Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi-Point for USPSA Production?

Soap

Hello, new member here, with a serious question.

A couple of buddies of mine and I are experienced shooters, yet we've never competed before.

What started out as a joke has evolved into something of a mission... we're thinking about starting out with Hi Point .40 semis (yes, those hideous-yet-strangely-Dr. Who-looking Hi Points).

If we did this, what division would we compete in? Production?

Thanks in advance,

Soap

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a serious note...

The Hi-Point would be a bad choice for several reasons.

The magwell is very straight on most I have messed with. It is hard to get the mag in and out of the gun quickly.

The guns are blow-back in operation and have a lot of recoil.

The triggers are heavy and cannot be tuned easily.

Most that I fired were not accurate.

The 9mm that I fired felt like I was shooting a J-frame as well as not being accurate.

I'm not a gun snob... but if you can afford to buy/load ammo you can afford a better gun than that. ;)

To answer your question... The gun would be used in limited.

JT

Edited by JThompson

:cheers: Cheers on the wanting to get into USPSA. Hi-point is a bad choice for any division. I don't think you will find anyone that will agree with shooting it in comp. They are decent for home defence and mayby for a beater truck gun. A friend of mine let me shoot his at the range years ago and it was like holding a brick. It is after all your choice and your gun, I think you will not be happy shooting USPSA with it. Pick up a good used glock 17 or 22 and you will be happy with the outcome. :sight: Just my opinion.

Hello, new member here, with a serious question.

A couple of buddies of mine and I are experienced shooters, yet we've never competed before.

What started out as a joke has evolved into something of a mission... we're thinking about starting out with Hi Point .40 semis (yes, those hideous-yet-strangely-Dr. Who-looking Hi Points).

If we did this, what division would we compete in? Production?

Thanks in advance,

Soap

how many rounds have you fired at 1 time,how many down the pipe,and how many mags do you own...the question how many rnds at 1 time,the hi points i've seen fire usually go for 5 or 6 then jam..not being mean but thats what i've seen..on the mags, i think you can get those as an extend mag also..may work as a limited division gun..good luck !!

http://www.hipointpro.com/category/161-Hi-..._Magazines.aspx ..you may contact these guys for a sponsorship of some type

Edited by GmanCdp

Soap-

I think it would be funny but only for those of us watching!

Don't forget to keep that thing pointed down range while you're working on it... :roflol:

Now get that big X5 out there and burn up some paper!

Good luck!

All, thanks for the replies. :)

I do have a couple of guns that are modestly "nicer" than a Hi-Point, but a buddy of mine from the Marines and I were thinking about running them, really out of good humor.

The first part of the adventure would have been to buy four of these and send them off to a gunsmith for a trigger job and have the internals and mags done in NP3... that alone would have been very challenging, but not impossible.

The mission however might be impossible in L10; place top 3, wearing our own homemade "TEEM HI-POINT" shirts, send those pics in to Beemiller, and request a team sponsorship. :roflol:

Admittedly we've never owned Hi Points, or ever actually have seen one in person for that matter, so your feedback on how they work is super valuable, thank you (I had no idea they were SAO and had to go into L10).

L10 probably kills the deal... but, you never know.

Thanks again everyone!

Soap

The Hi-Point is a single action gun, thus illegal for Production division.

Now I'm confused... Then how was the XD approved for Production? According to what I have read, the XD series of pistols are classified as single action, not double action or “safe action.” When the slide cycles, the striker is fully cocked; not partially cocked like in the case of the Glock.

The first part of the adventure would have been to buy four of these and send them off to a gunsmith for a trigger job and have the internals and mags done in NP3

:surprise: Seems like a tremendous waste of resources ($/time) that could go towards something more likely to get you in the "top 3" such as, oh, ammo and practice using guns you have already? :ph34r:

Perhaps you have enough time and $ to justify such a "joke." In that case, I'm envious as I lack both....

just my 2 cents....

-rvb

Edited by rvb

The Hi-Point is a single action gun, thus illegal for Production division.

