Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Cleats

jkatz44

I have a wide foot so most of the shoes mentioned here won't work for me. I tried New Balance MF825's. I was able to get them in 4E's. They do not have as aggressive cleat as some of the shoes I looked at but I found them to work well on a variety of surfaces from grass to gravel. At the 09 Illinois Sectional we went from grass to mud to wood surfaces, I had no trouble with footing, understand that I don't move as fast as some of you speed demons. I paid around $80, that's higher than many but I've not had good luck with cheap shoes.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who offers wide widths? I just have to have at least an E width. Any Nike product I have ever looked at did not come in wide widths and I am assuming the Land Sharks are the same story.

FWIW I found some wide Land Sharks on ebay.

The Adidas Corner Blitz worked well for me in the mud at Area4. I wore them with a pair of SealSkinz waterproof socks the first day. I didn't end up needing the waterproof socks that day, but I think it will prove to be a pretty sweet setup in the rain. :cheers:

The Adidas Corner Blitz worked well for me in the mud at Area4. I wore them with a pair of SealSkinz waterproof socks the first day. I didn't end up needing the waterproof socks that day, but I think it will prove to be a pretty sweet setup in the rain. :cheers:

any more choices for cleats

My vote goes to Adidas Men's Turf Hog LE Mid Baseball Cleat.

I think the down-side of finding the right shoes is, you don't really get to find out whether you have made the right decision in selecting a good pair until after you've used it; and it's already too late to return it. So, just like what Jim Norman said, take 20-30 minutes to try it in the store (you can also go technical on it by figuring-out your arch-type first).

--Noel

I think the down-side of finding the right shoes is, you don't really get to find out whether you have made the right decision in selecting a good pair until after you've used it; and it's already too late to return it. So, just like what Jim Norman said, take 20-30 minutes to try it in the store (you can also go technical on it by figuring-out your arch-type first).

--Noel

Excellent idea. In fact, I dare you to bring your whole rig into the store with a timer and set up some full size dryfire stages.... it's the only way to be sure. :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

--Noel

Excellent idea. In fact, I dare you to bring your whole rig into the store with a timer and set up some full size dryfire stages.... it's the only way to be sure. :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

I use the Nike LT 2.1 Shark Football Cleats. I've been happy so far. The cleats are fairly soft and have decent traction on wood / bridges / etc... However, in mud, gravel, loose dirt or grass they are excellent.

When I was shopping I had the clerk bring out several brands and I did a "skid" test on the tile floor at Dicks. The sales guy looked at me like I was crazy. He asked "what are you using them for?" When I answered "competitive shooting" he looked a little nervous, as if my craziness was confirmed, and he walked away...

I use the Nike LT 2.1 Shark Football Cleats. I've been happy so far. The cleats are fairly soft and have decent traction on wood / bridges / etc... However, in mud, gravel, loose dirt or grass they are excellent.

When I was shopping I had the clerk bring out several brands and I did a "skid" test on the tile floor at Dicks. The sales guy looked at me like I was crazy. He asked "what are you using them for?" When I answered "competitive shooting" he looked a little nervous, as if my craziness was confirmed, and he walked away...

any more options

I gave up on cleats all together and went with these

http://www.shoes.com/Shopping/productdetai...ELAID=254621861

the Adidas Terrex Low trail shoe

it is waterproof, has very good support, and excellent traction on all surfaces.

I wore these all over this year from Area6 to Mississippi Classic, Area5 to Indiana and Illinois Section and the Ohio Section. All kinds of different surfaces, gravel, grass, dirt, mud, water, wood, metal and never once had any issues and had dry feet the whole time!!

it is waterproof, has very good support, and excellent traction on all surfaces.

I wore these all over this year from Area6 to Mississippi Classic, Area5 to Indiana and Illinois Section and the Ohio Section. All kinds of different surfaces, gravel, grass, dirt, mud, water, wood, metal and never once had any issues and had dry feet the whole time!!

man, all of these choices got me more confused than when I started

I only have used cleats when it was muddy or soft. Out here in the West, that does not happen much or at least not for me.

I usually shoot in a shoe from Merrel called a Moab Ventilator. Basically it is a low cut hiking shoe.

man, all of these choices got me more confused than when I started

I have used Land Sharks-they got wet and ruined at Area 8 'cause I couldn't dry them out -had to drive home 12hrs. They just disintegrated. However, they are not expensive and are good for traction. I would buy them again. I am using Underarmour Hammer II's now, low cut and great traction. A little more money. I also have a pair of Merrells Cruiser Trail Running shoes as an option. If it's really nasty, I can use my Danner Mountain II's-my hiking boots for the next twenty-five years. Check out Eastbay, they have everything. They have a catalog which I would get, because they run sales and specials and there is stuff in the catalog that is not on the net. Danners you get from Danners. It's good to have a couple of pairs of shoes just in case. I love the old pictures of Ray Chapman using plain vanilla Adidas, which might not be a bad option now. Don't sweat it too much, you'll get your own preferences soon. If you shoot a lot, expect to get at least one new pair of shoes a year, if not more.

even before my wide feet got completely out of hand, there is basically nothing outthere, saveforthe new balance, but up until the last yr or so(dr's orders) I was shooting out of a pair of Teva terra-fi's??? sandals yr round spring/summer/fall....was really a blessing atthe delugethat was the 01' nats, people thought i was nuts shooting in em, till i was sloshing thru the water and mud with aplomb.....

I recently switched to the Timberland Inferno. I have to say that the bottom is not firm like cleats so it makes moving and shooting easier and they grip very well on ALL surfaces.

\\http://www.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3704384&cp=1779791.1761081.3720047&camp=MS:TMA:Link:NA:TBL&parentPage=family