Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripp Research Adjustable Rear Sight...

Seth

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. As a matter of fact I did. The front sight cut is odd and I had a non fiber front made for it custom and it was way tall. I have since cut the front sight down and sucked the rear down accordingly.

The first 2 pictures its up quite a bit further than it needs to be.

• 1 month later...

excuse my ignorance but does mr. tripp's sight fit into a "bo-mar" type cut or does the cut need to be modified to fit his sight?

So I am the president of the Tripp Research fan club and I had to have this sight. I sent my slide to Virgil and just plain begged. Well he got first production pieces recently and I just received the slide.

THIS IS BRILLIANT. Falls into the 'why didn't I think of that category'. Simply, the sight is 3 major pieces. The base, body and blade.

The base attaches to the standard bomar cut. The body moves vertically on a dovetail attached to the base for elevation The sight blade windage is dovetailed into that body. Zero slop, no pins to fail, no springs. This AIN'T a bomar knockoff. Its a reinvention.

The best part is that the blade can be unscrewed off the dovetail and replaced. The base is also contoured to match the slide, so its REALLY low profile. I'll get pictures tonite, but I have a distinct feeling this is going to be the new standard.

excuse my ignorance but does mr. tripp's sight fit into a "bo-mar" type cut or does the cut need to be modified to fit his sight?

So I am the president of the Tripp Research fan club and I had to have this sight. I sent my slide to Virgil and just plain begged. Well he got first production pieces recently and I just received the slide.

THIS IS BRILLIANT. Falls into the 'why didn't I think of that category'. Simply, the sight is 3 major pieces. The base, body and blade.

The base attaches to the standard bomar cut. The body moves vertically on a dovetail attached to the base for elevation The sight blade windage is dovetailed into that body. Zero slop, no pins to fail, no springs. This AIN'T a bomar knockoff. Its a reinvention.

The best part is that the blade can be unscrewed off the dovetail and replaced. The base is also contoured to match the slide, so its REALLY low profile. I'll get pictures tonite, but I have a distinct feeling this is going to be the new standard.

like i said ignorance... :rolleyes: thanks!

if one perhaps had a gun with a bomar-style cut and wanted to use it as a carry gun and wanted as low a sight profile as possible would this thing be a reasonable option?

the stability/durability would seem to make it a candidate for this type of application. i would prefer a novak cut on the slide but it aint there.

can it be lowered far enough to make it work well with a novak-height front sight?

thanks!

Edited by fitmk

i wonder what cost/turnaround time would be if i sent my slide in to have one of those installed. slide would ned new cuts tho :(

that sight looks really good! next dedicated competition gun will probably have one, and possibly the gun I have now as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Mr Tripp is a great guy to deal with. Nice and down to earth. Easygoing but extremely knowledgeable.

I wanted a wider cut for a combat/defensive setup and we are having tooltech put a tritium bar underneath the notch. I wound up getting a wider front sight than I had originally expected and he shipped me a sight with a blank blade on it and told me just to ship the blade back to him when I got my tritium blade in. Furthermore if I wanted it any wider (cut at 0.125) he'd be happy to widen it for me.

I am VERY impressed with how solid this thing is. There is a bit of variability in what to expect from a sprung bomar sight with regards to durability on a carry weapon. I think this sight really opens up some options for people that want to make carry weapons out of bomar-cut guns. I know you CAN carry a traditional sprung bomar sight for years and year with no breakage but its pretty easy to agree that the original design is not as durable as a fixed setup. This may not be as durable as a fixed setup but its much much sturdier than a sprung sight.

Edited by fitmk

• 3 weeks later...

I recieved mine last week, but I can't figure out how to get the back of it off to install it. I'll give Virgil a call this morning.

You shouldn't need to remove the back, You should be able to simply adjust it to it's highest position and slide it in, then tighten and zero.

I recieved mine last week, but I can't figure out how to get the back of it off to install it. I'll give Virgil a call this morning.

You shouldn't need to remove the back, You should be able to simply adjust it to it's highest position and slide it in, then tighten and zero.

I'll give that a try. I wasn't able to reach them on the phone this morning.

That was what I needed. The sight looks great on my 1911.

Does anyone want to buy a slightly used, slightly crooked bowmar knock-off with the pin falling out? It's made by a very reputable company, if that helps.

That was what I needed. The sight looks great on my 1911.

Does anyone want to buy a slightly used, slightly crooked bowmar knock-off with the pin falling out? It's made by a very reputable company, if that helps.

Rats, I guess I'm going to have to buy a couple of these now :bow:

• 2 months later...

Anyone tried Tripp's new K-1 sight? It doesn't have any springs. See attached.

I've had problems with the old bo-mar sight design (various pieces breaking). And I've lost my zero several times after accidentally pushing in the top of the sight (and compressing the spring).

This new sight may solve those problems.

Darren

post-6381-127912175818_thumb.jpg