Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Dilema

BigH

I have the CZ 75 SP-01. I purchased it back in March and love the feel of this gun. It is a pleasure to shoot and never ever jams. Easy to break down and clean and was the perfect choice for my first gun in a caliber larger than .22.

I spend a good deal of time at the indoor and outdoor range practicing for steel and IPSC. I have not shot IPSC yet but plan to enter my first match in July. Here are my issues:

I have reached a point where I am unable to progress with the CZ unless I have custom work done. The rear site is killing me as I am right handed and left eye dominant. I need a new site system which looks like it will cost +$200. This is the price listed on Angus Hobdell's site.

The gun also needs trigger work as there is way too much travel and the stock trigger just does not feel right on my finger (seems to irritate my skin after 50 or so shots.

The gun is on the heavier side

I am trying to decide if I do the work and hopefully have and awesome gun for steel

OR

Trade it in for another gun, maybe a Glock 34. I am not a fan of Glocks BBBBUUUTTT I tried a friends .40 and shot a really solid group. Not sure why but think the angle of the gun and the very flat surface of the slide seem to work well for me. I also tried the XD in 9 and loved the trigger.

I could always just buy another gun but would hate to burn permit to have 2 .9mm's

Try shooting a glock a couple of times maybe? Ive always been told best money spent was on paractice ammo and training.

Maybe take some pistol class? The instroctor will probably notice things that you are doing wrong that you wouldnt notice?

I am at the range no less than 3 times a week and sometimes 5. I also have a Ruger MK 111 in which I adjusted the site to compensate for this issue and shoot very well with it. I am pretty certain that this situation can be resolved with a competition style site that I can adjust.

I'm struggling to understand how a new sight will help. Do the current sights not have the correct relationship to the barrel and POI? I wouldn't have thought which eye you were focusing with would make any difference.

Is there something more subtle about cross-eye dominance that I don't get?

IPSC aka USPSA. Fiber optic sites help your speed in this game, but do not increase accuracy. A thin blade front sight will get a more accurate site picture. I made these changes on my CZ75 Tactical Sport, went to fiber for speed and to an adjustable Bomar type site to get the bullet to hit where the sites were pointed.

Trigger, the Angus trigger job with the competion hammer is awesomely good. I duplicated it almost on the Wife's CZ75B by putting a 15lb hammer spring in and the Angus Competion hammer, which requires a smith or skill to shorten the safety bar.

The trigger can be significantly lightened by just changing the hammer aka main spring to a 15lb. This spring will set off Winchester White box and all but possibly wolf primers, costs $5 and takes 10 minutes if you know how. While your at it if your mags are not dropping free just straighten out the mag break or put a replacment straight one in $10 from Angus.

The very best way to progress is to DRY FIRE and PRACTICE. Being left eye dominant fails to be a handicap when you learn to keep both eyes open and bring the gun up in front of the left eye instead of the right eye that don't work anyway. I have fought this battle and it took months to get it right but it works. Ask Brian Enos he is cross eye dominant.

On steel stick with your 9 mm there is no power factor and it will run under powered loads, the bullets cost less. Bonging the gong at 40 yards is not as easy as it looks, doing it fast is even the square of harder.

You could probably sell your CZ for enough to buy a Glock, then it would not fit your hand and you would have to learn the trigger and in a few month and 5,000 rounds of ammo you would be right back to the spot your at.

Spend the money with Angus if you got it if not spend more time dry firing. Get out to a USPSA match and have some of the best fun there is. We all started at the bottom but we all started.

I have the CZ 75 SP-01. I purchased it back in March and love the feel of this gun. It is a pleasure to shoot and never ever jams. Easy to break down and clean and was the perfect choice for my first gun in a caliber larger than .22.

I spend a good deal of time at the indoor and outdoor range practicing for steel and IPSC. I have not shot IPSC yet but plan to enter my first match in July. Here are my issues:

I have reached a point where I am unable to progress with the CZ unless I have custom work done. The rear site is killing me as I am right handed and left eye dominant. I need a new site system which looks like it will cost +$200. This is the price listed on Angus Hobdell's site.

The gun also needs trigger work as there is way too much travel and the stock trigger just does not feel right on my finger (seems to irritate my skin after 50 or so shots.

The gun is on the heavier side

I am trying to decide if I do the work and hopefully have and awesome gun for steel

OR

Trade it in for another gun, maybe a Glock 34. I am not a fan of Glocks BBBBUUUTTT I tried a friends .40 and shot a really solid group. Not sure why but think the angle of the gun and the very flat surface of the slide seem to work well for me. I also tried the XD in 9 and loved the trigger.

I could always just buy another gun but would hate to burn permit to have 2 .9mm's

Welcome to the forum! A tricked out SP-01 is quite different from an out of the box stock gun. Give us a hint at where you are located and maybe someone with a slick SP-01 would let you try it. The heavy part is what makes it feel so good. A 132 PF 124 grain load shoots like an open gun without all the noise!

Later,

Chuck

I also don't see how changing the sights will help, or why the would run you $200. I think the front and rear on my 75 were about $75 for both, plus a couple of bucks for spare front sight roll pins. They are pretty easy to change yourself if you the least bit handy with a hammer and punch.

The trigger jobs from Angus or Mathew Mink are great, I felt both and I think I like the Mink one better, but TBH I never had mine done, I just replaced the mainspring and polished some parts myself and I don't think it ever slowed me down. I think a heavy trigger is a bonus early on as it teaches you good trigger control.

