Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whos running the Burris 1-4X XTR ?

paraman1

I am an optics guy and would like something that I can use from CQB ranges out to the effective range of my AR's . I have seen the USO , Leupold , Nightforce and other high end offerings but they are a bit beyond my reach financially . Is anyone running one of these ? How is it holding up to abuse ? Is the BDC reticle fairly accurate on man sized targets ? Is the illuminated portion of the reticle visible without illumination (I would hate to be SOL because a battery failed)?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me .

It is a good optic. My brother is running it. He does not have a ton of rounds on it, so I cannot comment on how it holds up. The reticle is visible without illumination. From what I have shot of it, I like it and will be getting one for myself. The reticle is pretty nice for fast acquisition. Reticle is more than accurate enough for man size targets.

Randy

Paraman1,

there are a few great scopes in that price range:

Meopta

Burris XTR14

Trijicon TR24

And be aware that there is a NEWER VERSION of the Burris XTR14. (More will be revealed when you click on the lower links).

I recently went on a search myself, and you can check it out HERE. (Click on the link).

If you want a bit more specifics from a retical point of view, CLICK HERE. (Click on link).

Be patient on the last link for the reticles, as there are TWENTY-FIVE PAGES. Take your time and go through them all. It has a wealth of information and eye-candy.

Personally, I was getting set-up for 3-gunning...and I chose the Meopta Meostar R1.

Enjoy.

In Christ: Raymond

Thanks for the links raymond . I read the first one for as far as I could stand . I will try and dig into the ARFcom one when I have a bit more time on my hands .

I am still looking for more input from guys who are using the scope in question and have beat on it a bit to see how it holds up as well as used the BDC and can attest to how well it works with what ammo and to what distances .

Thanks .

I've been using it all season... about 1500 rounds thru it, I'd guess.

It's holding up great for me and I'm pretty rough on my equipment. I've only shot it out to 400 so I can say, with my ammo, the reticle is damn near right on. I mean, my 300 yard dot is a coulple of inches off, so a torso hit is no problem at all. The 400 yard hash is perfect (for my ammo). I'd like to see the 200 yard dot removed as you really don't even need it.

FYI, I shoot a 55 grain Sierra BlitzKing bullet at 3100 fps out of my 16" barrel.

I bought one used and had to send it back to burris as the lit reticle stopped coming on

It has a lifetime warranty regardless of who the current owner is

I waited a few weeks and got the scope back and the lit reticle is still pretty dim

ALso there is a very tiny screw on the scope body that looks like it is coming loose, it takes a microscopic allen wrench and I do not have one

I probably have 30 rounds through my rifle with the XTR on it

the hold over dots from 1-300 seem to work, I do like the reticle design.

This is a rifle scope for a shooting game for me, so its not the end of the world

I wish I had bought the leupold instead.

If you want mine I will sell it for what I paid for it

I have one on my JP, since I sight all my rifles for 250 with 55 gr. blitzking at 3100 fps, the XTR reticle is not all that useful and a bit too busy, hard to pick out 10" plates at 300 to 400 yds quickly when there is just too much going on with the reticle. Some like the hold over feature of the XTR but my preference is still the simple dot and post of the Meopta.

I got mine in Feb. So far it has been great. The hashmarks are almost dead on for my loads. I had not thought about it, but the 200 yd dot really isn't needed. I may try a Meopta for my next build. The recticle is not as busy.

Mike

AHHHH two of my favorite shooter in the same post!

Bruce, you are pushing those 55s harder than I am, and I use a 20" barrel and SLOW powder, this would explain why your barrel life is measured in seconds!! :roflol: ( J,F,W,Y,) I hope all is well in the N.E.

Hung! Where the hell have you been? Will we see you anytime soon??? I will be through the big D around the 16th lest get some chow! KurtM

Hung! Where the hell have you been? Will we see you anytime soon??? I will be through the big D around the 16th lest get some chow! KurtM

Gathering sticks for the looong winter ahead :roflol: I'll be back in circulation next year since this stimulus money ain't going to last forever.

Paraman,

I received my 1-4 XTR just as they became available and still Love it. Yes the illumination switch on the first go round is crap and the reticle lines are a little thick especially above the 300yd mark and at least the first units do not have day time illumination which for me is not an issue. This is supposed to be corrected on the newer units other than true daytime illumination. So far this scope has survived one Iron Man last year, the FNH match this year, the ITRC this year with carbine shots to 500yds, monthly local matches and at the end of this month it will go to the Adams Arms 3-gun. This winter I will be sending it back to Burris to get refurbished with the new illumination switch and the upgraded reticle. For my style of shooting I like the hold-over references. Prior to this scope I ran a Leupold CQT for 3 gun and it was allot more work remembering how many dot diameters to hold over the target at X distance. For me the reticle is fast. Traditional long range shooters like to dial in their hold over but for most 3-gun matches the distances to me are not long enough to dial. I rather have some good references for my load and go with it. I run 69gr SMK over 25gr of Varget and a CCI BR4 primer (when I can find them these days...)

There are allot classier scopes out there with better everything but for the price for this game I am completely happy with this scope. 500yd shots on 18" targets are not unreasonable with this scope but I wouldn't want to push it much further than that.

OK I'm off the soap box now.

One bit of info that has always helped me no matter if I was shooting irons or optics was to getting to know your loads in your rifle with your sights and that only comes with practice at real distances with real winds.

