Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ear Muffs

jkatz44

I listened to everyone here and bought the Peltors. But in all honesty I think they suck. I've had them about a year, but only used them for a month or two. The batteries went dead pretty fast. The Batteries are a PITA to change, and if you forget to turn them off expect it not to work your next time at the range. The ear seal things don't fit snug anymore, and If I have to RO an Open gun or shoot my limited gun through a barrel my ears still hurt pretty bad, but I'm more sensitive that that then most. I went back to walmart ear plugs for a long time, but recently bought the MSA Sordins. They cost a lot more, but they work a lot better. The Peltors may in fact be the best for the money, but in hind sight I wish I followed the buy once, cry once philosophy.

Totally agree... here are my thoughts on why the MSA Sordins (or any "compression" muffs) are far superior - and worth the cost - over cheap electronic muffs.

Are the electronic Howard Leights' compression? Probably not since they are pretty cheap.

I have Pro Ears that I wear over my custom fit plugs. Plugs and muffs were about $315 so more than you want to spend. I have not found any muffs that work well enough to reduce noise when I shoot my AR with a JP break in between barrels or an echo chamber like environment. The custom plugs are the best shooting accessory I have EVER purchased.

Where did you get custom plugs, and what advantages do they offer? I suppose they have a higher NRR and are more comfortable?

FWIW, I just had an audiogram today to establish a baseline that my employer will track every year. So far my hearing is good. We are required to double plug when on the range. (I also had to watch a mandatory 20 minute film on the merits of wearing hearing protection. ARGH!)

I've been running a set of the Dillon's for 10 years or so. I think they were around $105 during some promotion when I bought them. I also have another set that I won at a match a few years ago, that listed for around $160. I forget what make they are, as I like the Dillon's better.

One of these years, I keep thinking I'll get a set of in-ear electronic plugs, but it hasn't happened yet. Muffs get hot in the summer.

• 4 months later...
I have Pro Ears that I wear over my custom fit plugs. Plugs and muffs were about $315 so more than you want to spend. I have not found any muffs that work well enough to reduce noise when I shoot my AR with a JP break in between barrels or an echo chamber like environment. The custom plugs are the best shooting accessory I have EVER purchased.

where can i get some custom fit ones

where can i get some custom fit ones

Shoot an e-mail to Wade Stober... he's an EAR Inc dealer, and makes top quality custom ear plugs. I just met him at the Area 8 match - nice guy. His e-mail address is Ear-East@hotmail.com

+1 on the Howard Leight Impact Muffs. I've always wanted to try the e-muffs but the good one's were well over $100 while the cheap ones were still ~$70 and just pieces of crap. The Howards are of excellent quality, they work good, and they cost about $60! (depending on where you get them)

Let me say that the howard leight muffs seem to be extremely good for the money but when shooting steel the slight delay drives me absolutely crazy. At my first steel match with the Howard muffs I couldn't figure out why I was shooting so many extra rounds until I realized the muffs were cutting out the shot and the "Ping" so I wasn't getting the customary audible feedback I was used to.

I now turn them off before I shoot and it makes a huge difference.

Let me say that the howard leight muffs seem to be extremely good for the money but when shooting steel the slight delay drives me absolutely crazy. At my first steel match with the Howard muffs I couldn't figure out why I was shooting so many extra rounds until I realized the muffs were cutting out the shot and the "Ping" so I wasn't getting the customary audible feedback I was used to.

I now turn them off before I shoot and it makes a huge difference.

Never shot the Howard's for steel but good to know.

Thanks!

I listened to everyone here and bought the Peltors. But in all honesty I think they suck. I've had them about a year, but only used them for a month or two. The batteries went dead pretty fast. The Batteries are a PITA to change, and if you forget to turn them off expect it not to work your next time at the range. The ear seal things don't fit snug anymore, and If I have to RO an Open gun or shoot my limited gun through a barrel my ears still hurt pretty bad, but I'm more sensitive that that then most. I went back to walmart ear plugs for a long time, but recently bought the MSA Sordins. They cost a lot more, but they work a lot better. The Peltors may in fact be the best for the money, but in hind sight I wish I followed the buy once, cry once philosophy.

I have to agree with this. If you are on a budget, get the Surefire's - can't be beat for the price. If you can afford it get the Peltor ComTac's or Sordin's. I have both and they are great. I prefer the ComTac's to the Sordin's as they are more comfortable.

I'm probably a little old fashioned, but I honestly just prefer to double plug with the cheap disposable ear inserts and a set of standard muffs. When I'm done shooting, I take off the muffs and I can still hear just fine. This ends up being a lot more comfortable over a long day of shooting. The only drawback is that I think I am about .10 slower on the buzzer because I usually don't hear the start of the beep as well. I assume that in the long term this method will allow me to maintain my hearing levels the longest, but I have been wrong before.

I have a set of pro ears I picked up 5 years ago and they still work great. I also have a new pair of pro ears gold that I recently picked up that are incredible. There is a new product on the market manufactured by champion for 40.00 that my brother said work great, a lot better then peltors.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Who makes the earmuffs for Dillon?

Okay guys and gals,

I just recieved my new Pro Ears Mag. I have to say that they are impressive. The amplification of them is unbealivable. I think the only con to them is that they are a bit bulky. But I think all of the pros outweigh this con. I am going to shoot a match with these tommorrow and I will report back here.

Later,

Jason