Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One handed shooter - illegal equipment...?

Merlin Orr

Buddy I shoot with has a right hand only. Left hand blown off at wrist by using wrong ammo....

He shoots right handed and reloads at slide lock by sticking his locked back gun into the holster - reaching behind the holster (right side) grabbing a mag and sticking it in the gun. Re draws the gun and drops the slide right handed.

When at the command "unload and show clear" from the range officer he takes his nub arm and places it VERY firmly on top of the slide and racks the gun with the bare nub arm catching the rear sight and pulling the slide back - holding it by nub pressure - and shows clear.

Blood runs. . No complaints from him. (proud young man)

My question. Would it violate the spirit and intent of the sport if he wore a neoprene (wet suit sleeve) around a few inches of the nub to protect it while he racks the gun?

Would it violate the spirit and intent of the sport if he wore a neoprene (wet suit sleeve) around a few inches of the nub to protect it while he racks the gun?

I'd offer to hold the gun for him, while he racked it.....

....or let him wear whatever he wanted/needed to in order to avoid injury....

what type of gun is it. I knew a guy who only had a left arm, he shot CDP with a 1911, really well I might add. He would turn his body up range, stick the pistol in his armpit to reload. he could and did jack the action with one hand. he sometimes used the holster or his belt to cycle the action as well, kept the muzzle safe at all times.

My question. Would it violate the spirit and intent of the sport if he wore a neoprene (wet suit sleeve) around a few inches of the nub to protect it while he racks the gun?

Merlin..i would like to speak to the SO that would think it was....i'd say it would be fine for him to do that..

I wonder if someone could build him some sort of short slideracker

that still fits the box.

The way I look at this is anyone that would have any objections and is going

to try to match up some rulebook rule to an extra piece of equiptment for a guy

with one hand, that refuses to give up, should be the one to go home !!

Edited by P.Pres

Merlin, there's a man here in louisiana that has the use of one arm, he has come up with a shelf that mounts in the front like a revolver shooter, it holds two mags straight up, he reloads anytime he wants, just drop the mag and slam down and slide out, its really fast, just a thought for your buddy

Merlin, there's a man here in louisiana that has the use of one arm, he has come up with a shelf that mounts in the front like a revolver shooter, it holds two mags straight up, he reloads anytime he wants, just drop the mag and slam down and slide out, its really fast, just a thought for your buddy

IDPA or USPSA shooter?

IDPA or USPSA shooter?

I saw an article about him or that mentioned him and his equipment. USPSA open or limited. That could not be used in IDPA.

what type of gun is it. I knew a guy who only had a left arm, he shot CDP with a 1911, really well I might add. He would turn his body up range, stick the pistol in his armpit to reload. he could and did jack the action with one hand. he sometimes used the holster or his belt to cycle the action as well, kept the muzzle safe at all times.

Good trap and skeet shooter as well I may ad, had the pleasure to meet him when he moved up here....he would checker the front of his rear sight so he could rake the slide on his pants.

I admire these gents tenacity. Neopreme to protetct his arm would be a great idea.

I'd be happy to work on a slide racker for the guy... I'd need to know a bunch of details though. Have him email me at jt@quinn2.com and i will see what we can do.

JT

It would need to fit in the IDPA box with the lid closed. 8 ¾” x 6” x 1 5/8”

I'd be happy to work on a slide racker for the guy... I'd need to know a bunch of details though. Have him email me at jt@quinn2.com and i will see what we can do.

JT

I know we can work something out... Probably need the slide off it to make it happen.

Lots of really good views (and sentiments) expressed here so far. Thanks!

The guy, Jerry, does not want to do anything other than shoot heads up with whoever shows up. It was my idea (with lots of reinforcement from a bunch of others) to try to figure out a way to minimize his wasted motions (and blood) while shooting IDPA matches.... I am not real sure that he would do anything personally or add anything to his weapon that would require him to tell an away from home SO... "But.. I only have one hand."

I think he would much rather just take his licks and accept no quarter.

Hell - He may just spit in my eye when I give him the stump cover that Otto built for him.... ;)

I'll relate his response when I give him the Otto built stump cover....

JT

I know we can work something out... Probably need the slide off it to make it happen.

PM to ya.... :cheers: