Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top 5 Favorite Albums of All Time

benos

Beethoven Symphony Number 9 in D Minor Makes the hair on my arms stand on end every single time I hear it.

Rumors Fleetwood Mac. I'll probably get a couple rocks tossed at me on for that one.

Zipless Vanessa Daou I gave this to Ms. Neomet when we were just friends. Shortly after she decided to date me. :P Not for the kiddies, but definitely smoking hot

Let it Bleed Rolling Stones. Ah, the memories of a misspent youth.

Come Away With Me. Nora Jones Reminded me again of why I love Jazz and got me listening to the old greats again.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ms Neomet says I have to type her list in as well so....

Tumbleweed Connection Elton John

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road Elton John

Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy Elton John

Vertigo U2

Purple Rain Prince

Wonder why we average 2-3 road trips a year to see Elton in concert? Ha!

And yes, Jethro Tull. I was the hugest fan ever, back in the beginning. Benefit is right up there, from his older sound. And Minstrel, from his more "jethro tull" sound.

And what about Joni Mitchell / Court and Spark. That's who bigJoni's named after. :)

Thanks everyone - keep em coming.

be

I'm still working on #5. Been listening to a lot more old stuff lately. With Joni Mitchell, I like the album Blue, now, better than Court and Spark. The poppy songs on Court and Spark didn't hold the power for me.

With Jethro Tull, Living in the Past is killer.

be

Working on my list - this is hard! But at the top would HAVE to be Led Zepplin II...

1) Led Zepplin II

2) Allman Brothers "Eat a Peach"

3) The Police "Synchronicity"

4) Alan Jackson "Greatest Hits v. II"

5)

Gonna have to think on the last one! What a good thread... thanks BE!

Edited by OpenShooterGirl

After the Gold Rush Neil Young

Layla and Other Love Songs Derek and the Dominoes

Fire and Ice Free

So That Tonight I Might See Mazzy Star

Mezzanine Massive Attack

I might change my mind tomorrow.

Edited by Jadeslade

5 is tough.

In no particular order.

Ozzy Diary of a Madman or Blizzard of Oz (I put both Randy albums as 1 piece)

Van Halen 1

AC/DC Highway to Hell or Back In Black

Judas Priest British Steel

Dire Straits Brothers in Arms

Although this is very subject to change. Deep Purple, Dokken, Ratt, Kiss, etc etc.

Had to think about it, so here goes

Chris LeDoux- Paint Me Back Home In Wyoming

Alison Krauss-Now that I've found you, a collection

Metallica- S&M, and Garage inc.

Hank Williams Jr. - America the way I see it

OK, here's mine. In no particular order.

Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet

Frank Zappa - Sheik Yerbouti

Fleetwood Mac - Tusk

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood

This list is subject to change, depending on my mood. Throw in some Zeppelin, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Ten Years After, Yes, Pink Floyd, etc.

1 - The Tragically Hip - World Container

2 - Janes Addiction - Nothings shocking

3 - Sugar - Blue

4 - Pixies Surfer Rosa

5 - What ever I'm listening to at the moment, there are to many good ones (some that haven't been mentioned: The Blues Explosion, Husker Du, Half Japanese, Ministry, Fugazi, Motorhead, The Minutemen, Sonic Youth, Anthrax, Archers of Loaf, Fu Manchu, Massive Attack, Faith No More, Ice Cube, Tribe Called Quest ect, ect, ect.)

5 is a tragically low number for me so I will list a few

In no particular order

Ministry - The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral and The Fragile

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti

Metallica - Master of Puppets

Anthrax - Volume 8 the Threat is Real

Iron Maiden - Powerslave

Stormtroopers of Death - Speak English or Die

P.J. Harvey - Rid Of Me

Pixies - Trompe Le Monde

Nirvana - Bleach

Tori Amos - Little Earthquake

Smashing Pumpkins - Gish

Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

Faith No More - Angel Dust

Rollins Band - The End Of Silence

Slayer - Reign in Blood

Sorry for not following the rules

Bob Marley - Any CD

Edited by ronhonda

• 3 weeks later...

It's interesting to me that 2 of my modern day favorite bands, 16 Horespower and Tool, and one of my all time favorites for the old days, Jethro Tull, don't have an album in my top 5.

