Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

There's No Such Thing As Old Brass!

DyNo!

Looks like good brass to me!

DSC00289.jpg

My local range is covered with this stuff and more than a few shooters told me that brass like this had thinned out and was too weak to shoot. Fortunately, that isn't necessarily the case! Most of it is just ugly! Back in the days before tumblers, reloaders reloaded dark brass. This stuff will shoot fine but to make your brass prettier, I discovered this method on the web.

Using Lemi-Shine, a dish detergent that can be found in most supermarkets - shooters can greatly improve the appearance of their brass.

DSC00298.jpg

Here are 10 random casings from the picture above:

DSC00313.jpg

To achieve these results or better:

Add 5 tablespoons of lemi-shine to each gallon of water it takes to cover your brass by 1"

Shake vigorously

Let stand for 8 hours or more

Drain and dry brass

Tumble brass

(Repeat as desired)

The treated solution of water is good for several more batches. (However this water is at the end of it's lifespan :roflol: )

Edited by DyNo!

DSC00299.jpg

If I wanted to, I could get the dark brass in the first picture to appear as if it were new by repeating the process. If done to "normal" brass, the results of lemi-shine are spectacular!

DSC00293.jpg

DSC00272-1.jpg

Try it and let me know how it works out for you! :D

My guess the cleaning solution yo have pictured is dirtier because of the dirt in the cases than from the brass tarnish??? If so cleaning the dirt prior to the lemon shine would allow that solution to last considerably longer.??

My guess the cleaning solution yo have pictured is dirtier because of the dirt in the cases than from the brass tarnish??? If so cleaning the dirt prior to the lemon shine would allow that solution to last considerably longer.??

Yes

The solution was pretty much "used up" so I decided to skip that step and dump dirty brass into it. It was discarded immediately after that picture was taken.

As a result, it really doesn't seem to have much of an effect on the solution however, all of the dirt will find its way into your media and foul it more quickly.

I won't be doing that again and I strongly recommend that you wash the dirt off of your brass, use lemishine, and tumble.

Has anyone noticed that the Dillon tumblers are watertight? Same solution for about 30 minutes in the tumbler gives me the same results.

Carefull there.....

Unless Dillon says you can do it, you risk electrocution.

BB

I don't think there is any chance of electrocution as there is no direct path to ground through your body. IF the bowl leaks and the liquid dribbles down to the motor underneath there will be a spectacular result :surprise: that will cause the owner to buy a new motor or tumbler. :angry2:

CYa,

Pat

When it come to conducting fluids (water) and alternating current, there exist very specific requirements............swimming pool pumps, washing machines, electric power washers etc.

I'd be very interested in seeing what Dillon says about filling their tumblers with liquid and then turning them on.......in fact I would speculate that Dillon specifically says NOT.

Just dont want someone to get hurt out there, which is why I write this.

At least use a GFI if one insists on going this route.

BB

Edited by BlackBuzzard

When it come to conducting fluids (water) and alternating current, there exist very specific requirements............swimming pool pumps, washing machines, electric power washers etc.

I'd be very interested in seeing what Dillon says about filling their tumblers with liquid and then turning them on.......in fact I would speculate that Dillon specifically says NOT.

Just dont want someone to get hurt out there, which is why I write this.

At least use a GFI if one insists on going this route.

BB

I don't still have the directions from my Dillon tumbler, but I remember it saying NOT to use liquid in the machine. Dry media only.

Hmmm... A pail of cleaning solution full of brass and something to vibrate it... Naw... ain't gonna go there...

Just put all your favorite blue jeans in the washer and start a normal load. Put the brass in cleaning solution in a pail with a lid on top of the washer and there ya go. Vibrating pail of cleaning solution. Might make a heckuva racket though.

Dillon tumblers are NOT water tight. The label on the lid specifically states " Warning: do not use liquid in this tumbler. See instruction manual."

Damn! I'd better quit doing that, After 15 years it's liable to start leaking any minute.

If someone has large amounts of brass to clean, what about using an old beater washing machine? Plenty of them out there for cheap.

Now the brass might bust up the impeller, chip enamel off, or get wedged between impeller and bottom of tank( so use a beater machine)............but I'd go that route just to see what happens.

Probably the mixing action would be poor with most of the brass staying on the bottom.......but worth a try.

Anyone done this?

BB