Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 vs. 124 in 9mm

Sarge

I have shot 124's exclusively all year and ordered a thousand 147's to compare. I loaded some up and took them to a local steel shoot tonight and quite frankly when the beeper goes off I really don't feel that much of a difference. I guess I felt a little difference in the impulse but it was not like, "damn this is a whole lot softer/better/different". And I certainly did not shoot any better with them so I know they are not magic. :roflol:

Am I expecting too much? I think I will stick with my 124's over 4.1 TG and load the 147's as far down as I can for the local steel matches.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I can certainly tell the difference. If you can't then don't worry about it. I shot 124gr for a long time.. then shot a friend's 147 loads and was like "wow". Try the 147 with a lighter spring and see what you think.

EDIT: Of course bullet weight is only one piece of the equation. But with similar PF with TG you should be able to notice a difference. I use 231... 3.8gr with 147s and 4.5gr with 124s. I can tell with these loads for sure.

Edited by lugnut

simple test: load your mag alternating 125/147. I haven't found anyone that can't tell the diff with this test. Done this with SPO1, MP Pro, g17 and all feel softer with 147. And I'm not saying 147's are better - just different.

" simple test: load your mag alternating 125/147. I haven't found anyone that can't tell the diff with this test. Done this with SPO1, MP Pro, g17 and all feel softer with 147. And I'm not saying 147's are better - just different."

I don't doubt that. But in a match, when you are being one with the hole, does it feel that different?

Edited by nashvillebill

Hello: I shot some 147's and some 121's today in our match here. Both have the same power factor of 131. Yes, I could tell the difference. The 121's seemed to get back on target faster for me through the G17. I need to shoot them on the clock to see which one is better for me. Bill drill perhaps? Thanks, Eric

I may have to eat my words on this one. The jury is still out. I shot a match today and though I still think the difference is minor My splits felt faster and the groups appeared to be (generally) tighter. It appeared that when I spread further out in to the "C" zone with my second shot I was shooting the 124's. I guess I need to keep working on this.

" simple test: load your mag alternating 125/147. I haven't found anyone that can't tell the diff with this test. Done this with SPO1, MP Pro, g17 and all feel softer with 147. And I'm not saying 147's are better - just different."

I don't doubt that. But in a match, when you are being one with the hole, does it feel that different?

good point - i shot the match today with 125's, 147's and barrowed 115's. Could i really tell the difference while shooting the match? - no not really but on the other hand, my best point stg was shot with 147's and my worst with 115's. So i'm still going to work with both 125's and 147's - i like the feel of the 147's but the 125's are more accurate out of my MP.

I came here looking for exactly this info... I'm thinking about giving Pd a run after being an L10 shooter. I shoot cast bullets and cast my own so was trying to decide if I should add a 147gr mold to my bench. It looks like I should BUY :o some store bought bullets until I decide.

• 3 weeks later...
I have shot 124's exclusively all year and ordered a thousand 147's to compare. I loaded some up and took them to a local steel shoot tonight and quite frankly when the beeper goes off I really don't feel that much of a difference. I guess I felt a little difference in the impulse but it was not like, "damn this is a whole lot softer/better/different". And I certainly did not shoot any better with them so I know they are not magic. :roflol:

Am I expecting too much? I think I will stick with my 124's over 4.1 TG and load the 147's as far down as I can for the local steel matches.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Was that the first time you shot the 147's? If so, perhaps once you work up some loads to the same pf you might feel a greater difference. Heavier bullets usually have a different "feel" in regards to recoil. Some like the slow push from heavier bullets...others like the faster and snappier recoil from lighter...

I settled on the 124/125 gr. bullet about 5 years ago. I went back and forth for a while before deciding, purely subjective, based on the feel of the gun. I did this with a CZ 75, also works well in my Beretta. Have to see in my new/used 9mm goverment model.

I've been shooting 125's for the past year with success. I had reloaded and shot 147's in the past and also remember feeling as if the gun shot with less recoil. I recently picked up some 147's again to see if it might improve my shooting. My recent trip to the range with the 147's didn't improve my performance as I had hoped. My Glock 34 felt sluggish and I felt as if I was waiting for the gun to return to battery. Just my recent observations on the subject of 125 vs. 147.

• 2 weeks later...

I use to load 147gr Montana Gold FMJ with 4.2 TG and found them to be a good load but I have to say that TG is dirty. I started to load 124gr Montana Gold with 4.7 WSF and love this load. It was more accurate then the 147gr 4.2 TG and much cleaner IMO. I told 2 off my friends about this load as they were also loading 147gr TG and they have also switched and we haven't looked back.

Shooting from 20 yards off bench from my XDm 9 4.5 inch barrel. Mind you I'm not the best shot. Flyer was me

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff244/V...htsights011.flv

Edited by Victor R

I use to load 147gr Montana Gold FMJ with 4.2 TG and found them to be a good load but I have to say that TG is dirty. I started to load 124gr Montana Gold with 4.7 WSF and love this load. It was more accurate then the 147gr 4.2 TG and much cleaner IMO. I told 2 off my friends about this load as they were also loading 147gr TG and they have also switched and we haven't looked back.

Shooting from 20 yards off bench from my XDm 9 4.5 inch barrel. Mind you I'm not the best shot. Flyer was me

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff244/V...htsights011.flv

Could you give us the details of your load?