Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it really a penalty for ejecting an empty mag

Alwaystryin

The scenario is triple tap 3 targets before moving to the next position.

I have a 9+1 1911. I let the mag go on the way to the next position so I get there with 10.

I get a Procedural for not retaining an empty mag.

Assuming the call was correct, why should I retain an empty mag?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why... I've asked that locally as well. But that is what the rules say, you have to shoot till the gun is empty if you are going to drop the magazine and leave it lay if you don't want the penalty.

Edited by dvc40jim

I was told it was a safety issue and that was why to shoot till dry. Also IMO at least, shooting until slide lock is one of the fastest reload methods out there.

As for the real reasoning, I will have to defer to the IDPA Home office guys for that one.

Here is why I believe it is a rule...

IDPA is all about defensive pistol and they don't want gaming even though they take score and you are timed. In real life, you would not be counting your shots and you would shoot till empty or do a tactical reload if there was no eminent danger. If you do a combat reload (ie. not retaining mag), it is faster than doing a tactical reload or reload with retention. That would give you an advantage since you would already have one in the chamber and would not have to drop the slide.

Counting your shots and dropping the mag with one in the chamber then reloading is not real life and IDPA is more about real life defensive pistol than practical shooting (USPSA).

I don't shoot much IDPA so this is not intended to be in defense of IDPA, but just why I believe it is a rule. Hope this makes sense.

Randy

Yes, Randy said it. And then Steve said it. And now me.

It is an attempt to structure the game away from the "choreography" of IPSC. Which I thorough enjoy, BTW, I get out there and take sight pictures, plan my steps, look for my alignment points, rehearse my mag changes, check my angles, and dump partial magazines between arrays just like everyone else.

But not when I play IDPA.

The scenario is triple tap 3 targets before moving to the next position.

I have a 9+1 1911. I let the mag go on the way to the next position so I get there with 10.

I get a Procedural for not retaining an empty mag.

Assuming the call was correct, why should I retain an empty mag?

I have been dinged for that at least 3 times. Slow learner!

Been dinged for this myself a few times. Once I got really hosed. Mag I was using failed to lock the slide back when the gun went dry - I dropped the mag and inserted a fresh one. You guessed it - 3 seconds more to my score.

Forgot to mention that I racked the slide, but all the R/O saw was the slide down and that empty mag hitting the ground. He missed the slide rack. Oh well, sometime these things happen.

Been dinged for this myself a few times. Once I got really hosed. Mag I was using failed to lock the slide back when the gun went dry - I dropped the mag and inserted a fresh one. You guessed it - 3 seconds more to my score.

Thats a malfunction !!!! I would have argued that one until the end.

Thats a malfunction !!!! I would have argued that one until the end.

+1

If the SO is watching the gun, he or she will see the mag coming out and watch to see if the slide needs to be racked or there is a round in the chamber allowing the shooter to go on.

Should have given the SO a procedural. :surprise: The SO should have been watching the gun and during a reload he should have been watching even closer to check for finger on the trigger during the reload, muzzle direction and such.

Forgot to mention that I racked the slide, but all the R/O saw was the slide down and that empty mag hitting the ground. He missed the slide rack. Oh well, sometime these things happen.

Whoops!

Boy, IDPA sounds WAY too complicated! Not like USPSA at all, where everything is clear and concise. Man, they have a different rule for everything! (I especially like the cute little empty surrender hands, LOL)

Yes, Randy said it. And then Steve said it. And now me.

It is an attempt to structure the game away from the "choreography" of IPSC. Which I thorough enjoy, BTW, I get out there and take sight pictures, plan my steps, look for my alignment points, rehearse my mag changes, check my angles, and dump partial magazines between arrays just like everyone else.

But not when I play IDPA.

If you play it then it must be a game of some sort right, so where does all the tacticool crap come from. If you surveyed officers in the field most of them are not playing by the rules of the IDPA game either.

Edited by LPatterson