Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old guy doesn't want to get embarrassed

oldbird

Newbie and looked at the faqs and search. Looking for specific advice on getting started.

I have:

Colt H bar comp with 20 inch barrell and flash suppresor 1:9 twist stock.

Colt 38 super with Heinie done match grade barrell checkering extended magwell mag release etc. No compensator.

Colt 45 series 70 with the same type of upgrades.

Currently no usable shotgun but due to my profession I can purchase a FN slp mark 1 at a discount.

I will just be shooting local matches.

Will this setup get laughed at??!!

Any mods that are absolutely necessary?

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I have a Colt HBAR that I've shot a decent amount of 3gun with. Mine is accurate enough to shoot our matches out to 435 yards. I'd suggest putting a comp on it, putting on a free float handguard, putting on a scope, and perhaps shortening the barrel to 18" and taking some weight off of it.

Trust me there are plenty of things to laugh at at a 3 gun match and a newbie and his equipment aren't even on the list. Everyone I have ever shot with has been more than helpful to anyone willing to give the sport a shot.

My first ever 3 gun match was Ft. Benning. I showed up with my 14.5" m4 upper that I slapped a 1-3 weaver on, a $150 pump shotgun I bought at Dick's, and my Kimber. I had no clue where my shots were going beyon 300 yards, but I didn't care. I was having too much fun.

Trust me there are plenty of things to laugh at at a 3 gun match and a newbie and his equipment aren't even on the list.

The most important things are..

1. Your equipment runs 100%
  2. You know where your rfile shoots

No one will blink an eye if you have those 2 things..

You will find a whole hell of a lot more of people laughing with you rather than at you....

IMO there are very few mean spirited people in 3 Gun Shooting Sports... I have certainly found that to be the case and I'll bet you do too.....

Go..Shoot...Grin a lot....

:cheers: Shoot what you have and see what works for you. Good glass and a comp would be good on the Hbar. The most important thing about three gun is that you equipment runs well and you know where zero is. Go out and have a good time, if you are not having fun in three gun, you either entirely to serious or you are with the wrong people. Talk to the people that you shoot with, take it for what it is. Most folks are more than happy to help out.

This forum is a great place to get sound advise. :sight:

I started with a Varmint upper no comp and an Aimpoint. I ran out of time in my first match before I hit all the targets.

The RO asked if I was OK :mellow: cuzz i couldn't catch my breath to get up.

<_< Now if you strap 12 30 mags to your chest i may snicker just a bit.

No one has laughed at me yet. I shoot my R6600 Colt, Frankenstein Colt series 70 in .45acp, and Benelli S90 M1.

I do have a comp on the otherwise stock rifle and shoot iron sights. I am a recreational 3 gunner, I go to matches to have fun, see old friends, meet new people, have fun shooting some of my favorite guns, etc.

3gun is a very friendly sport. :cheers:

Hurley

Shot my first 3 gun at age 53 or so, with a SKS D model, Norinco 45, and a

Remington 1100 that wanted to be a manually operated repeater. Had

a BLAST--didn't finish last either. Just shoot what you have---any changes

or upgrades you think you need will become apparent after a couple of

matches.

I got laughed at ONCE! :D

The tacticool guys didn't like seeing superman on an AR. Oh well beating them was fun.

All joking aside, shoot what you've got. I shot with a guy who had a VZ58. Cool gun but not really competitive. I've seen a FS2000, an AUG, a Garand (the guy lost cause with a pair that size running is hard). The common factor with all these gun was the people were having fun. I even saw a guy at a decent sized match with a Winchester '97.

There is only one time it is truly OK to laugh. If you ever see a blue 1100 go down and you hear "disassemble and show clear"

I got laughed at ONCE! :D

The tacticool guys didn't like seeing superman on an AR. Oh well beating them was fun.

All joking aside, shoot what you've got. I shot with a guy who had a VZ58. Cool gun but not really competitive. I've seen a FS2000, an AUG, a Garand (the guy lost cause with a pair that size running is hard). The common factor with all these gun was the people were having fun. I even saw a guy at a decent sized match with a Winchester '97.

There is only one time it is truly OK to laugh. If you ever see a blue 1100 go down and you hear "disassemble and show clear"

THAT kind of laughing is permitted...even when repeated :P

Jim

Shoot what you have. (Just try to make sure all of your weapons work before the match).

Be enthusiastic about helping to tape targets and re-set steel.

Be ready to take some good natured ribbing.

Shoot at your own pace.

Shake hands with the RO's after the stage is over and thank them for what they do.

Have a good time.

:cheers:

Don't forget enough magazines and shotgun shell holders. Check out the threads on the different shell holders and "weak hand" shotgun loading. You can spend an incredible amount of time loading your shotgun if the shells are not real handy, which of course reduces how much fun you are having.

Good luck. :cheers:

Bill

Shoot what you have. (Just try to make sure all of your weapons work before the match).

Be enthusiastic about helping to tape targets and re-set steel.

Be ready to take some good natured ribbing.

Shoot at your own pace.

Shake hands with the RO's after the stage is over and thank them for what they do.

Have a good time.

:cheers:

Good advise no matter how long you have been shooting.... :cheers:

• 5 weeks later...

Know the zero of each weapon, especially the rifle. If you know you'll hit what your aiming at it helps you focus on the stage. Shoot each stage in a smooth, controlled manner. Don't try to beat the clock 'cause it'll beat you. Have fun, that's why your doing this.

+1 on sighting in.

Running what you've got is a good idea to begin with. Most shooters will be glad to let you look over their equipment and share their reasons for their choices. Listen to everyone and make a well informed choice for your own gear.

Knowing your gear is more important than getting expensive gear. Do gear up and do a dry run to make sure you won't get tangled up in your own stuff. You don't want to bump your handgun out of your holster. :surprise:

Stay hydrated. Keep your bolt oiled. Have a good time!

John

Newbie and looked at the faqs and search. Looking for specific advice on getting started.

I have:

Colt H bar comp with 20 inch barrell and flash suppresor 1:9 twist stock.

Colt 38 super with Heinie done match grade barrell checkering extended magwell mag release etc. No compensator.

Colt 45 series 70 with the same type of upgrades.

Currently no usable shotgun but due to my profession I can purchase a FN slp mark 1 at a discount.

I will just be shooting local matches.

Will this setup get laughed at??!!

Any mods that are absolutely necessary?

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Where are you located?

If in central Texas. we have a good group and will hook you up. send me an e-mail at james.richard.morris@us.army.mil

in any case,, let me send you something.

Jim M ammo