Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Gen.4

JTew

Almost forgot, the older magazines are not compatible with the new gun. Even the ambi cut mags. And for anyone that hasn't bought a Glock recently, the sights across the board have been upgraded. The new standard front sight is actually mounted the same way after market sights are with a little metal hex head bolt. The front sight is still plastic but at least it's a bit more durable.

Really? I picked a new production model from GSSF in September. This change must have been REALLY recent.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rumors are fun!

Shot one lots, let me try to help.

1) The mag release is reservable, not ambi. So, the old mags still work if the mag release is set up for right handers. The new mags have a new cut on the left side of the mag for when it's set up for lefties. The new mags will also work in all the old guns.

2) The frame is smaller than gen 3's. To do this they changed the trigger housing to a SF style. The reach to the trigger is now about the same as an xd. There are 2 add-on backstraps. To increase the grip size the shooter adds these backstraps to the grip by snapping it to the bottom of the frame and it is secured on top by the frame pin. You cannot stack the backstraps. The smaller one brings the gen 4 back to the standard gen 3 size. The larger one brings it to a 21sf size.

3) The trigger bar appears similar to a G37, but the dimensions are different, although it does have the dimple on the striker safety tab like the 37. Also the 37 trigger bar has the same dimensions as the 17's and 22's since all have the same frames and springs.

4) The rep claimed softer and flatter shooting because of the new recoil spring. I didn't see that, I shot the gen 4 next to my gen 3 G22 and I could not tell any difference when both had stock springs. The gen 3 was definitely flatter shooting when using a 15lb ismi, of course. We'll just have to wait for aftermarket to catch up for the lighters springs. The new spring is a captured 3 spring deal that has 3x the service life of the old ones and "fixes" the 22's problems when lights are mounted.

5) By the way, they did not fix the light problems with a new block, they changed the mag springs. The rep stated that the heavy recoiling 40 in the small frames with a light was causing more frame flex which affected the timing, so that the slide was outrunning the mag springs.

I cut and paste the following off the Glockmeister website from the stock parts section.

Locking block, for Glock pistols.

http://glockmeister.com/product_info.php?c...products_id=277

Important Note: - If you are ordering for a Glock Model 17, 17L, 22, 24 or 31, please choose whether you have the new-style or old-style locking block. You can reference the picture below, to determine which you have. The new-style locking blocks were used on guns made after January of 2002. If you are not ordering for one of the models of Glock listed above, you can disregard the Locking Block Type option

I tried to cut and paste the photo of the two blocks but think I was unsuccessful. I will try and post the pic I have of the frame of my replacement 22 versus the block in my pre 2002 23.

LockingBlock.jpg

Edited by Flexmoney
add in pic and link.

Almost forgot, the older magazines are not compatible with the new gun. Even the ambi cut mags. And for anyone that hasn't bought a Glock recently, the sights across the board have been upgraded. The new standard front sight is actually mounted the same way after market sights are with a little metal hex head bolt. The front sight is still plastic but at least it's a bit more durable.

Really? I picked a new production model from GSSF in September. This change must have been REALLY recent.

We had a G-17 rebuilt by the factory in October and the replacement slide had the plastic front sight with a screw.

You may be right sir. Were there any 2 pin frames with finger grooves? When ISP went to the Glock 22, I am pretty sure the guns they rolled out all had the light rail and finger grooves. I also know we didn't exchange our guns until 2005. I am in our range program and I specifically recall the exchange being because of the frame flex with weapons mounted lights issue. Glock also pushed for some T and E with their light and not just the more common m3 lights.

You may be right sir. Were there any 2 pin frames with finger grooves? When ISP went to the Glock 22, I am pretty sure the guns they rolled out all had the light rail and finger grooves. I also know we didn't exchange our guns until 2005. I am in our range program and I specifically recall the exchange being because of the frame flex with weapons mounted lights issue. Glock also pushed for some T and E with their light and not just the more common m3 lights.

Yes, there were two pin 9mm Glocks with rails and finger grooves --- that change only happened a few years ago, standardizing on the new locking block style.....

My original 34s were only two pin....

I was just considering a stock glock .40 Hi Cap I think I will just wait until these are out. All my others are competition guns and a J frame doesn't get the blood flowing like a high cap I can take out to the match from time to time. I have small hands (rather short fingers to be exact) and the backstrap thing is a welcome change. You really can't beat a glock...many have tried but function and reliability can't be beat!

• 2 weeks later...
I was just considering a stock glock .40 Hi Cap I think I will just wait until these are out. All my others are competition guns and a J frame doesn't get the blood flowing like a high cap I can take out to the match from time to time. I have small hands (rather short fingers to be exact) and the backstrap thing is a welcome change. You really can't beat a glock...many have tried but function and reliability can't be beat!

