assuming the 34 comes out in the 4th gen).

How do you know this? I don't see how that's possible. Let me hasten to add, I'm not saying necessarily that's not true, I just don't see how it's possible. There's no sort of slot on the faces of the backstraps to hook one into the other, and only one pin, at top, far as I can see in the photo. And if you stacked one backstrap on top of the other, wouldn't you wind up with a serious "step" at top where the backstraps come back considerably further to the rear than the grip tang instead of meeting in a smooth curve?

How do you know this? I don't see how that's possible. Let me hasten to add, I'm not saying necessarily that's not true, I just don't see how it's possible. There's no sort of slot on the faces of the backstraps to hook one into the other, and only one pin, at top, far as I can see in the photo. And if you stacked one backstrap on top of the other, wouldn't you wind up with a serious "step" at top where the backstraps come back considerably further to the rear than the grip tang instead of meeting in a smooth curve?

Look hard at the pin holes. realize that at the bottom, you're looking at the outside curve, which probably conceals a hook on the inside of the backstrap....

I don't know that it's true --- but I can dismiss the feasibility based on this photo....

Nik,

I can. I see from the photo that backstraps 2 and 3 are somewhat thicker, and presumably more rounded, that the backstrap that's on the gun. But given what I'm seeing, it looks to me like to go to a thicker backstrap you push out the pin at top, pull down on the backstrap, thus unhooking it from the frame (whether they do that with a spine on the frame and corresponding slot along the length of the backstrap like a CCF, or just a hook at bottom, or a combination of the two I don't currently know - or really care) but there is absolutely no way you're stacking backstrap 3 on top of 2 on top of 1. From what I see, it's a simple "tap out the pin, pull off the old backstrap, slide on a different backstrap, replace pin" situation.

Nik,

I can. I see from the photo that backstraps 2 and 3 are somewhat thicker, and presumably more rounded, that the backstrap that's on the gun. But given what I'm seeing, it looks to me like to go to a thicker backstrap you push out the pin at top, pull down on the backstrap, thus unhooking it from the frame (whether they do that with a spine on the frame and corresponding slot along the length of the backstrap like a CCF, or just a hook at bottom, or a combination of the two I don't currently know - or really care) but there is absolutely no way you're stacking backstrap 3 on top of 2 on top of 1. From what I see, it's a simple "tap out the pin, pull off the old backstrap, slide on a different backstrap, replace pin" situation.

Well Duane,

I only made a living in images for 13 years. You may very well turn out to be right ---- but I'm seeing things (and seeing places for attachments to hide) in that photo, that suggest that you could turn out to be wrong as well...... :devil: :devil:

Guess we'll know after SHOT.....