Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cleaning loaded ammunition

Papaw

I generally don't find it necessary but I have done so in a few instances when I got a little carried away with the One Shot lube. I've not experienced any problems but I do then check the cavity in the JHP to make sure there is no media caught in there.

I generally run all my loaded ammo for about 20 minutes to clean off lube. I use a vibratory cleaner, and can see no safety issue - it has an added benefit of shaking out any lose primers - great way to know if that piece of brass is too old.

Tumbler cleaners - I think this would be OK, as long as you fill it with sufficient media.

JMHO

Mark K.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually place my loaded rounds (about 25 at a time) on a towel, spray some vinegar free windex on them (not a lot) roll them around, then cover with another towel and roll around to dry and put it in case.

Squeaky clean, and if you use marker to identify your brass, it will actually stay on there.

This works great;

lightly soak middle of large towel with mineral spirits, add loaded rds to the towel and seesaw back& forth like cleaning a bowling ball for about a minute or two. Completely clean, shiny, like new ammo!

I actually place my loaded rounds (about 25 at a time) on a towel, spray some vinegar free windex on them (not a lot) roll them around, then cover with another towel and roll around to dry and put it in case.

Squeaky clean, and if you use marker to identify your brass, it will actually stay on there.

I do the same thing but with brake cleaner.

Will try window cleaner in the future. ($)

FM

• 2 weeks later...

I never tried Windex but did use low odor mineral spirits for a time. I use lead bullets tumble lubed with Lee Liquid Alox and the brass does get sticky with LLA from the loaded rounds dropping in the catch bin on my progressive and then dumping them into bulk storage.

I now lay 10 rounds in a row on an old bath towel, roll them back and forth to check for any problems (lead "ring" around case mouth, cracked case mouths, etc.) and then take a folded "microfiber" towel and lay across the row of rounds and press down and roll them back and forth. I don't use any solvent. The microfiber towel does an amazing job of cleaning the brass and even cleans up the bullets a bit. I then transfer the rounds into plastic ammo boxes.

WyoBob

• 12 years later...
  • 1 year later...