Being the mod of General Glocking over at GlockTalk sure gave me the opportunity to read a lot of "opinions" on the new Gen 4. However, Chuck, no reason to wait, they are out, but I'd still go with a Gen 3. Now that several GTers have bought and shot them, sit-reps are coming in. What I have been able to glean as it relates to competition shooters:

Mag release better, trigger worse, recoil same. No aftermarket parts yet and since the trigger geometry is all different, it may be a while before good triggers are available. Backstraps...that is all feel, but will probably help some shooters get a better grip feel. Gen 3 has the upgrades we wanted, more chamber support, 3 pins and a better locking block reducing frame flex and adding longevity. Gen 3's will still be made, Gen 4 is an upgrade.

For LEOs probably a good step forward and this looks like the market Glock was after, especially with the backstraps. The screw on the front sight is sturdier than the flared plastic crap we all took off anyway, but good for LEOs that have to stay stock.

chp5: From what I can see of dimensions, the no strap frame (like a SF) will result in a slightly higher point of aim given a natural hold. The straps added tend to rotate the pistol up successively.

Their annual is on newsstands in the St. Louis area. Glanced at it at the grocery store earlier. There is of course a full article on the Gen 4. The wider pad on the mag release looked cool. Trying to decide if I would ever convert to using my thumb to drop a mag with the reversible release or if the middle finger of my left hand has been doing it so long I would leave well enough alone. Probably won't be an issue anytime soon for me, I don't see myself wearing my current guns out anytime soon.

Well, just got off the phone with Shelley Decker who is the very nice marketing lady at Glock in charge of sending guns out to gunwriters. My sample Gen-4 Glock 22 – the 17 is not yet available, damn it – is processing. I did say to her, “Hey, let me ask you something. The replaceable backstraps on this gun, that’s just a push out a pin, pull off the old backstrap, install the new, put the pin back in situation, right?”

“Right.”

“Cool. Because there was this guy on the ‘net saying they stacked on top of each other, and I’m like, ‘That doesn’t even make sense.’”

“You're right, that doesn’t even make sense. No, it’s just ‘push out a pin, install the new backstrap.’”

“Got it.”

I will be purchasing a Gen. 4 G17 as soon as they are available and will post exactly how different they are and will post differences in the trigger assembly because of the different angle. I expect the trigger pull to be heavier as the SF models are with the different angle on the trigger assembly. Maybe Charlie Vanek will get an early sample and work his magic and have parts available soon.

I had several of the new Gen-4s in my hands today:

1. The Trigger Bar is the same (improved for structural strength and less flex). Almost all parts are the same, with the exception of the mag catch itself and the Trigger Housing (that is similar to the SF trigger housing. There should be not issues at all relating to a trigger job. The dimensional differences in the SF trigger housings is at the bottom of the housing, not in the connector area. It shouldn't affect the ability to get a good trigger.

2. It APPEARS that magwells will be OK with a little modification to the "plug" that fits into the backstrap hollow. It appears to be a tad shorter from front to rear and it would need clearance cuts for the small internal ribs that align the backstraps. I don't think that you could run a magwell with the backstraps attached without major modification to the plug. There is hardly any room there with the backstrap installed.

3. Even though I have huge hands, I personally liked it without any backstrap inserts, because...

4. The mag catch button was in the perfect position for me without the backstraps and I wouldn't need any sort of extended mag catch, which I really need on the Gen 3s.

5. The SF dimensions of the frame (3mm shorter from the web of the hand to the trigger face) allowed my hand to get further under the "beavertail" tang, which eliminated my proclivity for getting my big hands cut by the slide cycling.

6. There is a new follower (#9). The shelf that engages the slide stop sticks out a little more for positive engagement whenever the leftie mag catch is installed.

7. The new RTF texture provides for a good grip and doesn't snag on clothing as much as the old RTF spikes.

8. The new dual-spring setup is a 15# spring, which exerts more consistent spring pressure throughout the entire stroke instead of "stacking" like a conventional spring. The aftermarket will have to catch up in this area, especially for the folks shooting Minor PF. I mentally toyed around with the idea of making a circular adaptor that will reduce the diameter of the spring tunnel so that present-diameter springs and guide rods could be used. The head of the guide rod would have to be made larger also, as the seating surface in the frame is larger.

Big advantage of the new spring set-up: The slide action is way less violent. I disassembled a gun that has a documented 23,000 rounds through it. The normal marks where the locking block smacks the bottom of the slide were not present.

8. The only negative (for me) is that Glock has completely discontinued the "shark gill" slide serrations. Having shot the heck out of a G-22 RTF with those, I really liked 'em. It won't even be offered as an option (I tried, because my department is spec'ing out their guns for this Fiscal Year.)

I can't wait to get mine next week!!!

And the replaceable backstraps affix how?

If what I've read elsewhere is correct, the small backstrap is permanently installed in the gun. The medium or large (pick one, not both at the same time) bolt on over top of that.....

My speculation is via a hook on the backstrap grabbing a crevice/lip on the frame at/near the void behind the magwell opening and then held at the top by a trigger housing pin --- possible a longer pin than the one used on a gun with the small backstrap.....

But I'm just guessing --- you'll know for sure before me....