• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Use:

Clays

WST

Titegroup

Avoid:

Universal Clays.

I shoot 200gr MolyCoated RN in 45. I like WST at 4.7 gr for major. I also have tried N320 at 4.8 gr and only got 140 pf. I just bought some Clays and hope that it works well. I will agree that of these powders N320 is the cleanest. N320 does work very well in 40 for Limited with 185gr Moly LFN bullets at 4.4 gr for major replacing my prior favorite WST load at 4.8 gr. TiteGroup is just the dirtest powder I have shot but again works well in 40 with 200gr Jacketed bullets at 4.3 for major. With cast bullets and TiteGroup the targets are not visible for the smoke.

• 3 weeks later...

VV 310 would be my first choice, Clays second, Bullseye third. 310 is a touch softer and cleaner than Clays, but double the cost and hard to get. Clays is easy to find in 8 pound jugs, and works great with jacketed bullets. For lead I prefer Bullseye or Unique. TiteGroup is really harsh and hot, still haven't found anything I like TG for....

I have tried so many, that Im sure I have forgotten some, however my

current favorite is WST, but have had good results with AA-2, and Solo 1000.

All worked perfectly and with good accuracy (under 2in groups) @ 4.5g and a 230g lrn.

• 9 months later...

I'm running Titegroup. With black 230gr poly coated bullets it does not smoke like regular hard cast, is cleaner, and has reasonable recoil. Also works well in 9, .40, .38, and .44 cowboy. This keeps the bench simple and safe with just one pistol powder. It is also relatively inexpensive.

I've only used Accurate No.2. My Dillon throws stupid-consistent charges with it due to its physical form. I've got a jug of Bullseye to try next (and possibly will get a few others after reading this thread).

I've not been advised anything specific to avoid.

I have tried Winchester's Auto Comp with some Rainier 230 gr RN at 6.0 , 6.4 and 6.6 gr in my Nighthawk Enforcer. All ran very well, but looking at the primers would lead me think 6.4 and especially 6.6 are pushing the pressures a bit. I likely should have started at 5.4 , 5.7 and 6.0. Going to run some small batches up, and chron the whole range.

Im running 200gr Precision Moly coated SWC over 4.9 gr of Titegroup right now. cant see any smoke when shooting (altho the vids show there is some). makes PF easily and it pleasant to shoot.

Avoid:

Universal Clays.

What was the issue with Universal? I've only loaded a pound of it but didn't notice any problems in the heavier loads and it seemed to be low smoke. I'm not getting anything to produce the consistency I'd like in velocities, but Universal didn't seem any worse than Clays in that regard. Just curious--Universal isn't on my short list of powders or anything.

Avoid:

Universal Clays.

What was the issue with Universal? I've only loaded a pound of it but didn't notice any problems in the heavier loads and it seemed to be low smoke. I'm not getting anything to produce the consistency I'd like in velocities, but Universal didn't seem any worse than Clays in that regard. Just curious--Universal isn't on my short list of powders or anything.

Compared to faster powders, really harsh recoil at the low end...and incomplete combustion if you go too low. Hodgdon and Speer data differs by a few tenths of a grain for minimum with 230gr FMJ. At Hodgdon's low end, there's unburned powder and really low velocity (though the recoil is quite mild).

If you don't mind recoil, I suspect you could do some perfectly fine (and clean) loads with Universal in the 800 or so fps range.

Edited by njl

Avoid:

Universal Clays.

Compared to faster powders, really harsh recoil at the low end...and incomplete combustion if you go too low. Hodgdon and Speer data differs by a few tenths of a grain for minimum with 230gr FMJ. At Hodgdon's low end, there's unburned powder and really low velocity (though the recoil is quite mild).

If you don't mind recoil, I suspect you could do some perfectly fine (and clean) loads with Universal in the 800 or so fps range.

Yep, I agree with BB... I found it really dirty and inconsistent at anything below 180-185 PF (depending on the bullet weight and composition). At 170-175 PF, there are a bunch of powders that seem to do a much better job of balancing manageable recoil, cleanliness, consistency and accuracy.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just getting back into reloading after a few years off. I have used several powders for 45 including 231, HP38, 700X, Bullseye, Super Field, and Winchester Action Pistol. I always went back to HP38 though. Mostly loading 230 LRN. I guess now HP38 and WW231 are the same, still have some of each, but they are really hard to find now. WAP was very good for 45, but I guess it is no longer made. I still have about a pound of it. I also have some WST that I want to try. Also have been told that Solo 1000 or N320 are very good for 45. I'm going to give them both a try.

bluestringer

I have been using 231 for a long, long, time but ran out so now I am shooting WST. I think that you will like it. I haven't ran into the temperature sensitivity issue yet but haven't had it in over 100 degree weather yet either. It runs great in the gun and saves me about a grain/load too.

• 4 weeks later...

I have used 6.0 grains of Unique under a 230 LRN, which feels quite similar to the (admittedly few) factory 230 FMJ loads I have shot. But, I have never loaded jacketed bullets for the .45 auto.

An endorsement from Stephen A. Camp was the reason for me originally choosing Unique. My rounds consistently performing as expected is the reason for my continuing to use it.

If I could somehow make my loads stinkier/smokier/dirtier I would, just to keep up the stereotype so there is more Unique on the shelves for me! :P