Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I dislike this stage...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Is this because too many new shooters were sticking to the sport?" -- Gene Temple, Quote of the Day

That sounds about right.

+1, just because you can doesn't mean you should. It won't hurt the good shooters, but it can really ruin a fun day for a lot of folks.

"Is this because too many new shooters were sticking to the sport?" -- Gene Temple, Quote of the Day

That sounds about right.

+1, just because you can doesn't mean you should. It won't hurt the good shooters, but it can really ruin a fun day for a lot of folks.

Maybe I have the wrong attitude but if someone shoots this stage poorly and it ruins their day instead of making you want to become a better shooter, as well as giving you something to contemplate/work on like visual patience, trigger control, etc., maybe a different/easier sport/hobby is in order.

Just figured it would spark some debate!

JeffWard

Your plan is working. :roflol::cheers:

I've shot this twice so far. First time, I cleaned up on it and I think I was at least in the top 3 finishers of that stage. The second time, I didn't do nearly as well and probably around the top third. I actually learned more from the second time, which is what I posted above. Sure it hurt my overall finish but I actually took a couple things away with me that will help my shooting in the long run.

Hopefully someone will post some video of the Polish Plate Rack at the Area 1 match. 8 plates, 4 up 4 down, weight on each end of the arm and a small sliding weight on the back on the arm for initial balance. Knocking plates off causes the small weight to start moving and enough plates off on 1 end causes the large weight to fall off sending it the other way where the other weight falls off which adds to the spin rate. Watched an Open shooter do it with 8 shots and almost no movement to an Open shooters that had an initial miss shoot 15 times. Took 11 with a revo.

Hopefully someone will post some video of the Polish Plate Rack at the Area 1 match. 8 plates, 4 up 4 down, weight on each end of the arm and a small sliding weight on the back on the arm for initial balance. Knocking plates off causes the small weight to start moving and enough plates off on 1 end causes the large weight to fall off sending it the other way where the other weight falls off which adds to the spin rate. Watched an Open shooter do it with 8 shots and almost no movement to an Open shooters that had an initial miss shoot 15 times. Took 11 with a revo.

Similar to this?

That sounds about right.

Maybe I have the wrong attitude but if someone shoots this stage poorly and it ruins their day instead of making you want to become a better shooter, as well as giving you something to contemplate/work on like visual patience, trigger control, etc., maybe a different/easier sport/hobby is in order.

Any time I've made a stage where a large percentage of shooters get a number of points, I look at it as a failure on my part, not theirs. Making overly hard challenges is very easy. How many folks would go bowling if all the frames were 7-10 splits? The reason anyone can go bowling and have some success is that in every frame, there is a large chance for some success. As a competitor I like challenging shots, because that gives me a place to gain on other shooters, but I do have compassion of shooters who don't have as much experience when the challenge is overly difficult and there are not enough other points in the stage to still get a score.

Any time I've made a stage where a large percentage of shooters get a number of points, I look at it as a failure on my part, not theirs. Making overly hard challenges is very easy. How many folks would go bowling if all the frames were 7-10 splits? The reason anyone can go bowling and have some success is that in every frame, there is a large chance for some success. As a competitor I like challenging shots, because that gives me a place to gain on other shooters, but I do have compassion of shooters who don't have as much experience when the challenge is overly difficult and there are not enough other points in the stage to still get a score.

At the same time, that bowler, as a result of luck or newly burgeoning skill may be just pick up that 7-10. Or the golfer faced with the 230 yard forced carry, who has never made it over, catches one on the screws with the $ 0.25, 'experienced' ball that he uses just for that hole and makes it over. That golfer will probably not remember all of the balls he/she put in the hazard but I'll wager he'll remember how good that water damaged Top Flite XL felt.

Regardless, Bill can only put that 7-10 split on one of the six stages and he doesn't pull it out for every match. As long as there is a good smattering of various difficulty levels in the other stages, there's something for everyone, IMO.

Edited by al503

Both the Evil Star and the Polish Plate rack look like a hoot to me. I would love to have a stage with both! It is a fine line between challenging the high level shooters and keeping the lower level folks from getting discouraged. I agree that throwing in a "you gotta be kidding me" stage is fun from time to time- even for the "D" level shooters.

Don't know that I'd enjoy seeing either of those contraptions on a stage but I'd love to have one of each for practice. I think I'm gonna have to bust out the welder. The "evil" plate rack looks great for working on transitions and accuracy. Looks like shooting outside to inside is the way to go.

I am all for new challenges and shooting conditions that test the skills of the shooter. But props like those are more luck based verses skills based. Its more like a carnival attraction you would pay $5 to shoot for a prize instead of a practical shooting skills test. Would I set one of those things up in practice and have fun with them? Sure. But it is beyond me how someone could think that those type of props are a valid “Practical” shooting test to be incorporated into a stage for a match. Texas Stars are “Carnival” enough. Do we really have to take it beyond that?

Its been said before, but put a new shooter in front of that thing and all you will get is a frustrated shooter that may or may not come back to the next match. Sure the decent shooters will be able to clean it up without too much difficulty, but really what is the point of it being in a match stage?

Why not throw some 30 – 50 yard shots into a stage verses something like these contraptions? At least it makes sense to be able to shoot accurately at 30 – 50 yards. Maybe I will feel differently about these contraptions when aliens descend upon us and have 5 heads that swirl around in a circle?

I am all for new challenges and shooting conditions that test the skills of the shooter. But props like those are more luck based verses skills based.

I think the only aspect that has the luck component is whether you have paper or a no shoot behind the plates when you shoot them. If you line up your sights/dot, pull the trigger straight back and call it, you don't have to worry about it. Go too fast, and you might hit something you don't want to, which is a cardinal component of this game. Regardless, I'm sure if you look at the results of the stage, you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference, if any, compared to a regular, bread and butter stage.

Do we really have to take it beyond that?

I like this kind of creativity. Tomato. Tomato.