Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

xl650 without casefeeder question

IMO, if you are considering buying a 650, don't even think of getting w/o a Casefeeder. You'll get real tired of stopping to fill that tube every 20 rounds. With auto-indexing, the Casefeeder really "ties the 650 together."

A couple links with some more info:

Dillon FAQ:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillonfaqs.html

“Which Dillon”:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html#which

be

I have a friend who is WAY too anally-retentive to have a casefeeder on his 650. He loads 40 SW and the tube will hold approximately 25 cases. He fills it and then stops on the 25th round to re-check everything on that round (Powder drop, OAL, etc.).

But, he is in the vast minority of 650 owners!!!

Edited by Braxton1

The 650 was designed from the ground up to work with the case feeder. I have this fact straight from Dillon. You really do need it to take the machine to its full potential. I spent 20 years loading on a pair of Dillon SDBs without a case feeder. Switching to a 650 (from Brian, natch) with case feeder was like taking off clodhoppers and putting on track shoes.

When I bought my 650 about three years ago, I wasn't going to get the case feeder. I was going to make a revolver style mechanism out of 4 pvc pipes that would hold 20-25 each. Figured I could fill the cases everytime I filled the primers. In the end I talked myself into getting it by thinking I was going to sell my RL450 to pay for it. I am glad I lied to myself that day. Still have the 450 and the 550 and the case feeder makes the 650 so nice. Buy the case feeder!

I bought my 650 when they first came out and was using it in a basement that had a low ceiling. I made my own case feeding system, it's a tray with a tube that fits over the Dillon feed tube a support tube that holds it at a slight angle. It hold about 400 9mm cases you have to stand them on end which is a little bit of a hassle but it helps you weed out the 380's 9x21 and 38's. I made one for Pat Kelley when we both lived in Spokane I don't know if he still uses it but he did for a couple of years anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Why no case feeder?? I'll tell you why... because by the time it reaches denmark it's well over $300! Being a student I can manage to stand up every 20 rounds and fill the tube and use the money saved on primers and powder. But I admit, I would love to have a case feeder... . and probably will buy one some day.

I've been thinking about getting some longer plastic tubes, that will probably help a little....

At one time Lee made a funnel like device that fit on the end of the feed tube. You threw in a hand full of cases and a baffle in the funnel turned most of them mouth up. Notice I said most of them, still a PITA but maybe better than nothing. I like my case feeder.------------Larry

I had a 650 with out a case feed for about 6 days. Thats how long it took for me to call Dillon and them to ship it to me. I made a deal with the Boss ( read Wife) to buy the 650 and get the case feed later. But after listening to me Swear 2 nights in a row she let me get the case feed for her peice and quite. :wub:

While all three of my 650's have case feeders, one can have a less expensive solution by adopting the Lee Load Master colander to the top of the tube. It actually works amazingly well, but you need an additional support - the tube alone will be too flimsy.

• 4 weeks later...

I first bought the 650 with plans to get the casefeeder at a later date. I found that the 650 was much slower to load on than my Square Deal B. The SDB was set up to be more ergonomic when feeding the case into the shell holder. Dropping a case into the top of the casefeeder tube was out of the way, and slowed things down. It also meant much more movement of the arm. While this is a small thing, the time adds up quickly.

I got a casefeeder much sooner than I had planned and life was better.

I sell Dillon and in 15years I have sold one 650 without a case feeder. That idea lasted about 3 months (or 4 reloading sessions).

BUY THE CASEFEEDER WHEN YOU GET THE MACHINE. Yes it is expensive once it gets to you. But it will be way cheaper than buying the casefeeder later and paying freight on just that.

I live in New Zealand. I understand the issues with freight etc. I consolidate and order as much aas I can in one hit, spreads the freight over lots of goodies. Get two or three people to go together and buy one each and split the freight, that is how we did the first tiome round, then I started dealing in them.

I have used the 650 w/o a case feeder for a little over a year now. i just couldnt afford a casefeeder when i bought the 650. and i got the 650 off ebay when ebay had the 35% off deal going.

having said that, i ordered the casefeeder the other day, so once i get it all setup im sure ill wonder how i ever did without it

I have used the 650 w/o a case feeder for a little over a year now. i just couldnt afford a casefeeder when i bought the 650. and i got the 650 off ebay when ebay had the 35% off deal going.

having said that, i ordered the casefeeder the other day, so once i get it all setup im sure ill wonder how i ever did without it

I don't own a 650, but this is one thing that kind of pushes me towards the LNL rather than the 650. I'll hold off for now, but being able to use the press effectively w/o stopping constantly to load the case feed tube, is a big + for the LNL.

I do have a question, in looking at the part explosion of the 650.. Why couldn't you remove the entire Case insert slide and Slide Cam, and feed the machine 550 style? Or is there some reason this would not work. I'd much rather do that, than stop every 15-20rds to feed the tube.. I've wanted to ask this question for a long time, so if anyone has the answer, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I don't have a case feeder... and here's why:

I live in Denmark, the most expensive country in the world! By the time the casefeeder reaches Denmark, it is subjected to shipping, import tax (30%) plus what the dealer makes on it... at the end of the day this amounts to $300! And a case feeder ain't worth that, not for a student like me anyways. I'd rather spend that on shooting.

And oh yeah... I paid a fortune for my 650... but love it to death!!