Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would you heavy S-G users think of it in THIS PACKAGING?

I'm often asked to sell it in the ever-popular syringe, but that isn't as easy as it sounds. Most syringe manufacturers seem to have contracts with the folks that make the grease they package, and won't sell the syringes separately. Even if you can find someone to sell you the syringe, then you have to find some way to get the Glide in there. On a production bases, that would create a nightmare. Then you have the petroleum grease problem, which may eventually erode the O-rings commonly used in most syringes.

So, a friend who's familiar with these problems recommended this company to package the Glide. He said a friend used them and was very happy with their product and service.

A couple questions:

a. If I went to the tube, would I continue to sell it in the (2 oz) tub?

b. What size tube would be the most appropriate? The 30 ml (1 oz) tube is a whopping 6.5" long. That just seems too big for handy dandy use. Something between the 12 to 20 ml size seems more appropriate.

c. I could have it packaged in cool, easily identifiable colors.

:)

Maybe I should start a survey...

;)

Brian,

I'm assuming you have it packaged in the pharmaceutical tube? That tube looked like the most "shooter friendly" design to me.

Here's another idea: what about putting a 1/2 oz of slide glide in a unitpak, and still selling a 2 oz tub and brush. I'm real comfortable with the tub/brush routine, but on the road it would be sweet to have a handy tube of Slide Glide. I'm thinking I'd buy a "travel tube" for road trips, and still use the economical tub at home.

Just my thoughts.

Ray C.

The tube looks like the next best thing to a syringe for application. I think you could go to a tube exclusively, but for a few problems...

It would seem one is supposed cut open the tip and then it remains permanently open and non-resealable(?). This is OK, as SG doesn't get contaminated or harden when exposed, and shouldn't leak at room temperature. It's not OK if you accidentally squeeze it and it's unsuitable for throwing into your shooting bag with a bunch of loose, heavy stuff.

Are you sure you can't sell empty syringes? Leave it up to the consumer to transfer SG from a tub.

From the site:

Unit Pack is a study of effective package design. The EASY TEAR TIP is just that, easy to tear. Once the package has been opened, a metering channel remains. The channel provides directional control and is designed with an iris tip. Squeeze gently and the channel opens. Stop squeezing and the iris closes, protecting your product. The three dimensional shape and flexible wall assures easy and complete dispensing. The Saran Wrap TM film of the body will not crease or pin hole and strong radio frequency welding insures the package will survive abuse. Your product remains in perfect condition.
Are you sure you can't sell empty syringes? Leave it up to the consumer to transfer SG from a tub.

Don't think so. It's a loser from many angles.

be

Guest Larry Cazes

Brian, I think that the current tubs are just fine and would rather buy SG in these then the pharm/tube. The biggest problem that I see with this tube is that it cant be sealed once opened and will end up being very messy. I buy syringes through a chemical supply house and fill them with glide myself. If you sold empty syringes, I might buy them through you......

Larry

Any way to put the glide in a tube like Loctite comes in w/a screw top? I still like the tub though. As far as you're concerned, I think you'll sell about 10X the glide you do now if you go to a tube or a syringe. People don't realize just how efficient the tub and brush really are.

I am also fine keeping it how it is but agree a tube with a sealable top would probably sell more with a syringe selling the best. I dont really like the idea of not being able to completely close it off. I carry some in my range bag and that would be a mess. Een a toothpaste tube like flitz comes in.

For those intersted RF welding is used on a bunch of materials, even urethanes that liferafts are made out of.

What Eric said. When I first saw the tub and brush I didn’t think very much of it, but after using it, I can’t imagine using it any other way. Total control. That said, it would be nice to have SOMETHING a little more “range friendly” to throw in the bag. I’ve got the tub and brush in a baggie in my bag now but I worry about “accidents”.

I think I sell a lot of this stuff for you at the range; “hey this feels a little gritty, pull the slide off, I’ve got some stuff you’re just going to love!”

Ed

Tub & Brush is the best/easiest way to use it (but I didn't see that until I tried it). The grease I like to take to the range with me is a tube of RIG gun grease or a tube of Lithium grease only because it comes in a "Loctite" style tube with a screw cap. Do that with SG and you've definitely got a winner. Probably easier said than done though, I'll bet.

Regards,

Keep the tub for home use and go with smaller packaging for the range bag, free samples, etc.

Start dropping a free sample in the little tube into your orders for other stuff from the store and you will probably see sales go through the roof.

I love the stuff no matter how it is packaged. :)

The tub and brush likely have their place, but I have had my slide glide in a syringe for a year or so now. The only time I ever go to the tub is when I want to put some SG on the Dillon press...and that is just because I store the tub on my bench.

I am also in the camp with those that have suggested a tooth-paste tube like Loc-tite comes in...with the screw on cap.

Packaging is a vital part of bringing a product to the market.

Brian:

Keep it simple on YOUR end. If people want to put SG in a syringe, they will do so, if they want to put on using a cotton swab, toothbrush or rag, they will do so. Provide slide glide in the tub and let everyone do with it what they want. There is NOTHING wrong with the way it is sold now.

I did not like the tub when I first saw it, but after using it I changed my mind. I would like a small syringe, like the one Wilson's grease comes in with a top that you give a half turn to when you wish to dispense it. A small tube like Loctite would be nice for use on the range.

As far filling the syringes product dispensing isn't a very difficult thing to do, SG in it's grease form would be harder to do on a small scale, heated to a liquid state would be easier. For small scale use many of the things used to produce candles could be used to heat and pour SG into a syringe.

Most tubes like loctite are filled from the back side, not the cap and the ends are sealed with a ultrasonic welder. The Dukane welders are the ones I'm most familiar with but they're expensive.

Thanks for all the vibes everyone.

But by all means keep voting even if you don't feel like typing anything.

I feel the same as the "didn't know how well the tube/brush worked until I tried it" routine. I tried cramming it in a tube at the suggestion of friend once, but went right back to the tub. Maybe I should incorporate that on my S-G propaganda page...

be

I'll probably try the syringe method, but the tub works best IMO. It's easier to get ALL the product that you purchased out of it, too (I'm cheap... sue me).

Only suggestion I'd make for the tub: go to a screw on top.

I would think the current tub and brush would remain the most economical. A tube, as has already been suggested, with a resealable cap would be better to throw in the range bag. So I would vote for keeping the tub and adding a resealable tube.

After using it, I like the tub/brush method.

When at the range, I just leave the brush at home and use Q-Tips as disposable applicators.

Syringes can be bought at any drug store around here, so that's always a personal option. I liked the syringe packaging of the Shooters Choice grease I used to use, but the tip of it is much longer than a regular syringe.

It would probably be better to have this survey on another forum as well, such as the 1911forum (http://www.1911forum.com/forums/). You've got a loyal bunch of customers here who would likely buy SG if it was packaged in zip-lock bags.