Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 or XD 9mm tatical

I am thinking of getting my wife either a glock 17 or XD 9mm tatical. I've hear people say bad about glock and xd and people speak highly of both. I havent got to shoot the XD so i cant really compare it. Any one got any input on either or have shoot both and can give a comparrison?

*Moved to the appropriate part of the forums*

The best advice that I can give is to find someone that will allow you and your wife to borrow both guns and shoot them at the range (or go to a range where you can rent both guns). See which one jives the best and make a personally informed decision.

Neither is better or worse than the other.

To a lot of people, they are going to seem about the same.

To some people, there will be noticeable differences, but not enough to really matter.

To a few people, there will be enough difference to matter.

Glock is probably more popular in competition because it got there first and there are a ton of aftermarket products for it. Doesn't make it a better gun.

Like the man said, find people with those guns and see if you can shoot them.

Got my wife an XD9. First time out with it she sprained the ligiments/muscles between her index and middle finger on her right/support hand due to tension of recoil spring. Tried a lighter one and she still can't rack it comfortably. Don't know about the Glock but caution all about this problem, for her!

Both are great. You need to shoot them. Just get to a range that rents pistols and put a few hundred rounds through them. Try CZ's and MP's too.

Jim

I am thinking of getting my wife either a glock 17 or XD 9mm tatical. I've hear people say bad about glock and xd and people speak highly of both. I havent got to shoot the XD so i cant really compare it. Any one got any input on either or have shoot both and can give a comparrison?

If you get an XD send it to Scott Springer at springer precision

I shoot an XD in production because my hands fit the XD better (I have big hands)

with a very high grip the slide on a glock comes back and bites my hand ALL THE TIME

a glock is in my opinion a more reliable gun as far as parts durability goes. The XD can be made more durable with scott springers upgraded parts

I have been extremely happy with springfields customer service fixing my XD when it breaks

it is also easier to take a glock apart and replace busted parts

Im pretty deep into XDs so I will stick with them and with the right tuning I think they are great

I think glocks are an easier answer all around

I have no experiance with Glock's but I have 3 XD's and love them. My oldest daughter has shot my 40SC and she has small hands and she thought it was easy enough to handle with factory load's. I have both the 9&40 Tactical's, the 40 is Springerized and as soon as I recover from the week old 9 I plan on sending it to Springer.

Try both guns out. The Glock 17 grip is a bit more slab-like then the XDM's which have replaceable grippanels. IK have sholt he Glock 17 but prefer the grip of either the S&W M&P or S&W 99. As I remembeer the Springfield XDM has a grip configuration similar to the S&W line. You can also look at the CZ line - they also have better ergonomics that the Glock in my opinion.

They are both reliable guns.The chice will depend on the ergonomicsi n the hands of the shooter. The Glock grip is more slab-like whilethe Springfield XDM has a more contoured grip.

• 3 weeks later...

I have both a G17 and XD 9mm. Both have pros and cons.

I like the simplicity of the GLock for disassembly, repairs, and cleaning.

I like the cheap parts.

Mine has a couple of minor mods but is pretty much stock.

Low bore axis is good for less felt muzzle flip.

The hump on the backstrap, flat grip sides, and weird feeling trigger

are things I just can't seem to get comfortable with. I have shot some

with the grip reduction and good trigger and they are much better.

Glock 9mm are not forgiving if you limp wrist it. Something to consider

depending on the shooter.

My GLock has never been 100% reliable. It will have light striker hits or FTE issues

occassionally. I have also had parts break- slide stop lever, trigger spring,

ejecter.

I like the grip and trigger feel of the XD better.

My XD is completely stock other than a Dawson FO front sight.

My XD has never malfunctioned. So I have never had to send it

for repairs or try to do it myself. May be a nightmare- I don't know.

The higher bore axis relates to more felt muzzle flip with the XD. If I

lock down a bit more with my grip, this seems to help.

It is more accurate than the Glock (at least between my two samples) and

isn't as finicky as to what it shoots well. The Glock definately likes lighter bullets

while the XD really doesn't care what it shoots.

I will not hesitate to carry the XD for protection. I really don't know why I keep the

Glock other than I hate to get rid of guns once I have them..........

As a few others mentioned, take a look at an M&P or CZ. I am partial to SIGS but

these other two are easier for most to shoot.

Craig

Consider the XD M for her. It comes with three different grip panels. I use the large backstrap. The small reduces the grip quite a bit.

I have owned both Glocks and XDs and have kept the XD.

With the 19 +1 capacity of the XD M in 9mm, should she want to shoot limited minor, you can add Arrendondo base pads and get to 24+1.

Dave

Edited by Airedale

When my wife was starting USPSA, she tried several polymer type guns and she could index the sight easier on the XD than the Glock. Then she shot the XD 9mm service and tactical and the 4" service and she prefered the shorter barrel. I just assumed she would get the 5" gun, but she felt it was too muzzle heavy.

• 1 month later...

I much prefer the Glock due to the lower bore axis which reduced muzzle flip and split times. I also prefer the shorter reset on the Glock trigger.

Pat

FWIW- I own both and rarely shoot either as I love 1911's. But I will say that when I first picked up and shot the XD(M) my first thought was WOW Glock is about to get it's first real competition....

I have large hands and am use to the 1911 frame and point of aim which may affect the outcome to someone with smaller hands. Did not change grips and left them the way they were...

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Croatian 2000 back in 2000 got it from Dave's in Winfield Kansas. It was ok, I like the Glock better it set lower in the hand more like a 1911 and better trigger reset. The Croatian 2000(XD) seem like a Glock lower with a Sig or HK slide slapped on it. Just my my opinion, your mileage may very.:cheers:

I've got 4 XD's and 6 Glock's and they are just different tools used to preform a different task. Use the tool that best fits the task you are trying to preform. Feel will also determine if the tool is right for the task. When trying to pound in a nail everything looks like a hammer or can be used as one.

• 3 weeks later...
I've got 4 XD's and 6 Glock's and they are just different tools used to preform a different task. Use the tool that best fits the task you are trying to preform. Feel will also determine if the tool is right for the task. When trying to pound in a nail everything looks like a hammer or can be used as one.

I find that I am much faster with my XD Tactical than my Glocks.

Qute frankly, you can do a lot more to customize the XD, IMO.

I prefer Powder River Precision for XD fire control parts and trigger work.

But, you can't shoot the XD in SSP. That's where M&Ps and Glocks come in.

Edited by gunnbugg

Hello: I have shot the XD,XDM(fixed triggers on them as well) and many Glocks. One thing to consider is that the Glock has a lighter slide. That does not sound like a big deal until you see a smaller person shoot it. They can control the pistol better because of that and the low bore axis. My 10 year old does better with the Glock 17 than he did with the others including 1911's in 9mm. Thanks, Eric

• 1 month later...

It is definitely a matter of preference. For me the XD has a more natural point of aim. With the newer Glocks your hand either fits the finger grooves or doesn't. I am definitely in the second class and that makes it very tough to shoot quickly and accurately if your fingers are always fighting for position. I love my XD!

• 9 months later...