Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Hurt Locker

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder... might try calling the manager at your local movie house and see if they can get it.

I don't know how the big chains operate, but back in the day...I had a buddy that ran a movie theater and he did the picking.

Not really sure how to review this one. It's super intense for sure. I definitely recommend it!!! Very thought provoking. I'm gonna wait to see what some other folks think before I say much more.

One kinda general comment about movies like this. This is obviously about the war we are fighting on terrorism. Living here in the squalor's of luxury I have no idea if this portrayal is real or hollywood's version. I tend to think that movies like this get pretty close to realism. If what is depicted in this film is really happening those guys are living a hell I can not fathom.

I'd really looked forward to seeing this movie after all the good press it received. My son (an OIF combat veteran) and I caught the first showing yesterday morning. We were terribly disappointed, what a wasted opportunity. The filmmakers had a good cast and a story worth telling and totally buggered it up. F'ning Hollywood.

I was a little dissappointed after I saw it also, I'm sure it was the ending that throws most people off. After thinking about it for a while I think the point they're trying to make is how absolutely unbelieveable life in combat is. For those of us sitting over here our biggest conflicts in daily life might be traffic, gas prices, or what to eat for dinner. The boys in the sand box, well the fighting MOS's anyway, are so used to adrenaline running through their veins that going back to a "normal" life is almost impossible. I hated myself after I got out, took a few years to transition.

Just my .02

I'd really looked forward to seeing this movie after all the good press it received. My son (an OIF combat veteran) and I caught the first showing yesterday morning. We were terribly disappointed, what a wasted opportunity. The filmmakers had a good cast and a story worth telling and totally buggered it up. F'ning Hollywood.

I'd be interested in what disappointed you. I'm not lobbying for or against the movie. Just wondering...

Please remember to use the 'spoiler' feature so as to not ruin for others!

Disappointing. I was hoping it'd be good. Some of the lowlights: the reckless disregard for safety shown by the team leader toward himself and his teammates, EOD guys playing sniper, 3x EOD guys playing sniper for *hours* (where's the backup?), and the whole sneaking off base bit.

I think the opening summed up the end. ...war is a drug. Think of the soldier's actions as that of a drug addict and it put the whole story into perspective. YMMV

And, it's a movie - not a documentary. ;)

My girlfriend and I saw it on Saturday. We both thoroughly enjoyed it. It was shot "documentary" style, which made it more gritty and I think brought the audience closer to the characters.

and, it was not one of those movies that was afraid to kill off several characters in order to move the story forward. Had this been a Steven Spielberg film, everyone would have lived happily ever after.

• 5 months later...

The Hurt Locker, I just rented the DVD, it was a tough one to rent (Blockbuster was allways out of copies every time that I went to rent it) :angry2: . It was worth the wait, I really enjoyed this movie, it was full of nail biting scenes and was quite realistic. I usually have a tough time with military films (being former Army) but this one was spot on. :cheers: Not recommended for little ones!!

Disappointing. I was hoping it'd be good. Some of the lowlights: the reckless disregard for safety shown by the team leader toward himself and his teammates, EOD guys playing sniper, 3x EOD guys playing sniper for *hours* (where's the backup?), and the whole sneaking off base bit.

The EOD guys sniping was disapointing for me. The guy spotting was positioned to the left and a little forward of the shooter on the Barrett. His face was right there at the muzzle break vents. He would of rolled off the little hill squeeling like a baby after the first shot. There has to be some technical guys advising somewhere that would know better. :angry:

and, it was not one of those movies that was afraid to kill off several characters in order to move the story forward. Had this been a Steven Spielberg film, everyone would have lived happily ever after.

I guess you haven't seen too many Steven Spielberg movies, huh? :rolleyes:

I only made it about half way though this POS. :sight: I stopped after the aforementioned sniping scene. The "glad to be alive party" thing in the squad leaders hooch is crap. No booze in a warzone these days, certainly not that much, they had a freaking bar.

It is getting to the point that I can't watch a modern "war" movie because Hollywood is so antiwar they can help but paint the Military in a poor light at best.

I guess I'm just a bit sensitive to this crap, I know too many good people that have deployed (myself included) to let crap like this go unchallenged.

Bring me the Black Hawk Down, Heartbreak Ridge, and Saving Private Ryans. I love a good war movie, but just because a movie has action/intense scenes doesn't make it worth a poop to me. It has to be realistic. If they want to make a sensational thriller, make it blatantly fictional like Avatar.

Edited by North

I look at this movie a little differently. My son is EOD, back from Iraq and spinning up for Afghanistan right now.

The first thing that stood out in this movie for me is that the team leader died at the beginning because his support failed to act. I was glad they portrayed the reaction of the tech when he pulled the spiderweb of bombs out of the dirt the way they did. He simply went to work making them safe. That is what these men do. When he pulled off the suit so he could work in the car.....that really happens. I don't think I could sleep in the helmet, it is hot, heavy, and the fan makes a lot of noise.

Yes, hollywood took a lot of license with the story, but they may not be as far off as we would like to think.

Backdraft is not a real depiction of life as a firefighter either, but it is a cool movie.

Bill

The EOD guys sniping was disapointing for me. The guy spotting was positioned to the left and a little forward of the shooter on the Barrett. His face was right there at the muzzle break vents. He would of rolled off the little hill squeeling like a baby after the first shot. There has to be some technical guys advising somewhere that would know better. :angry:

I caught on to the sniper scene also, made the remark to my wife that "whoa,... that first shot is gonna be a mo-fo for the spotter.."

The EOD guys doing non-standard things (sniping, room clearing, ect) was explained in an interview with the director.

They wanted to show a very wide scope of experiences soldiers are having over there, and rather than have to follow the stories of 10 different people, they chose to make these three characters a conglomeration of different types of soldiers. So when Sanborn is behind the sniper rifle, his experiences are supposed to mimic what a typical scout/sniper might have to go through when having that "up close and personal" view of shooting his enemy.

I have to agree that the Team Leader in this movie was a total Bozo and I'd be surprised if anyone with any time and experience under their belt would have let him hang themselves out like that. That one character spoiled the movie for me.