Best of Luck,

Jeff

This thread: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=87354

Has some more info and pics of the new and old reticles with out without ill.

New model XTR illumination IS daylight visible. Without illumination the reticle is black. I have a first gen XTR and used it without illumination just fine for a couple years though lots of matches and numerous airline hops - has held up fine. I have since bought a new one but haven't really used it.

I do like the new reticle as it's less intrusive. I like the BDC reticle even though I almost never shoot past 300yds. I also like that the center dot is smaller than on the Meopta - feels more precise to me.

In the end, the XTR, Meopta, and Accupoint are all quality scopes - just pick one, learn your holdovers, and practice with it.

I may have one of these in my future. OTOH, if Trijicon can come out with a better reticle in the TR24 I'd spring for one. I have a TR21 with amber triangle and I love it, but it could use a better system for long range holdover.

I have a preference for things that don't need batteries. B)

Edited by jobob

I have exactly 90 rounds on my Burris XTR (old style cross).

Was worried because I was used to a red dot.

The illumination during daylight hours is non-existent so I was stuck with the black "cross".

I was pleasantly surprised, this reticle is fast and accurate. Easy to pick up on close targets and dead on on far targets using the hash marks.

Crystal clear and built like a tank. Point of aim DOES NOT MOVE once set. Even after banging around and a few accidental drops the gun's aim remains perfect (it is in a LaRue SPR-E mount though...).

if Trijicon can come out with a better reticle in the TR24 I'd spring for one. I have a TR21 with amber triangle and I love it, but it could use a better system for long range holdover. B)

The TR24 does have a better system than the TR21. The turrets are much improved and lend themselves very well to dialing in. I have found this to be much better than trying to hold over my targets, or figure which stadis to use on a BDC.

Well, I may just spring for a TR24. Love my TR21, but having the true 1x low end is a plus. Might go with a red triangle this time. Most folks seem to like it over the amber.

I also have a Meopta on one of my guns, but is isn't the Kdot. Mine is the Zplex, which is just nothing more than duplex crosshairs. I'd wanted the Kdot when I ordered it, but no one seemed to have them in stock at the time. Maybe I should have waited till they had them, but frankly I don't feel at much, or any, disadvantage w/o the illuminated reticle.

OTOH, that Burris looks like a winner! Wish I could try them all.

I may warm up to dialing in with the right scope, but right now my preferrence is using some system of holdover. With the TR21 I've been sighting in 4" high at 100 yds. This allows a 6 oclock hold on plates out to 250, and only 2 or 3" low at 300. Takes out a lot of guesswork, though I'd still like some stadia lines below that triangle for the longer shots.

• 1 month later...

Looks like my finances have finally reached the point where I can pick one of these up . I am gonna mount it on my 16 inch recon rifle in a Larue SPR mount . I have 1000's of the 55 grain FMJ bullets so my plan is to try and load something that will track the reticle out to 5 or 600 close enough to keep it on a torso sized target .

Rifle8.jpg

Edited by paraman1

I bought one two weeks before the 2009 USPSA Multi-Gun match and mounted it in a Larue SPR-E on my 20 inch JP-15. I put about 200 rounds of 69 grain Sierra Match Kingsthrough it at 2900-3000 fps. prior to the match. As far as I can tell, it shot dead on at 200, 300 and 400 yards (I hit an MGM flasher plate 7 out of 8 times the first time I used it at 400 yards). I'm going to try for 500 yards in a week or so. I like it.

I have a XTR 1-4 on my regular Open rifle, and a Meopta on my backup gun. I just bought another XTR ;)

UPSGuy delivered a XTR 1.5-6 Friday, and I put it on a .308 AR this morning. I hate the oversized target turrets, but the 1.5-6 seems a good fit on a .308...the illumination is brighter than on either of my XTR 1-4 (go figure).

Alex

• 1 year later...

I bought one two weeks before the 2009 USPSA Multi-Gun match and mounted it in a Larue SPR-E on my 20 inch JP-15. I put about 200 rounds of 69 grain Sierra Match Kingsthrough it at 2900-3000 fps. prior to the match. As far as I can tell, it shot dead on at 200, 300 and 400 yards (I hit an MGM flasher plate 7 out of 8 times the first time I used it at 400 yards). I'm going to try for 500 yards in a week or so. I like it.

What powder and primer are you using? I just got a new 18" barrel moving up from 16" I had excellent accuracy with BLC2 but I know you can getna little more vel. from varget. Anyway, just got the same scope and haven't tried it yet.

I went to the XBR powder and Ramshot Tac at max load, to get the FPS up with the 77SMK to match the BDC with my Burris. JP 18" 1 in 8 twist barrel. Winchester primers.

The Black Hills 77 Gr match the BDC also.

Shooting buddy uses the Varget for his 69SMK out of his 18" JP to match his Burris.

His does not like the 77's, mine does.

Edited by Trail3

I have a XTR 1-4 on my regular Open rifle, and a Meopta on my backup gun. I just bought another XTR ;)

UPSGuy delivered a XTR 1.5-6 Friday, and I put it on a .308 AR this morning. I hate the oversized target turrets, but the 1.5-6 seems a good fit on a .308

Alex, if you send it in to Burris, they can swap those knobs out for smaller ones. I'm not sure what the price is, but there are about 6 or 7 of them out there with the swap so far.