Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45acp powder recommendations?

cforcht

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just stick with Bullseye since it's cheap, always available, meters fine in the Dillon and i've just never had any problems with it.

People say it's dirtier than most, but the guns get cleaned anyway.

Al

• 1 month later...

Clays 3.9 gr 230 gr RN

Green Dot 4.5 gr 230 gr RN

WST 4.0 gr 230 gr RN

Deputy1199, I'm new to reloading and was wondering what kind of velocities are you getting from the 3.9gr Clays with 230gr RN?

I fired 10 test rounds this weekend that were the same load and my velocities averaged 460fps. The gun cycled fine and I had no FTE, but the rounds sure weren't going very fast. Recoil was nice and light though :)

Clays 3.9 gr 230 gr RN

WST 4.0 gr 230 gr RN

Deputy1199, I'm new to reloading and was wondering what kind of velocities are you getting from the 3.9gr Clays with 230gr RN?

I fired 10 test rounds this weekend that were the same load and my velocities averaged 460fps. The gun cycled fine and I had no FTE, but the rounds sure weren't going very fast. Recoil was nice and light though :)

Did the container just Clays on the label or universal clays?

You should have gotten around 700 fps give or take, Universal Clays would have been much slower.

With 4.1 Clays out of a 4" 625 I get 770 fps at 100 degrees and get about 725 with 4.0 at 55 degrees, can't remember what I get out of my 1911's.

Make sure you don't have sun light shining directly into your chrono sensors and you are a least 10' away to keep from reading muzzle blast.

Greg

Clays 3.9 gr 230 gr RN

WST 4.0 gr 230 gr RN

Did the container just Clays on the label or universal clays?

You should have gotten around 700 fps give or take, Universal Clays would have been much slower.

With 4.1 Clays out of a 4" 625 I get 770 fps at 100 degrees and get about 725 with 4.0 at 55 degrees, can't remember what I get out of my 1911's.

Make sure you don't have sun light shining directly into your chrono sensors and you are a least 10' away to keep from reading muzzle blast.

Greg

Thanks for the recommendations!

Yes, it is Clays, not Universal Clays. I was 15 feet (measured) from the Chrono, and the temp was about 105-106 (gotta love the Texas heat). The sunlight directly into the sensors may have been an issue, I did have the sunshades installed, but I honestly can't say that light wasn't going directly into the sensors.

Clays 3.9 gr 230 gr RN

WST 4.0 gr 230 gr RN

That's just not possible. I'm guessing your chrono readings were bogus. The FPS is way low for 3.9gr Clays, and I really doubt a 460fps 230gr load would cycle any .45acp pistol. 4gr Clays with a 230gr jacketed bullet should just make major PF. Lead should go even faster.

When you setup your chronograph, do you fire a few rounds of .22lr over it first to test your setup?

Like GSWEAR said, if you'd substituted Universal Clays for Clays, you'd get really low velocity at that charge, but I can't imagine 3.9gr Universal would cycle your gun, and it probably wouldn't have burned all the powder due to the pressure being so low.

Clays 3.9 gr 230 gr RN

WST 4.0 gr 230 gr RN

That's just not possible. I'm guessing your chrono readings were bogus. The FPS is way low for 3.9gr Clays, and I really doubt a 460fps 230gr load would cycle any .45acp pistol. 4gr Clays with a 230gr jacketed bullet should just make major PF. Lead should go even faster.

When you setup your chronograph, do you fire a few rounds of .22lr over it first to test your setup?

Like GSWEAR said, if you'd substituted Universal Clays for Clays, you'd get really low velocity at that charge, but I can't imagine 3.9gr Universal would cycle your gun, and it probably wouldn't have burned all the powder due to the pressure being so low.

I didn't fire anything but my reloads across the chronograph, so unfortunately, I don't have any other data to go on. I'll try again in a few days and make sure I get some other data. It may be the chrono. Heck, it could have been me doing something wrong.

It's always a good idea to bring along a .22 pistol to fire some cheap test shots over the chronograph to make sure your setup is working before wasting any of the rounds you need chronographed on a setup that may not give useful data. If you're not getting readings somewhere very roughly around 1000fps (probably a bit higher) from a .22lr, you know something's wrong with your setup or your chronograph.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been out of the reloading loop for over a decade now, and I find this forum to be very helpful and refreshing. That being said, it was here that I became aware of Powder Valley for powder and primers. I was leaning towards Clays powder as so many here seemed to like it, but I thought why not call the guy who sells powder for a living and see what he has to say. So I did, I told him I plan to load .45acp 230g FMJ, and these were his recommendations in this exact order: 1. Tightgroup, 2. HP38, 3. Clays universal. I placed an order for all three, and will let you know my thoughts once I try them.

Edited by jerzeydevil77