Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ear Muffs

jkatz44

I listened to everyone here and bought the Peltors. But in all honesty I think they suck. I've had them about a year, but only used them for a month or two. The batteries went dead pretty fast. The Batteries are a PITA to change, and if you forget to turn them off expect it not to work your next time at the range. The ear seal things don't fit snug anymore, and If I have to RO an Open gun or shoot my limited gun through a barrel my ears still hurt pretty bad, but I'm more sensitive that that then most. I went back to walmart ear plugs for a long time, but recently bought the MSA Sordins. They cost a lot more, but they work a lot better. The Peltors may in fact be the best for the money, but in hind sight I wish I followed the buy once, cry once philosophy.

We have both the Peltors and the Pro Ears.

I feel the Pro Ears are the superior product.

The downside is that the Pro Ears use a (somewhat) uncommon battery while the Peltors use standard AAAs.

-Chet

Best seller, and best for the money, Peltor Tactical 6s @ shootersconnection.com for $59

Better protection than the 6s, and better battery access, Peltor 7s @ $110

Better that the 7s, less expensive at the moment, and digital, Peltor Tactical Sport @ $99

Better than the Tactical Sport, is the Tactical Pro, but at a higher price.

I was glad when my Peltor Tac6s died, it made me replace them I do not think they really offer an adequate level of protection. I had resorted to plugs under the muffs but then what was the point of the electronics? They didn't amplify loud enough to overcome the plugs. If you can't afford something with a better NRR rating then stick with the passive muffs or plugs until you can get something better.

I did not like the Peltor 6S. The NRR was far too low for my preference and I was also double plugging. I also found them to be so uncomfortable, I wouldn't wear them except to shoot. At least the Pro-Ears are comfy... although I do feel like Princess Leah (or a guy on the deck of an aircraft carrier) wearing them.

I have the Dillon's which I really like. Price is right, quality is good and fairly light.

I have Peltors from Midway, hate them. Terrible sound. The kind that fit behind the head. Worst $60 spent I have spent.

I have HL Pro Ears. Kind of heavy but very good.

I have the MSA. Great. Worth every penny.

Add Gel pads for an extra 20 bucks and open guns are really quiet. You probably will not have to double plug.

I have never even heard the term "gel pads" before. What are they? How are they applied? Can I get them for a Dillon Tactical 7S or HP1? Not that I have any complaints with the job they do now, but quieter is always better.

Most ear seals for headsets are foam filled. The gel versions are filled with silicone. They are more pliable than foam and will conform to your head better thereby getting a better seal. It also spreads the pressure more evenly making them more comfortable.

One of the urban myths I heard about gel seals started when I was a pilot. David Clark is the preeminent headset manufacturer in the aviation world. Myth is: when the FDA banned silicone implants, David Clark bought a tanker car of the stuff real cheap and started making headset seals from that purchase. Don't know if it's true, but makes a good story. (BTW, if you think noise canceling is expensive for shooting, try a set of David Clarks for flying - mine where around $700 - nothing in aviation is inexpensive).

Don't know if they're available for the Dillons. Call and ask, if enough people do, they might make them.

Edited by flyer

I have Pro Ears that I wear over my custom fit plugs. Plugs and muffs were about $315 so more than you want to spend. I have not found any muffs that work well enough to reduce noise when I shoot my AR with a JP break in between barrels or an echo chamber like environment. The custom plugs are the best shooting accessory I have EVER purchased.

Edited by DMAC

Bought Pro Ears, their best, and those are far superior to anything else I have ever used.

Those Peltor's and Dillon, same mfgr, are a POS and waste of money. My hearing if far more valuable to me than going cheap. Buy quality, the best you can get, and cry only once. Otherwise you will cry many times.

Add Gel pads for an extra 20 bucks and open guns are really quiet. You probably will not have to double plug.

Do you know who sells gell pads for the MSAs?

You can get David Clark gel pads thru any of the flight supply shops on the internet.....they are not an exact fit for any but it is very easy to glue them on most ear cups. They should only run about twenty bucks.

You can get MSA gel pads from www.triadtactical.com for 40.00