Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Habanero Peppers

outerlimits

today is the fall rite of passage. 4 pounds of habaneros...time to make the year's supply of hot sauce! Took about 3 hours of prep, but i'm ready for the year. Added a little WW452AA to the mix to kick it up a bit.

My garden did not produce nearly that amount.. I grow the Jalapenos, or at least try to up here. Very, very wet this year.. poor production.

What survived, I made into a "wicked" salsa last week and canned about 4 pints.

Did you grow them yourself?

Looks great.

today is the fall rite of passage. 4 pounds of habaneros...time to make the year's supply of hot sauce! Took about 3 hours of prep, but i'm ready for the year. Added a little WW452AA to the mix to kick it up a bit.

Mmm, MM!

I see we have quite a few chili heads on the board here... Nice.

Dave's insanity is nice, we use it every other Friday at the range during the winter for hotdogs and baked beans.

ummm....

That other stuff.. "The Source" at 7.1 M Scoville Units is hospital time if you aren't careful. :surprise:

Hottest sauce I've used before is Fudpucker's Liquid Lava.

My Jalapeno plants did ok this year, but I don't understand why one plant is very warm, but the one next to it hardly has any heat. The cayanne peppers turned out well this year also. I plan on making some homemade crushed pepper with them.

There is a place I frequent in Dewey Beach, DE that used to be owned by the guy that now owns Peppers in nearby Rehoboth. He took his collection with him when he left, but one part of the place still has rows and rows of hot sauce bottles lining the wall. They also have a "make your own bloody mary" bar on weekends.

If you ever want to visit hot sauce heaven, you must pay Chip Hearn and family a visit in their new establishment.

I like to make Hot Sauce as well Habaneros are hot but I find them to be a bit bitter. Instead I use these:

The manzano is pronounced: mahn zah noh. Manzano chile peppers are relatives of the hot South American rocoto peppers. Manzanos are used most often in fresh form because the pods are so thick they are difficult to dry. They are great for making hot salsas. The manzano is unusual in that it has black seeds & has a Fruity flavor

The manzano rates between 30,000 and 50,000 Scoville units on the heat index.

I combide my wife's island background with my Spanish background to make my hot sauce. Maybe we should share each others way of making our hot sauce!

Edited by TruStreet

I used to grow what became an almost exclusively Salsa garden. Various peppers, tomatoes, and onions. I learned that the amount of water that a pepper plants get is a great determinator to how hot they get. Too wet and they were much milder, too little water and they have very thin walls on the fruit. I also learned to keep the sweet peppers and hot peppers widely separated, otherwise they can cross-pollinate and the Hot peppers get mild, and the sweet peppers get a little spicy.

Funny story: Back in '93 I was NCOIC of the USAMU International Rifle Section, and we had a shooter that said he really loved really hot peppers, and asked if I would grow some Habaneros. So I grew one plant of them. When they came ripe, this shooter was "on the road", so I just put the peppers in some quart jars and covered them with vinegar - just to hold them until he got back. So, he got back, saw them on his desk. He thanked me, and then opened one of the jars, reached into the vinegar, grabbed a pepper and ate it. Said it was really good.

A little while later, we were out on the range, and I saw him head to the bathroom. He came out a couple of minutes later, walked up to me and told me again how much he liked the peppers. About that time, I noticed a pained look start to cross his face, then the yelled "ah, Shit" and ran back to the bathroom.

He had not washed his hands before he had used the urinal. I guess the peppers were hot.......

I did not go in the bathroom, but I was told the sight of him at the sink was pretty funny.

I retired in '95, and our house does not have a suitable place for a garden, so my gardening days ended. Sure was a pleasant hobby.

Mark K

Several years ago, I catered a bbq for my cousin. I smoked venison, ribs, and chicken, and set a half dozen hot sauces out for condiments. In the middle of the sauces, I set a bottle of Pure Cap (pure capsaisin - 500,000 scoville units). The sauce is so hot (hotter than raw habaneros), that it comes in an eyedropper bottle.

Naturally, I told my cousin and his buddies (all guys in their 20s) that the Pure Cap was just for show, and while I used it all the time, I really "didn't recommend they use it, because it was way too hot for them." Do I really have to tell you what happened?

Well, apparently, so many of them were pulling the eye dropper in and out that the outside of the bottle got a coating of capsaisin, which meant their fingers got coated, which meant...that about 20 minutes after we started serving food, a couple of guys came to the kitchen to request crushed ice to take to the groom and best man in the bathroom. :roflol:

Best part of the night was another 20 minutes later, when the boy dating my teenage daughter comes to the kitchen looking scared to death. He asked me to go outside with him and then swore he hadn't done anything with my daughter or anyone else, but that he was a major hunk of burnin love, and did I have any idea what could cause such a thing? :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

Butch, when I saw your naked hand holding that bowl in the picture, all I could think was I wouldn't be in the same room with those without one of those boy-in-the-bubble suits!

I like hot peppers and sauces, but I draw the line at those evil things.

I've made more than my fair share of mistakes when it comes to handling/chopping habaneros then going to the bathroom.

OUCH.

My wife's family is from Trinidad and they use them in EVERYTHING.

Of course, when I tell my wife I want a pepper in the gumbo she's cooking she doesn't cut it into halves or quarters, she dices it then throws it in there. :roflol:

Edited by spankaveli

Butch, when I saw your naked hand holding that bowl in the picture, all I could think was I wouldn't be in the same room with those without one of those boy-in-the-bubble suits!

I like hot peppers and sauces, but I draw the line at those evil things.

i wore gloves-learned my lesson long ago after coring about 5 pounds of scotch bonnet peppers without them. tried everything, ice, milk, solvents...nothing took the burn away from my hands. saw the doc the next day and he suggested 1st degree burns from the oil.

neat trick to try is eating a habanero gently picked, then one that has been messed with, where you manhandle it...way hotter. i remove the seeds and core to cause that effect as well as getting rid of the bitterness of the seeds. blend 'em up into a nice mash, add the sea salt and vinegar, and that's it. made plenty with other ingredients but end up back to the basic recipe. gonna stuff a few 2nite with sausage. remainder to make some jerk marinade with pimento berries and lime juice.

i've tried all the commercial stuff, and i still like home-made. plus, making the label every year is a blast. tried posting one and got run over by flex pretty good. pm me if u wanna see this year's version.

now if i can get my hands on some ghost peppers... :wacko:

That is all well and good, but what is the receipe?

This is a Babados style Hot Sauce: That I some times make.

o 12 Habaneros or Manzanos

o 2 lg Cayenne peppers

o 1 15 oz can sliced Mango, drained

o 1 c Cheap Yellow mustard

o 1/4 c Brown sugar, packed

o 5 tb White vinegar

o 1 tb Curry powder

o 2 ts Cumin

o 1 tb Chili powder

o 1 ts SeaSalt, or to taste

o 1 ts Fresh ground black pepper

o 2 ts crushed garlic

Edited by TruStreet

Now that sounds pretty darned good. The sweetness of the mango would help offset the heat of the peppers nicely. I make some pretty wicked salsas myself, mostly for use with pork, fish or chicken dishes.

Mango salsa with fresh mango

Dsc00062.jpg

Kiwi salsa

Dsc00043.jpg

Roasted corn and tomato salsa

joenik31208d.jpg

Joe W.