Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi-Point for USPSA Production?

Soap

I've toyed with the idea of running a 9mm Hi-Point as a second gun in our local Steel Challenge matches, just to see what the difference in score would be. Same shooter, same ammo, same course of fire and round count, the only difference being the guns. The only reason I haven't is because I've got better things to spend $150 on than a Hi-Point pistol and a set of magazines.

Regarding the reputation that Hi-Points have for being reliable, I don't really find it terribly remarkable. They're straight-blowback guns chambered in calibers that generate pressure levels that by any rational measure are excessive for a blowback design. Of course they're going to be reliable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own a hi-point carbine. It is the only firearm that has NEVER failed once. To make it even better I run junk ammo through it and my reloads that fail inspection. It has a trigger that's like breaking a green tree branch, but for $100 and running 100%. I give them a big thumbs up.

well...if nothing else try this....

SIG SAUER - Gives you $200 "CASH For your KLUNKER* Handgun"

Purchase a new SIG SAUER® P220®, P226®, P229®, 1911, SIG556 pistol, or SIG556 rifle from your dealer's inventory from September 7th through November 30th, 2009, and SIG SAUER will give you $200.00 for your old KLUNKER* pistol or revolver.

To receive your $200.00 payment, simply send your old KLUNKER* with a copy of your form 4473 and proof of purchase of your new Classic pistol (no later than Friday, December 4, 2009) to:

SIG SAUER, Inc., 18 Industrial Drive, Exeter, NH 03833, ATTN: CK-1

*KLUNKER refers to a handgun from any manufacturer that you wish to trade in for the $200.00 payment. Gun must be operational and free from cracks in frame or other key components. KLUNKER must be a semi-auto pistol 9mm or larger, or revolver of .38 caliber or larger. SIG SAUER reserves the right to reject any firearm submitted as a KLUNKER that does not meet our criteria. Rejected firearms will be returned to sender. Please allow six (6) to eight (8) weeks for delivery of your check. This offer cannot be combined with any other program or offer.

Klunkers will not be accepted for payment after Friday, December 4, 2009. NO EXCEPTIONS.

All transactions subject to federal, state and local firearms regulations.

Click HERE for more information.

Now wait a minute. Aren't we supposed to be trying to get new shooters? Haven't we been trying to dispell the myth that you have to invest most of your kids education money to get into our sport? I thought we were supposed to have a "run what you brung" attitude! Seriously, if someone shows up with a High Point, show them how to be safe and walk them through a COF with their pump action pistol. Then offer to let them shoot yours and let them see the difference. THEN they'll happily send their kids to community college!!!

You are going to spend practically as much on magazines, holster, mag holders as you would on the gun. In a year you will more then likely want to shoot a better gun and wonder why you wasted the money outfitting a Hi Point. If you have what you need to compete already by all means bring it out. You will have fun I am sure.

and wonder why you wasted the money outfitting a Hi Point.

"Because it's there." :D

The first part of the adventure would have been to buy four of these and send them off to a gunsmith for a trigger job and have the internals and mags done in NP3... that alone would have been very challenging, but not impossible.

They don't even own the things yet.

• 1 month later...

A buddy of mine and I have joked about this.

We keep running into a bunch of goons at IDPA matches, and they are always telling us about their new trigger job, new sights, new reload/spring combo's, sewing weights into their vests...etc. They constantly keep trying to tell us how we should shoot, despite the fact that we consistently shoot better than them, with street gear.

I run a stock G19 and typically finish in the top 5 shooters (local matches), getting most accurate more often than not. My buddy shoots a little faster, but uses a G34.

We had chatted about how funny it would be to win with a Hi-Point over guys running gamed out rigs in IDPA.

If we do it, I'll make sure to post pics and match results. :D

Edited by synergy

• 4 weeks later...
We keep running into a bunch of goons at IDPA matches, and they are always telling us about their new trigger job, new sights, new reload/spring combo's, sewing weights into their vests...etc. They constantly keep trying to tell us how we should shoot, despite the fact that we consistently shoot better than them, with street gear.

lol

You know what would be fun? A Mythbusters match.

Look, we all know there is a significant divide between the absolute top shooters and everyone else; you may have a GM card and you may win a stage at a major match occasionally, but you never had a chance to take down Max, or Dave, or Robbie, or Jerry. Face it.

But there are those of us that have occasional moments of brilliance, and that would be a great basis to have an equipment test for the sport. Get one of the also-rans (me, needless to say) with their preferred gear, then get one of the big boys with a Hi-Point and no practice. The big boy gets to reshoot if the gun malfunctions, that's only fair, but otherwise has to fight through the grip, trigger, sights, etc.

I'm saying that it still won't be enough for someone to beat the best. The rest of the folks are usually around 7-12% behind the front pack, I'm guessing it would move about 4%.

H.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say go for it, if you already own one. I shot one with a bunch of other folks at Reno a while back and it ran just fine. Like Duane I hated the grip and it felt terrible in my hand but it ran. Don't know what ammo they had for it, but it worked just fine. Wouldn't hesitate to throw one in the truck, they also have a carbine.

You know what would be fun? A Mythbusters match.

Look, we all know there is a significant divide between the absolute top shooters and everyone else; you may have a GM card and you may win a stage at a major match occasionally, but you never had a chance to take down Max, or Dave, or Robbie, or Jerry. Face it.

But there are those of us that have occasional moments of brilliance, and that would be a great basis to have an equipment test for the sport. Get one of the also-rans (me, needless to say) with their preferred gear, then get one of the big boys with a Hi-Point and no practice. The big boy gets to reshoot if the gun malfunctions, that's only fair, but otherwise has to fight through the grip, trigger, sights, etc.

I'm saying that it still won't be enough for someone to beat the best. The rest of the folks are usually around 7-12% behind the front pack, I'm guessing it would move about 4%.

H.

I would even chip in a few bucks to buy the gawdawfull-looking thing.