Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how do I do this tactfully?

fastarget

racerba,

Thanks for the reply. Can I go against my other fellow SOs recommendations? Should I try to find the MD and insist on something done? It is my stage after all, and I have already decided that the rule book is king from now on, but how to convince the rest?

Easy.

Ask if they's rather keep this guy around...who can't seem to be in compliance with the rules very often...or if they's rather lose the shooters (and SO's) that do follow the rules.

I wouldn't say it as an ultimatum or threat, but they really need to think it through and see the real consequences.

(you will probably see the light bulb go on for them...if you say it right)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. Let me explain, glock 35, with huge alum magwell. previous SOs have brought that to his attention but it has stayed on. but then I noticed his barrel was ported also and there was no muzzle rise. What is my place as an SO of a stage, and how far do you go to keep the peace?

At recent sanctioned IDPA matches, they have been giving a match DQ for equipment that doesn't fit any division. This gun doesn't fit.

At the next match I would have my stage be a "start with the gun in the IDPA box" stage. When the gun doesn't fit just give the guy his match DQ. If the MD doesn't back you up then I would stop being a SO at that club. :angry2:

In one of my local USPSA shoots the guy running the matches always loads up his Glock to 17+1 in production, nobody says anything but we like to count rounds while he shoots, sort of amusing, nobody really cares because he never does very well. But you'd think the match director would lead by example and follow the rules!

Perhaps a double standard, but the shooter on a shoestring whose only centerfire handgun is a 6" .38 revolver is welcome on my range, but the guy who owns more guns than the next three of us combined got hounded into leaving his ported barrel at home.

I don't think an outlaw or game gun fake division is a good idea, it will just encourage people to show up with non-compliant guns and gear. If they want trigger time, all they get is range commands, their scores will not be posted where they can use them for bragging purposes.

Is it that hard to show the rules that this guy is breaking to him in person before the match starts and give him the choice to either change equipment to become compliant or shoot the match for no score or in Outlaw division?

Alternately you can bring a list of the other matches taking place along the front range where his equipment would be legal to shoot. It says that you are in the Rocky Mountains so I assume that you are in Colorado. There is a TON of shooting activities available to attend along the front range of Colorado each month. 1 IDPA match, 10 USPSA matches, 6 Steel matches, 1 Bianchi match, and probably 5+ home grown IDPA/USPSA/Steel style matches that are not affiliated with a sanctioning body. That is a boat load of matches available to attend and there is no reason why this guy can’t find a shooting activity that suits his equipment.

I wouldn’t say turn the guy away from shooting the IDPA match if he wants to shoot. But if he does want to shoot make it clear that he has the choice of complying with the rules to shoot for score in one of the divisions, or to not comply with the rules and shoot in Outlaw division or simply not given a score. It’s as simple as that. I don’t know why that would be so hard to convey to the shooter in question?

I don't understand what the issue is. Your job as an SO is to insure the safety of the competitors and record the performance and infractions.

You're not doing anything but the paperwork. If the gun isn't legal, it isn't legal. There are plenty of guys that showed up with legal gear and their results shouldn't be effected by someone operating outside the rules.

Record the penalties that the shooter incurs. If they have an issue, let the MD make a final ruling. Your job is administrator.

He would have gotten an FTDR for illegal equipment due to th 12 round mag at my club.

I agree with what was said before. If it's the only gun he has, I'd be fine with it. Sounds like he is using it as an excuse to get an advantage. I would be pissed if I followed all the rules and got beat by someone who didn't. I don't know many people who have a tricked out G35 as their only gun.

Intentional, perpetual rule breakers are no fun to be around. For you, or for other decent club members who actually have sportsmanship in their veins.

Yeah, I'm agreeing with you. If the guy's cheat, call him on it and don't worry about his feelings. It will be a good example for everyone else. As it is, the example being set is that it's ok to cheat and the SO won't do anything.

I would not worry about tact. He is disrespecting you, the other shooters, the club, the range, and IDPA so I am not sure any amount of tact will get the point across. The shooter doesn't seem to want to shoot as a member of the club or IDPA so there is no worry whether he is gone forever.

• 4 weeks later...

Update,

We held a match today, great weather and even greater shooters.

The shooter in question made a point to come up to me and show me that his gun was legal(barrel had been replaced) since he did not want to have to argue about it. I told him that if he had any questions to discuss them with the MD, but he was pleasant enough and wanted to play. He definitely was not as fast as the previous match, had a few misses and on my stage had a hit on a non-threat. He was quite disappointed. I encouraged him, told him to flow with the next stage and I thanked him for coming out to participate. we are after all growing a club.

We occasionally have a few guys who want trigger time with their open guns.

Sometimes we just don't do their scores. Other times they get put in a separate "division" like "Tom's Cheatin' Open Scoped Gun" at the bottom of this match.

That's cool.....just goes to show you it's the Indian and not the bow. ESP Master beats a guy with an open gun by a second.

DaG

I am not trying to bash IDPA but this is the primary reason I will not shoot IDPA at our local club. They have different rules for different people. It is unfair to all the other competitors if you allow one or two to break the rules for any reason.

"I am not trying to bash IDPA but this is the primary reason I will not shoot IDPA at our local club. They have different rules for different people. It is unfair to all the other competitors if you allow one or two to break the rules for any reason. "

Not sure I agree with your statement. This as far as a young club tryng to take off was a good ending........In any sport we have people attempting to win at any cost.

Most shooters are there to play the game and have some fun. Making this particular gentleman aware that we know he is sinning and allowing him to correct his behavior succeeded. We kept a member, and worked out the problem. At our morning hudle we all agreed to look a little closer and to this shooter in particular. We had planned to place him in his own class, except he decided he wants to shoot and be counted.

Overall, IDPA tries to offer a game, without making the rules overly complex. But like any game you have to learn HOW to play. It should not be biased, try it you will like it.

Edited by fastarget

always nice to have a happy ending to a situation..........so how did you do???? :mellow:

Not sure yet, the results are not out, I could have done better at one stage, but overall it felt good , and a great time was had.

Keep in mind, that morning I set up the classification course, and my own stage. SOs have to rush and shoot other stages when they get the chance. In many cases that does not give you a chance to watch and digetst a stage.

• 1 month later...