Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Expiring Primers?

Irate

I have recently heard whisperings of plans that the govt has to begin making loaded ammunition and reloading primers that simply are no good after a period of time. Now granted this makes absolutely no sense what so ever and is completely illogical, but I am posting this just to see if anyone has heard anything about it.

i

That rumor went around in 1994 as well. When I asked the chemists about it they said there was nothing that they could put in the primers that would kill it that wouldn't kill it RIGHT NOW - no waiting 6 months or whatever. Even if it were true, the liability that would come with it makes it a no go.

Guy

The only thing I ever found last time was the non-lead styphenate primers that PMC marketed for a while....supposed to be less toxic...with a shelf life of 5yrs...um...they didnt sell very well, and they are no longer with us....

DougC

no worries about primers expiring, will never happen, no market for em, so no need to make em, besides the profiteers and hoarders are all we have to worry about atthis point.....with gold hitting over 1000 dollars an oz. are primers that far behind per 1000????

:ph34r: Is this misinformation "OR" is this discredited correct information ?? :ph34r:

Tin foil hat off !!

On a recent related note, I had this one box of 100 Federal LPP sitting on a shelf for like 5 years and I

finaly loaded them last week. All the loads with these 100 primers were minor and hardly cycled the

gun ??

They could have started years ago ?? :roflol:

Edited by P.Pres

It's TRUE!

Send all of your unused primers to me for proper disposal! PM me for shipping details!

:ph34r:

I have lots and lots of primers that have expired....You can tell by the little dent in them :closedeyes:

Jim :goof:

I heard that after you expired them if you placed them upside down on a steel plate and used a small punch and hammer to remove the little dent they were renewed.------------Larry

It's TRUE!

Send all of your unused primers to me for proper disposal! PM me for shipping details!

:ph34r:

I have lots and lots of primers that have expired....You can tell by the little dent in them :closedeyes:

Jim :goof:

I heard that after you expired them if you placed them upside down on a steel plate and used a small punch and hammer to remove the little dent they were renewed.------------Larry

I'm looking for primers designed for left-handed shooters. Naw, I'm really not doing that, mainly because I'm right-handed. But I had to make my first post somewhere. Might as well do it here and get it over with. My next post will make more sense. Thanks for not throwing up. :rolleyes:

Did Boz just say Astroglide????

About 5 years or so a group of shooters in Rochester, NY ("Team Shroom") approached Astorglide looking for a shooting sponsorship. I don't think they got a big sponsorship, but Astroglide sent them samples to pass out at the Area Championship.

LEAD FREE OR NON-TOXIC PRIMERS HAVE A 5 YEAR SHELF LIFE

I am a little disappointed in all the jokes here about this topic, since non-toxic primers DO have a shelf life. Doug Carden pointed this out several posts above, and yet no one commented on it.

Truth is, all common lead-based (ie lead styphnate) primers will NOT degrade & will probably be good long after everyone alive today is long gone. MOST primers used in the sport are lead-styphnate & they will last. But, that is NOT the whole story.

It is also TRUE that there are lead free/non-toxic primers & ammo which DO EXPIRE after about 5 years, though it is NOT some sort of conspiracy. If you take a training course at the Sig Arms Academy in NH, the ONLY ammo allowed there is NON TOXIC ammo. That ammo has a primer which becomes inert after about 5 years; at the 5 year mark, about 5% of the ammo will be inert. Also, are there ANY LEOs here that are forced to train with such ammo? If so, they can confirm that the case-lots are marked: "USE WITHIN 5 YEARS OF MANUFACTURE"

With lead-free/non-toxic ammo, each year, more of it goes inert. It is not an intentional property of the primer, it is a flaw that they have not been able to correct.

Question is: could lead free primers ever be required by law the way that lead-free gas is required or lead-free steel shot is required?

I do not know. Hope not.

For any doubting Thomases out there, here you go - a link to one of the companies making such ammo. Click on the link. Then go to the PDF of the brochure - look at the bottom of that page:

"SHELF LIFE: 3 YEARS"

http://www.simunition.com/cartridges/green...training_en.php

WHERE would this be required? Try taking a class on the INDOOR ranges at SIGARMS ACADEMY

Edited by Carlos

Part of the reason for this myth is a real suggestion made during the Clinton Administration, after the McVie trial. A suggestion was made to expand the requirement for taggants in explosives to include smokeless powder and primers. Speculation ran wild, and some very real concern existed that adding a so-called inert material into the powder and primers might affect shelf life and might require the rewriting of reloading manuals.

:devil: I could be wrong but I thought I learned in HS chemistry that inert means: 1. having no inherent power of action, motion, or resistance (opposed to active ): inert matter.

2. Chemistry. having little or no ability to react, as nitrogen that occurs uncombined in the atmosphere. Its just like the idiots at shell putting an inert gas into their gas so it will run cleaner. Last time I check gas wasn't carbonated. (Aviation uses nitrogen gas to service with because it is Inert) Inert crap doesn't BURN and adding it to powder or primers would cuase them to react extremely slow or not at all. Just a thought! :ph34r: