Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nationals Ammo

Big Guy

Any word on where can we pre-ship the ammo for the Nationals?

As I understand, the hotels will charge for receiving packages and USPSA was in the process of identifying a specific location.

We have made arrangements with a local gun shop to receive ammo. I don't know the details, but they should be posted on the Nationals page soon.

Troy

Do they have any clue how much ammo that will be???

We have made arrangements with a local gun shop to receive ammo. I don't know the details, but they should be posted on the Nationals page soon.

Troy

Do they have any clue how much ammo that will be???

Yeah, I think they do. Not all of it will be shipped there, of course, but they know to expect a bunch.

Troy

Here's the poop from the nationals webpage:

Shipping Ammo for Nationals

Because The Orleans charges by weight to receive packages for guests(and they are none too excited about receiving and storing ammunition) we have arranged to have American Shooters receive ammunition from competitors. They will store it and make sure it gets to the range. They will also be offering a complimentary day pass to each shooter for use of their indoor range for sighting in.

Send your ammunition to yourself at:

American Shooters

Attn: Ray Witham/nationals competitor ammo

3440 S. Arville Street

Las Vegas, NV 89102

Be sure to thank Ray at the match, as he has been instrumental in making sure this part of the Nationals runs smoothly. American Shooters has been very generous with their offer of the use of their range for sighting in and accepting ammunition. Again, we do not recommend shipping ammo to yourself via your hotel (even if it isn't The Orleans) as they tend to charge by weight for receiving packages and often have restrictions on receiving explosive or flammable items.

Here's the poop from the nationals webpage:

Shipping Ammo for Nationals

Because The Orleans charges by weight to receive packages for guests(and they are none too excited about receiving and storing ammunition) we have arranged to have American Shooters receive ammunition from competitors. They will store it and make sure it gets to the range. They will also be offering a complimentary day pass to each shooter for use of their indoor range for sighting in.

Send your ammunition to yourself at:

American Shooters

Attn: Ray Witham/nationals competitor ammo

3440 S. Arville Street

Las Vegas, NV 89102

Be sure to thank Ray at the match, as he has been instrumental in making sure this part of the Nationals runs smoothly. American Shooters has been very generous with their offer of the use of their range for sighting in and accepting ammunition. Again, we do not recommend shipping ammo to yourself via your hotel (even if it isn't The Orleans) as they tend to charge by weight for receiving packages and often have restrictions on receiving explosive or flammable items.

Ray and the American shooters guys are good people. I shoot with them regularly. Although I think Ray did just run out of ammo, so maybe this is his way to get some more?? (just kidding - you're in good hands with Ray!)

brad

Thanks, Rob, I printed out the labels.

Guess it doesn't matter how it's packed,

as long as it's solid?

When would be best time to ship it out

to Ray - don't want it to get there too

early (And Not Too Late:(( )

Is there an e-mail address to confirm

with Ray that he's rec'd the ammo okay?

Thanks,

Jack

Great info - that saves a lot of carrying.

What is Best Way to ship ammo to Ray?

UPS? FedEx? Mail? Any preferred way

to package it?

Thanks,

Jack

Shipping ammo by the USPS is a Federal Offense.

Edited by mikegot38

Ship UPS ground, using these markings: www.uspsa.org/orm-d

You must drop this off at a UPS depot or arrange for a UPS pickup (which you can do from www.ups.org). UPS Stores and other shipping intermediaries will not accept ammo.

Of course, plenty of UPS Store clerks don't know their own rules and will happily accept such shipments. And as a corollary, many clerks at actual UPS and FedEx depots don't know their rules either, and will refuse such shipments.

I bet you can figure out how I know this.

Thanks so much Rob for the labels and special thanks to Ray Witham.

Fair warning to those shipping ammo back after the nationals, better make sure you know in advance the locations of the UPS shipping centes and more importantly their hours.

I spent a couple of hours on a hotel computer a couple of years ago in Bozeman Montana setting up a UPS account so I could ship from the hotel when I found out that the UPS receiving location didnt take packages til 3 hrs after my flight time.

Robert

L2723

If you have your myUPS account previously set up you can pay the cost and print the label(s) to mail stuff home before you ever leave. Just guess a bit heavy on the weight and they'll not whine at you.

Is there an e-mail address to confirm with Ray that he's rec'd the ammo okay?

There will probably be a couple of hundred packages arriving at the shop. I think it would be an abuse of hospitality for each of these 200+ people to email the shop and expect them to look for your package. It's much more effective to use the UPS tracking number online and, if you are concerned about the package being "left at the door", just send it "adult signature required".

This is terrific, I absolutely will ship my ammo to American. Thanks Ray!

On a "side" note. As a newbie to the Nationals.......does the range have a pit set up where competitors can shoot (warm up) before they start their stages each day?

Today I shipped my ammo from TX to VA for the Area 8 Championship. The hard part was finding a UPS hub. Don't waste your time trying to call them, I tired that and listened to the machine ramble on about everything. I tried the locate as well on their web site. I went to a UPS store and they directed me to what they called a hub. Which as it turns out was listed as a Customer Service Center on their web site, so that may also mean hub or depot.

I just told them I had an O-RMD shipment of ammo, I had two boxes the lady said I have a bigger box that will make it cheaper and she repackaged the ammo in the bigger box taped it up and put the labels on. She supplied the O-RMD label.

I sent 600 rounds of 9 mm and 400 rounds of 40. There are two of us shooting the box weighed in at 35 lbs and with $500 insurance it cost $42.00 to ship ground. The match isn't till the end of August, but it will be there in 5 days.

I am going to ship my ammo to to the nationals, and I will probably go with 750 rounds since there are 18 stages and the max is 32 per stage and an allowance for extra shots and a re-shoot or two.

Yes this will be my first Nationals rodeo, should be a wild ride.

Edited by CocoBolo

What's the average round count for the Nationals? Thanks.

Is 1K rounds more than enough?

Look at the expected round count and double it. I've had 700 rouds per division at nationals in the past ahd I've always had ammo to take home. 1K is more than enough.