The gun weight is one of those things I go back and forth on, and I'm currently on "lighter=better". A heavier gun will track better and control recoil and muzzle movement, a lighter gun is easier to transition from target to target.

In my opinion, keep the CZ and shoot it until you KNOW it is holding you back. You will get far more improvement from working on grip, stance, trigger control, sight alignment and follow through then from just buying a new gun. Use the savings to buy more ammo :)

Why do you want to change? If it is a case of 'another-gun-itis' and you have the means to stimulate the economy...go for it, but keep in mind that any gun you pick will have some cost associated with it to get it just right.

I am cross eye dominant and prefer to shoot with my strong hand. There are several threads on this topic in this forum that will give you some pointers for overcoming this minor challenge...

Go read up in the CZ subforum for how to make that SP01 run. It's an excellent platform for USPSA Production Division.

If you want a cheap solution to see if it will give you the slight bump in performance, replace your main spring and recoil spring to a 15# and 11# springs, respectively. (You can go with even lighter 13# mainspring if you reload with soft primers)

I think CZ does an overkill and ships these guns to take the hardest of primers and sub gun rounds. You should not need such stiff springs with most std vel 9mm rounds available in the US.

Like everyone has said, I would keep the CZ. You could do the upgrades one part at a time if you if you can't swing doing it all at once.

The main thing is to put in a lot of practice, and more dry firing will help smooth out the trigger.

If you really like your CZ, then I suggest you keep it. All guns will more than likely need a little tweaking to get the personal feel on the users behalf, just right. I would say, shoot a few matches and see if you progress during this time. If the gun is holding you back, try another person's pistol. If that doesn't help, have some smith do a little work on your pistol to get what you want out of it.

Do you reload your own ammo? Just saying, if your trigger is giving you trouble, it is likely that the higher PF is rubbing it raw. Maybe if you lower the amount of powder by .2 grains, you could end up solving this problem.

I am not an expert but this seems like a smart way to come about practicing without investing in another gun unless it is necessary.

Preston

Be 100% sure that its the arrows not the indian :) is the major opinion so far. BTW I would drop the money on the trigger job any way.

I hear nothing but good things about his trigger jobs on CZ forums.

I have a CZ-75B that has a triigger job, new sights, and a few other things done at Angus's shop by gunsmith Eric Zinn. I also have a G-34 with most of the common mod's trigger, 13lb recoil spring, tungsten guide rod...etc. The CZ would be my first choice between the two...keep the CZ and have the custom work done.

Thanks for all the feedback.

My other gun is a ruger MK 111. The rear site is adjustable and I was able to fine tune the site where I am dead accurate at 25 yards. Granted shooting a .22 is like a bb gun compared to a 9mm. I was under the impression that if changed the fixed rear site to an adjustable one I could compensate for this issue.

I have decided to keep the CZ no matter what. It really is a great gun. Back to the range to practice!!!!

I do have a bad case of 'new gunitis' (sounds like an STD). I have been going crazy testing out .40 S&W's. Love the XD Tactical & H&K Tactical-Big Price Diff. Glock is nice also.

Thanks

If you are shooting production I can see the extra weight as an advantage. Most of my guns are moderately heavy, some are downright porky. This reduces percieved / felt recoil.

All other things can be fixed easily enough. But do it one bit at a time, this enable you to get reasonable and accurate feedback from the change.

I started the game with a Sig226, shot it well, felt it was holding me back and changed to Glock after the 2nd season. I did improve, but I also shot a lot more.

Now I pick up the SIG, and wonder what it was I did not like about the weight as now I don't notice it. Get the trigger time in whatever your platform.

For sights, I always use Dawson Precision Fiber Optic. However, on the CZ, you can go with a front fiber optic and a rear white outline. I can't speak for others, but for me, sights play a big role in accuracy and speed. Simple logic tells us that the better your sight picture, the better your aim can be. And the quicker you acquire your sight picture, the faster you can shoot.

As for the trigger ... it is THE KEY COMPONENT of a CZ being used in competition!

MATTHEW MINK is the CZ Guru! He can do a CZ trigger job that is unreal. His email address is: mmink1@swbell.net

Email Matt and tell him what you want ... or get his advice. He will gladly price his work and various options.

Good Luck,

David

Take it from somebody who migrated to cross eye dominant years ago, Nothing you put on the gun is going to make any difference, bit of tape on your shooting glass fixes it fine.

Boats

I went down to the range last night to try different things and am still shooting the CZ low and to the left. ZI tried using my right eye but it is way too uncomfortable not to mention not as clear. There was a guy next to me practicing who is a competition steel and USPSA shooter who siad my stance and grip seem fine. He did mention that I appear to be dipping the front in anticipation of my shot.

He let me shoot his Glock 35. The sight was standard but I am certain he had a trigger job. The ammo was definatly reloaded very soft. I shot about 30 rounds and every bullit was in the black of the traget. The last clip was very tight and fairly respectable.

I then went back to my CZ and sure enough I am still off. I have never been a fan of the polymers but am starting to think that the legnth of the barrel and the light trigger pull of the Glock 35 seem to work for me. Now I am totally confused as I was about to order another gun but am seriously thinking about the glock. I am going to post a new thread on this.

Once again I would like to thank everyone for their input

• 5 weeks later...