Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun

Rufus The Bum

I'd prefer not to get a competitor or "factory" open gun because they are in fact just that "factory guns" I need ones thats ready to run.

From my expereince, most custom guns aren't ready to run out of the box either. They need a few thouand rounds through them to loosen up. Then you will probably need to make several adjustments to get it just he way you want.... extractor, trigger , recoil spring.....And FWIW my box stock EDGE ran 100% from day one. However if you get a custom gun you can get it the way you want and not have to make costly upgrates to a factory gun. Its either pay me now or pay me later.

How about a used Open gun? By far more bang-for-the-buck than a new one. So long as it isn't shot out or in something obsolete like 9x25 or .45ACP ;) , you should be way ahead. Technology there hasn't changed seriously in a while.

To mimic Shred...there seems to be some decent "used" open guns currently on the market, particularly with some guys needing money for bills or building something else over the winter. If you're a USPSA member, go to the "Members" link and then click on the "Classified Ads".

If you find one, and live too far away to see, handle, & shoot, then try to get as many referrals as possible...pistolsmith, description details, pics, components used, etc.

I've found 2 decent deals over the last couple years that prevented me from needing to go the route of new blaster, but did end sending one off to Benny Hill for reliability tweaking. Generally, you can get a decent gun with some mags included as well.

If you go this route, good shopping...ask a lot of questions!

It's nice when you find that a GM shooter is switching brand/sponsor & selling his guns. Then you know they work & that the guns are really tweeked for speed too.

Also can sometimes find a M/GM shooter just wants a newer gun because he's got 15K rounds on the barrel and he "can notice the groups open up from 1/2inch to 1 inch." Those can be good deals. You might have to buy new mags - SVmags are pretty good out of the box.

Guys leaving for military service, getting married...

Just beware the guy with a uspsa number who hasn't shot in 6 years but has an ad in there every single week. <_<

Whoa, since when is a $3000 foo-foo blaster a "budget" Open gun?

Since shorties, and their extra work, became en vogue?

You should be able to have almost anything you want, save fancy machining and finishing, for $3000 and get a basic blaster for $2500.

If you think that $3000 is a budget gun, I'll sell you a lightly seasoned matching PAIR of shorties in supercomp for $4000 and you will be all set :D JL Hardy builds a fine gun. He frequents these pages and specializes in the short gun in 9mm major. His turn around times are excellent as are his prices. Let me know if you want his contact info,

From my expereince, most custom guns aren't ready to run out of the box either. They need a few thouand rounds through them to loosen up. Then you will probably need to make several adjustments to get it just he way you want.... extractor, trigger , recoil spring.....And FWIW my box stock EDGE ran 100% from day one. However if you get a custom gun you can get it the way you want and not have to make costly upgrates to a factory gun. Its either pay me now or pay me later.

How does the competitor fair without having a hybrid barrell? Any noticeable difference between hybid and non-hybrid?

I cringe every time I RO someone with one of those Hybricomps, especially if their shooting through a port in a wall, it just blasts you in the face something terrible.

I've shot only one non-hybrid open gun (comp only) and it wasn't too bad, but he had one of those great big beer can scopes on it and I really couldn't get an idea of how the dot would move if it were a CMore.

I have been using guns built by Brazos Custom for few years now. I have had all of them run out of the box no problem. They are custom built for you not a factory gun. Bob Londrigan will fit the gun to your hand, provide the load data and the gun is ready to race. There is a lot of time he spends getting the details worked out based on your current ability/class. They have excellent resale value once you make the decision to upgrade or change things. The BCG Pro Series is $3299.00 including the STI Frame and FET. Go to the web site and check it out. Call Bob and you'll see the personal attention I speak about.

Brazos Custom

I have owned six so far between Limited and Open. They stand behind the product.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still a huge fan of the SVI IMM. It's a hybrid :P and it works great.

Within two weeks of recieving it and very little practice and no set up time, I shot the US Nationals with it and placed 30th overall with absolutly no probs with the gun. I still haven't touched the gun (no fancy grips or shaving the stock grip, no tweaks or polishing or anything) pulled the gun off the shelf and shot a 50 round match. No probs, gun ran flawlessly. (I didn't even sight it in before hand)

If I was about to build an open gun again and the budget is at 2.5K then I'd seriously think about getting a short block in 9mm, get the Cmore holes drilled and go from there. Getting it reamed will probably run $50-75, getting the blank hybrid barrel first then get the holes milled later one at a time will be my option. I think I'd probably get away in building a Cmore topped open gun on an STI short block with less than 2.5K minus the chrome finish. I know someone that will put lightening cuts for $100 as long as they are not that fancy. josh