Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reaction Time

38supPat

i did a reaction time drill this afternoon (my side of the world) :) and i had an average of .30 of a sec. what's the average you guys can do this on demand? it may be different during an officila match coz you could slow down a bit. what i want to know is how fast could you go doing this drill?

also with the reload drill, i can on demand do a reload, from a shot do a reload and then take another shot, 1.20 secs. i think this was slow. what do you think huh guys?

ASTIG:

I reckon the reaction time depends on your age. I will be 50 in a few years and I run around .30. The under 30 crowd does it less. There is another thread on this very topic.

As for the reload, you won't be losing matches with a 1.2 second reload.  I average 1.45 seconds (at least I did last month) from shot to shot on an 8 inch plate at 10 yards. I run 1.3 average on a full size IPSC target at 5 yards.  Of course, there are a lot of guys who are faster.

hey ron, thanks for the info. i just got into reading the post you mentioned and my reaction time is a little tad slow for me comparing to the ones posted by others. i think i have to do something about it eh :)

thanks man. God bless

Listen for the very start of the beep, many shooters listen for the whole beep...then react. Some timers actually have a very minute 'click' before the actual beep starts, listen for this and act on it instead of the beeeeeep! Its kinda like reacting to lights when drag racing..see the light begin to burn, instead of watching the light come on. Theres really a huge difference.

The beep on most timers is between .30 - .50. If you act on the start of the tone, you can fire the shot before it finishes.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

I thought there was another post on the board which contained more times...if I find it I'll link post a link.

I did the reaction drill today.  I had the gun out, just pointed at the berm, when the buzz went off I fired.  My slowest times were .20, fastest was a few .12's.

Edit:  I used a PACT Mk-IV hanging on my the front pocket of my jeans, weak side.

(Edited by Flexmoney at 11:49 am on Dec. 6, 2001)

I did this drill three times and was .22 every time.  I was by myself at the time and I was wondering if there would be a difference in reaction times with the timer hanging on your belt as opposed to having someone hold the timer up to your ear as an RO would.

• 3 months later...

Try this, its based on a drag tree. on 'Stage' the screen goes yellow, then amber...followed .400 sec later by green. Ideally, for drag racers, they time it out so that you launch on the amber, and cross the line as the green hits. However, this is not true reaction time as they are looking for a .400 time. This is more of a learned timing, than a reaction. For true reaction time, wait for the green then click, subtract .400 from your time and you have actual reaction. eg I ran .50 to .53 - .400 = .10 to .13

Pat

http://www.nettally.com/silly34/reaction.htm

Pat:

Mine is the same as with my pistol and a timer. Kind of odd that a mouse button is about the same as a trigger and a visual cue the same as an audible one. I run around .19 and I think that's probably pretty normal for my age group. No smartass reply is required. :-)

OK, honestly, first try I got a message box that says:

Your response time is: 0.4 seconds

Nice, you oughtta go pro !!

Oops.

Kinda reminds me of when I hit a 24" gong a couple years ago with my 38 super at 450 yards on the first shot.  I unloaded and immediately put the gun back in my range bag before my two friends asked me to repeat it.  They emptied their mags trying to hit it.

Bret

O.k. problem is if you got a .400 you anticipated the green. Don't click til the screen goes green. I kept getting red lights at first cuz I'd react to the amber and click before the green even showed. Wait for the green you should have a .500 or higher time at least.

Unless you are into drag racing.

Pat

I seem to average about .62 with a lot of the "have you been drinking" messages, a few that wandered down into the low .5~ area, and one .2~ that was total luck.  

This sheds a lot of light on my failure to run 5 steel plates in under 2 seconds during our clubs .22 pistol matches!  My best at that has been something like 2.25 seconds so wasting .6 before I even react is kind of a killer.

Don't forget to try the reaction drills while at the range.  Have the gun pointed toward the target/backstop, prep the trigger and fire one off at the beep.

My par time is about .17 or .18, I got a few in the .13 range.

Man, that really screwed with my head!   The amber is gone before I know it!  Why is it when I'm shooting a bill drill with .20 splits (no heroic feat)  the time seems to go so slowly?   Think about it, (forget about the draw to first shot for a moment) so the second shot of the string starts the light to turning amber.   Time is at .000.    Next shot occurs while the amber light is lit.    Time is at .20.    The last shot turns the light off.  Time at .40.   The elapsed time for our three "A" zone hits is the same amount of time that the light on the simulator is amber.  

Drag racing is fun, but I'd rather hang out with you guys and shoot nice, slow, Bill Drills.  I need the quiet time between shots  to relax and let my mind wonder where it will.    

(Edited by bonedaddy at 7:26 am on Mar. 23, 2002)

Whoa Nelly, I think I'm shooting with the wrong hand!  Right handed I'm getting .62   Left handed I'm getting .56

I also tried right eye-left hand, and left eye-right hand no difference,  my left index finger is just quicker than my right.

I wonder if it has anything to do with how many times my right index finger has been broken?  It somewhat resembles a corkscrew!

Here's something else for you reaction-junkies.

<a href="http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2002-03/uom-brt032002.php">This article</a> talks about some reasearch on how the brain processes the outcome of gambles within 0.26 seconds, and also that choices made within a few seconds after losing are riskier. Perhaps this is tied to the crash-and-burn syndrome we love so well.

(Edited by shred at 1:42 pm on Mar. 26, 2002)

I tried all of these websites - the racing one just didn't work - not sure why but I kept getting the redlight for going too soon.

The one at happyhub worked, but I was consistently at either .33 or .27.

The one at flashmountain doesn't count cause I was laughing and forgot to hit the stop button :-)