Glock Gen.4

JTew

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How do you know this? I don't see how that's possible. Let me hasten to add, I'm not saying necessarily that's not true, I just don't see how it's possible. There's no sort of slot on the faces of the backstraps to hook one into the other, and only one pin, at top, far as I can see in the photo. And if you stacked one backstrap on top of the other, wouldn't you wind up with a serious "step" at top where the backstraps come back considerably further to the rear than the grip tang instead of meeting in a smooth curve?

I was talking with a Glock rep about shooters with small hands he have been hiring. I mentioned the M&P. He said the next generation Glock will have a new back strap. Unlike the M&P and others out there where you have to remove one to use the other ours will stack.

I have not seen one I am just working off what he told me.

Our Rangemaster got to fire one on the range a couple months ago (didn't call me the SOB). The changes he told me about were the dual captive recoil spring similar to the subcompact models. This required a larger opening on the slide for the end of the recoil spring assembly, as well as a wider slot in the locking block for the same reason. The frame is too short front to rear to use the standard trigger housing assembly so they are using the one from the Glock 37 as well as the 37 trigger bar. He mentioned the backstrap inserts and said there were only two inserts (clearly different than the picture). But, you could shoot the gun without a backstrap in place for the smallest setting, or add one of the two inserts. He didn't mention anything about stacking of inserts. Not sure if the rep didn't know, or if they've changed backstrap systems once or twice.

As far as shooting it's very subjective, but he shot the Gen 4 side by side with a G22 RTF. He said there was no comparison. The Gen 4 was hands down softer to shoot and overall a better gun. Of course I didn't get a chance to shoot it (the SOB) so I'm relying on his words.

Duane, the mag release is NOT ambi, it is reversible.

Also, "Gen 4" is an option on the 17 and 22 for 2010. More may be added, but the Gen 3s will still be produced. Gen 3s increased case head support and upgraded the locking block.

The aftermarket should be happy with a bunch of new stuff since there is not much interchangeablity, and I can see a lot of "Custom" contoured backstraps coming out soon.

Almost forgot, the older magazines are not compatible with the new gun. Even the ambi cut mags. And for anyone that hasn't bought a Glock recently, the sights across the board have been upgraded. The new standard front sight is actually mounted the same way after market sights are with a little metal hex head bolt. The front sight is still plastic but at least it's a bit more durable.

Almost forgot, the older magazines are not compatible with the new gun. Even the ambi cut mags. And for anyone that hasn't bought a Glock recently, the sights across the board have been upgraded. The new standard front sight is actually mounted the same way after market sights are with a little metal hex head bolt. The front sight is still plastic but at least it's a bit more durable.

If the mags are different there's no way in hell I'm buying one. That seems like total market suicide, in fact.

If the mags are different there's no way in hell I'm buying one. That seems like total market suicide, in fact.

For our sport the mag release is the biggest thing I'm concerned with. The new mag releases require the new magazines- they need that detent in the front of the mag- you may have seen some with the small metal notches. My question is how well the new design works... and yeah- I have a bunch of older design mags- so I'm in no rush to get one either!

The notch in the front has nothing to do with the Gen 4 design. The notches for the Gen 4 are on the sides of the magazines, just like now, but there are two instead of one. One on each side. The front notch was for the Ambi mag release like the G21 had. Didn't seem to be that big of a success so I think they went with the reversible design. I'm not sure but I think the old mags might work with the new gun as long as you keep the release on the left side like the original. There also might be a way to fix older mags to work with the new design. One of the questions I'm sure will be answered in the next couple weeks.

I really wish that they HAD gone to the new "RTF-type" serrations on the slide.

Those serrations don't go all the way to the bottom, so those of us with big hands and a high grip don't get the "thumb knuckle looks like it's been sawn on by a dull steakknife" cuts on the tops of our hands.

My 22RTF is actually one of my favorite Glocks to shoot and teach with because of that.

The front notch was for the Ambi mag release like the G21 had. Didn't seem to be that big of a success so I think they went with the reversible design.

