Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you feel you are are good shooter?

lugnut

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, from your brief opening post - I wonder if you take matches too seriously? If that rings a bell, set a firm resolve to shoot a few matches without caring one bit whatsoever about how you finish.

Just enjoy being there and see what happens.

be

Wow... that would be so hard... really hard. I don't kill myself over them but when I feel that a few poor shots cost me a match win or better place- yeah I have a hard time with that.

Don't get me wrong- when I'm preparing for a stage and/or when the buzzer goes off all I think about is doing what I train to do... not about beating anyone. Matter of fact I often like to squad with people I don't compete with... it just distracts me. But ultimately I DO care about where I finish for sure.

But not caring at all... man I'll try. Either way- I do have fun and enjoy myself thoroughly.

That's good to hear.

And yes, truly not caring is very hard to do, for pretty much everyone probably. There was either a good thread on that lately, or a good thread with good posts in it on not caring. If I see it I'll link it here.

be

the hardest part for me to shake was that its the stage that i am competing against, notthe people, its up to me, to forulate the plan and execute it to best complete the stage within my equipment/skill level

once i got past the part of ignoring the guy in my face sayin he was gonna 'beat me like a drum' that day....hey, it was time to have fun, as i get older i learn that stages and or whole matches have many different complexities on many different levels to play with your mind, its up to you, as to if you are gonna let them...

am I a good shooter?? tough to answer, I am better than when i first started 20 yrs ago, and I am always learning as i go, one thing aboutthis sport, not cool to stand pat on the knowlege aspect of it....

Somedays I feel like a great shooter, others I feel like a big donkey.

I've always felt that I can always do better.

I just recently made my B card in Limited, L-10 and Prodution but I feel that I'm not competitive as a B shooter.

Am I being too negative? Am I being too hard on myself? Probably and definately

My shooting buddies say that I shoot great and they are all M shooters. I had a GM tell me that I have a lot of talent and can be really good.

I guess it comes down to the fact that I can be a great shooter, but it all is in my hands. I don't pratice or dry fire nearly as much as I should

I took 2008 off from shooting and my scores reflected that. Now that I'm back to shooting full time, my goal is my A card in Limited, L-10 and Prodution. I know how to get there, I just have to get of my a$$ and do it.

You have to have goals, my A card is my goal for now. After I reach that, M will be my goal.

Link to what I am referring to

In every barrier and tier of my shooting journey I felt like I was chained watching the shadows of the next level. Once I broke free I found myself in bondage again of a whole new level of shooting...a whole new mindset...

Given the inherent personal interpretation of "good" I would have to say that I am not a good shooter. There is always another level...always something to be learned.

Link to what I am referring to

In every barrier and tier of my shooting journey I felt like I was chained watching the shadows of the next level. Once I broke free I found myself in bondage again of a whole new level of shooting...a whole new mindset...

Given the inherent personal interpretation of "good" I would have to say that I am not a good shooter. There is always another level...always something to be learned.

..... but since that never goes away for us perfectionists .... at some point you have to tell yourself you are good. Or where do you find the confidence to instill in your subconscious, that "I can do this" . I can win. I am "good enough".

Outside of competition shooters, you bet, I'm damn good. Inside the circle of people who compete and posted above me, ....... Hey man, I'm just a "B". I'm just learning that "I don't know", kinda scary. I shoot competitively for 5 years and find after that time I'm just getting glimpses of the knowlege and skill required to keep improving. Kinda like reading Brian's book 4 years ago and understanding very little, then rereading it a couple months ago and the light bulb is a little brighter. Now I know more and it is more exciting and scary at the same time, because I also realize how much I don't know.

Edited by fourtrax

Jake hit it on the head.

What is "good" or "good enough"?

Maybe you have learned when you realize that "good" or "good enough" doesn't matter.

These are the trappings of ego.

If you have practiced, paid attention without judging, then you don't need to tell yourself or convince yourself that you are good. You will just perform, that's all you can do. To tell yourself that you are good, or can win, or are good enough tells me that deep down there is doubt. When there is no doubt, theres nothing to be convinced of.

You will just perform, that's all you can do. To tell yourself that you are good, or can win, or are good enough tells me that deep down there is doubt. When there is no doubt, theres nothing to be convinced of.

And with that, you will notice that earlier today, I added a new line to my signature ....... :)

You'll start shooting with less doubt in matches once you've removed all doubt in practice - Brian Enos

Self image has a lot to do with good performance.

I am a good shooter. I mean that matter of fact, not with arrogance or ego. Some people read or hear this and get their panties bunched up. Not what I am trying to do. There can be a lot of freedom and progression with a positive self image.

As they say, the enemy of great is good.

This is almost a chicken or egg conversation. The never ending quest to improve nearly forces one to believe that s/he isn't good, or at least good enough, and yet to some extent there is the need to recognize a degree of competence so one can have the confidence to execute.

If I go shoot a round of skeet and shoot 25 birds am I good? Good enough? Possibly. Say I go 100 for 100. Am I there then? 400 for 400? 4000 for 4000? It's tough to say.

To some extent this whole dynamic boils down to simply understanding capability and capacity. You test your capability, and extend your capacity, during practice. The more you practice the better you are capable of executing, and the capacity of things you can execute increases. Then, when you go shoot, you simply execute what you already know you can do.

Jack

• 4 weeks later...

It's certainly a continuum that goes from 'few skills learned' to 'many skills learned and honed', I think. But, I've seen two Big Things in my short journey so far. The first Big Thing is how awareness is both Good and Evil, and the second is how knowing what to do provides a focus for Good awareness, and how Ego provides a focus for Evil awareness.

I am very good shooter when I know what to do and I do it. I am a very bad shooter when I think about what others think about me and I do something, apparently, to protect my ego.