Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One handed shooter - illegal equipment...?

Merlin Orr

what type of gun is it. I knew a guy who only had a left arm, he shot CDP with a 1911, really well I might add. He would turn his body up range, stick the pistol in his armpit to reload. he could and did jack the action with one hand. he sometimes used the holster or his belt to cycle the action as well, kept the muzzle safe at all times.

This is the only video I could find of our friend shooting. Our regular match got rained out so we were doing Texas star practice that day. The idea was the black plates were no shoots and you had to shoot one plate off each star first, just so you know why he’s shooting that way.

The gear he used was his everyday carry gear and not shown was him hitting an 8”X11” steel plate at 115 yards with one shot to win the pot (weak hand only of course) later that day. Truly an amazing shooter as he started out as a righty. He also never ran a full length guide rod but could rack a pistol in more ways than I can.

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jm...lv&newest=1

He shoots right handed and reloads at slide lock by sticking his locked back gun into the holster - reaching behind the holster (right side) grabbing a mag and sticking it in the gun. Re draws the gun and drops the slide right handed.

The only problem I can see with this is if the slide stop gets triggered and the pistol “jumps” out of the holster.

I hate to be the lone dissenting voice here, but the guy obviously doesn't want to be treated any differently from anyone else. He has asked to not be treated any differently than anyone else. From what we've been told here he's a proud guy, and probably has a - well-deserved - high sense of pride in being able to do everything that's required at the match with no special consideration. I'd just respect his wishes in this area.

I hate to be the lone dissenting voice here, but the guy obviously doesn't want to be treated any differently from anyone else. He has asked to not be treated any differently than anyone else. From what we've been told here he's a proud guy, and probably has a - well-deserved - high sense of pride in being able to do everything that's required at the match with no special consideration. I'd just respect his wishes in this area.

:cheers: Well taken.

Sometimes I may not know when or where to quit....

The line between being helpful, as you should be to every new shooter, and being (perceived) as pitying, or even condescending, does vary between individuals. The guys I shoot with at the match he frequents cut him no slack but do perhaps show a tad more respect to him than we do to each other... LOL..

Not that he has much to say about it but He lost his hand (and generally got buggered up all over) when he tried to give back some RPG projectiles he found laying in the sand to the guys who just hauled ass and left them laying there in a nice stack..

what type of gun is it. I knew a guy who only had a left arm, he shot CDP with a 1911, really well I might add. He would turn his body up range, stick the pistol in his armpit to reload. he could and did jack the action with one hand. he sometimes used the holster or his belt to cycle the action as well, kept the muzzle safe at all times.

This is the only video I could find of our friend shooting. Our regular match got rained out so we were doing Texas star practice that day. The idea was the black plates were no shoots and you had to shoot one plate off each star first, just so you know why he’s shooting that way.

The gear he used was his everyday carry gear and not shown was him hitting an 8”X11” steel plate at 115 yards with one shot to win the pot (weak hand only of course) later that day. Truly an amazing shooter as he started out as a righty. He also never ran a full length guide rod but could rack a pistol in more ways than I can.

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jm...lv&newest=1

totally amazing...any time a shooter just even thinks of messing up, quitting or having a bad day,should have to watch this clip over and over and over...

Duane,

you're most likely correct --- but we also can't have this guy bleeding all over the range after every stage. That's a complete non-starter from an environmental clean-up perspective.....

And yes, I realize that there's probably a greater perceived than actual risk here....

Can you remove and replace a mag while the gun is still in your holser ?

Sure. We don't like to see it in USPSA --- because with race holsters there's a risk of dislodging the gun toward the front --- but it's pretty well accepted in IDPA, which requires more substantial holsters.....

There's no rule prohibiting it in USPSA either --- since we have rules to deal with the consequences....