Now I'm confused... Then how was the XD approved for Production? According to what I have read, the XD series of pistols are classified as single action, not double action or “safe action.” When the slide cycles, the striker is fully cocked; not partially cocked like in the case of the Glock.

This is a controversy from about 6 years ago... Here's a couple threads:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...ost&p=29589

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...ost&p=85598

later,

Chuck

I have toyed periodically with the idea of doing an article on Hi-Point auto pistols, the thrust of the piece being that if, for some reason, you want or can only afford a very inexpensive handgun, these guns can fill that bill well. I have never fired a .40 Hi-Point. On the other hand, I have fired a 9mm. It worked. Also, recently I went to the range with a guy whose carry gun was a .45 Hi-Point. (Yes, I know.) This guy estimated he had about 1,000 rounds through the gun up til then, and it had never malfed on him. I believe him. Especially since I got to watch him, on the range that night, run about 300 rounds of Black Hills ball through his gun, also without malfunctions.

On the other hand, when he switched to hollowpoints he literally couldn't fire a single mag without three or four failues to feed. He had, up til then, run strictly ball through the gun, and that had been his carry load, as well. Which meant, natch, he had to load up his gun with the hollowpoints I'd brought to the range, and leave with the gun loaded that way, "for self-defense." Oy. Personally I would have stuck with the hardball.

I was curious what sort of accuracy we could expect from one of these things, so I benched it with the Black Hills ball. Answer, at least from my hands: about 2" at 50 feet, the maximum distance possible on this particular indoor range. Not great, but for $160 or so, certainly decent. That screw adjustable rear sight wasn't exactly a highly refined Bo-Mar, but it struck me as a serviceable, straightforward system that got the job done. I was able to adjust the sight for elevation without a problem. For windage, apparently, adjustment requires a special tool, supplied with the gun, that the owner had not brought to the range with him. So I had to leave the gun hitting about 2" right at 50 feet. If the adjustment tool had been available, there's no doubt in my mind I could have easily brought this gun to POI/POA in short order.

At seven yards, running double taps, I found I could put two rounds into the A-zone with splits of about .28 second. Not nearly as fast as I can run a Glock or 1911, but still, like the accuracy, I was surprised at how good it was. Trigger pulls were, again for the price, surprisingly good, a bit heavy but smooth. The grip angle sucked, of course. My first shot of the DT would be centered, the followup way low, but still inside the A-box. Though I didn't care for the grip angle, which caused the gun to point very low for me, the shape of the grip itself was shockingly comfortable.

Overall, I was a lot more impressed with this gun than I thought I would be. For the price, and loaded with hardball, I have to say there are lot of guns out there you could be armed with that are less reliable, accurate, and easy to shoot than this one.

Of course, I know that if I ever wrote an article saying that I would lose all credibility with people who just "know" Hi-Points are utter pieces of crap. :roflol:

If you can win with a Hi-Point setup... :bow:

I thought about doing the same but with a cheap Sigma just to see, after all its not the arrow, right?

yup..wasn't the Sigma priced around $199 or $250 awhile back??? plus a coupon for free mags??..

back in the early 90's..i worked for a holster company,and there was several times during the year, at the Bill Goodman gun show in Dayton Oh,the guy from Hipoint had to make an "inventory" run back to the plant to restock for Sunday..sold out several times for the holsters that fit them..nicknamed "the brick"

Without bashing a gun that I have little experience with, I will say this: Look at what guns are used by the good shooters in USPSA/IPSC/IDPA use when making a judgment. When one can purchase a Glock 22 for $369 and a Glock 17 for $379 (HERE FOR EXAMPLE) there seems like little excuse to run with a cheaper platform.

With all respect,

I dont like the idea of competing in a sport using known inferior equipment, just as a joke. Why not run a few courses of fire with a fake limp? Or shoot some classifiers without your eyeglasses?

Its not unlike undue endzone celebrations in football, its not part of the sport, and goes against the three principles; DVC.