That is good to know!! I swear I saw some of my friend's 34 mags with the metal front notch so I'm glad they scapped the ambis!

Edited by lugnut

Almost forgot, the older magazines are not compatible with the new gun. Even the ambi cut mags.

There are some reports on a couple other forums from guys who have also handled the new Glocks. They claim that current mags can be used if the gun is set up for right handed shooters with the mag release on the left.

Almost forgot, the older magazines are not compatible with the new gun. Even the ambi cut mags.

There are some reports on a couple other forums from guys who have also handled the new Glocks. They claim that current mags can be used if the gun is set up for right handed shooters with the mag release on the left.

That sucks! Not a selling point.

So is this supposed to solve the alleged FTF's with a weapon mounted light? If so does anyone know how it's supposed to fix it? I haven't experienced these alleged problems myself but read it on the internet so obviously it's true.

Any 22s since about HERXXX, maybe sooner, have a sturdier locking block and shouldn't have problems with weapon mounted lights.

Do you know if you can upgrade older .40 cal Glocks (22 & 35) with these sturdier locking blocks?

Any 22s since about HERXXX, maybe sooner, have a sturdier locking block and shouldn't have problems with weapon mounted lights.

Do you know if you can upgrade older .40 cal Glocks (22 & 35) with these sturdier locking blocks?

I would think the block would probably fit in any three pin frame, but I haven't looked at them side by side to tell. We had a handful of failures with some of our issue guns (I got mine in 2002 with a serial EEX-xxx) and Glock replaced our whole armament for the price of new night sites in 2005. I don't think the problem wasn't isolated to our department. It was, from what I heard, only weapons with high round volume with the weapons mounted lights.

Edited by Calmwater

Rumors are fun!

Shot one lots, let me try to help.

1) The mag release is reservable, not ambi. So, the old mags still work if the mag release is set up for right handers. The new mags have a new cut on the left side of the mag for when it's set up for lefties. The new mags will also work in all the old guns.

2) The frame is smaller than gen 3's. To do this they changed the trigger housing to a SF style. The reach to the trigger is now about the same as an xd. There are 2 add-on backstraps. To increase the grip size the shooter adds these backstraps to the grip by snapping it to the bottom of the frame and it is secured on top by the frame pin. You cannot stack the backstraps. The smaller one brings the gen 4 back to the standard gen 3 size. The larger one brings it to a 21sf size.

3) The trigger bar appears similar to a G37, but the dimensions are different, although it does have the dimple on the striker safety tab like the 37. Also the 37 trigger bar has the same dimensions as the 17's and 22's since all have the same frames and springs.

4) The rep claimed softer and flatter shooting because of the new recoil spring. I didn't see that, I shot the gen 4 next to my gen 3 G22 and I could not tell any difference when both had stock springs. The gen 3 was definitely flatter shooting when using a 15lb ismi, of course. We'll just have to wait for aftermarket to catch up for the lighters springs. The new spring is a captured 3 spring deal that has 3x the service life of the old ones and "fixes" the 22's problems when lights are mounted.

5) By the way, they did not fix the light problems with a new block, they changed the mag springs. The rep stated that the heavy recoiling 40 in the small frames with a light was causing more frame flex which affected the timing, so that the slide was outrunning the mag springs.

I stand corrected. I recall being told about the frame flex and thought some of the guns had a broken locking block. If the prior 22s had a 17 pound spring, what were the springs on the replacement gen 3s? Forget that, you said mag springs. Why would they replace all of our GUNS over needing stronger mag springs? I didn't think anybody in the place I work could bargain that well.........

Edited for my misunderstanding which springs

Edited by Calmwater

Why would they replace all of our GUNS over needing stronger mag springs? I didn't think anybody in the place I work could bargain that well.........

This is speculation, but if you look at what's reportedly new that affects feeding, it's both recoil springs and mag springs. Even if the triple (double?) recoil spring has the same weight rating as the old single spring, it won't work identically in letting the slide move --- so you may need both changes to get solid reliability with a light....