Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45acp powder recommendations?

cforcht

I've done some reloading in rifle calibers and dabbled in 9mm long ago. whats a good powder to use for 45acp. and are there any to avoid? I have everything but powder. so I am looking for some advice from those more in the know than I. I do plan to get into some competition shooting this year at our local range. I am using std 230gr JRN slugs.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hodgdon Clays is a good one to use. Soft and clean. N320 is another good one.

Thomas

Clays seems to be a very popular choice. I use it for a 230 gr. FMJ through my Kimber with a 14# spring and it is outstanding for "soft and clean". However, it will depend how you well you control recoil. Some like a snappy recoil, others like a softer and slower recoil. There is boundless info in the 45 ACP reloading area.

Welcome and good luck.

John

I have loaded with Clays and Titegroup in my 45 mixed the 2 loads up in a mag and shot them could not tell the difference while firing. So I settled on Titegroup because that is what I load in my 40.

:cheers:

BK

I'm running Clays at the moment but have VVN320 for when the clays runs out. I've found the clays to be dirtier than I would like, so I can't imagine what the really dirty powders are like. I'm shooting FMJ with open lead base so that's probably contributing to the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I used 231 as a single powder for a few cartridges, including 45acp. However, I am not sure it is ideal for any of them. I now use Clays to push 230gr 45 bullets at major velocities, because it gives a relatively soft push. However, if I wanted more oomph than major pf, then Clays is NOT a good choice for me, since just about 0.2gr more powder flattened primers, which I take as a pressure problem. So, bad for pin loads, or even defensive loads.

Downside to Clays....my 550B has to be very clean and perfectly lubed for it to meter well.

Lee

Many powders work very well in the .45acp, and I have used quite a few. Pick a powder that will work in more than one aplication. I am currently useing Clays because it what I use for shotgun also. Its cleaner than any other powder I have tried, but that doesn't really mater to me, I clean my guns after shooting anyways.

I'd avoid "antique" (er - meant to say "unique") at all costs. Burns too slow, dirty as hell, smokes, temp sensitive and it stinks.

Designed before 1900, Unique might technically "work" - but like a Model T Ford that still "works," there have been superior developments over the past 100 years which accomplish the task better.

I prefer Solo 1000, Clays, and if you cant find either, then as a last resort, W231/Hodgdon HP38 or bullseye.

I'd avoid "antique" (er - meant to say "unique") at all costs. Burns too slow, dirty as hell, smokes, temp sensitive and it stinks.

Designed before 1900, Unique might technically "work" - but like a Model T Ford that still "works," there have been superior developments over the past 100 years which accomplish the task better.

I prefer Solo 1000, Clays, and if you cant find either, then as a last resort, W231/Hodgdon HP38 or bullseye.

Unique was reformulated a few years back. It's not like most of the "new" powders anyway. I still use tons of it without issue.