But one may make it though. For 16 HP, it's either Secret South or Olden. For Jethro Tull, It could be Living In The Past. I listened to it on a road trip recently - I forgot how good it is, overall.

be

I'd need a genre...

I'm a blues guy, but it's REALLY hard to pick just five.

Off the cuff, I'd say something like

1.) ANYTHING SRV. His first albumn was a quick demo cut in a few hours that was tight enough to be released under a major label. The next two were great, and only scratched the surface, "Live Alive" was probably the worst, but has a great story and gives a sneak peak at how good SRV could be outside the confines of the studio. In Step was great. Tightrope just gets better and better, every time I hear it. "Sky Is Crying" and "Best Of" are made of the scraps left behind on the cutting room floor of earlier studio sessions, and they are STILL great. I just can't pick, and any one of them is a true, open channel to a different facet of the universal blues, by the best to ever plug in.

2.) Muddy Waters - "Hard Again". Any albumn where Johnny Winters is credited with "misc screams and feeling" is a keeper, but add to it the ultimate tough guy song, THE definitive version of "Mannish Boy", and WHO CARES what else is on it???

3.) Almost anything by Albert King. I mean honestly, this guy made a big, breathy "Whoooooooooooooooo" a legitimate lyric.

4.) Almost any Albert Collins. The master of the telecaster, funky and shrill.

5.) Buddy Guy - Damn Right I Got Da Blues! A SEARING version of "Mustang Sally", and a good, if slightly "entry level / mainstream" intro to BG.

You forgot Elmore James, John Lee Hooker, and Eric Clapton!

I had to really think on this one. But I realized all I had to do was sort my library by "most played" and the answers were obvious.

Rage Against The Machine/Rage Against The Machine

System of a Down/Toxicity

Pantera/Cowboys from Hell

Nine Inch Nails/Pretty Hate Machine

Toadies/Possum Kingdom

all very good selections!

1. Pink Floyd/Meddle

2. Jethro Tull/Songs from the Wood

3. Tool/Aenima

4. My life with the Thrill Kill Cult (TKK)/Confessions of a Knife

5. Southern Culture On The Skids (SCOTS)/Dirt Track Date

Has anyone ever translated the Tool song "Die Eier Von Satan"? You should, it's hilarious! It's German, use BabelFish. As far as it goes, my top 5 are open to change at a moments notice. Maybe to some NIN, White Stripes, different Floyd, Rage Against the Machine, Dropkick Murphys, and definitely to some Johnny Cash!

Aerosmith - Rocks (b4 they sold out)

Iron Maiden - Killers

Stones - Sticky Fingers

Temple of the Dog - self title

Clapton - The Soundtrack to the movie Rush (if you haven't heard it you should, good drifting off music)

Off the top of my head, in random order:

Beastie Boys-Paul's Boutique--the best that could ever be done with samples, would cost a bajillion dollars in royalties if they did it today.

Beatles-Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts club band--'nuff said.

Wu-Tang Clan-36 Chambers--lean, hungry, and raw. hip-hop at it's best.

DJ Shadow-Endtroducing--wholly unique and uncategorizable. Each song is odd and almost unpleasant by itself, but brilliant as part of the album. I once listened to this 3 times in a row without getting bored.

D'Angelo-Voodoo--the album is just like makin' love, starts with foreplay, ends with cuddling, all the best in between. Lasts longer than 2 minutes, though. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hard to keep it to 5... of all times... here goes :unsure:

The Allman Brothers Band - Fillmore East

Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain

Beatles - Revolver

Metallica - Black Album

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers

Yeah, this one is pretty tough to answer.

T. Bone Burnette "Proof Through the Night" Lyrics on this one just stand out as some of the best I've ever heard. :cheers:

Dylan "Empire Burlesque" It's hard for me to pick a favorite Dylan album because none of the anthology type albums really do it all for me. :angry2:

"A Decade of Steely Dan" Many of my faves on this compilation, much easier than picking a single Dylan album. :wacko:

"The Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble". Well, it's essential! :rolleyes: And it got a lot of great stuff on it, which kind of helps make up for having to pick a single Dylan album. :angry2:

Doc and Merle Watson "Live and Pickin" This one just makes me feel happy! :cheers:

It's interesting to me that 2 of my modern day favorite bands, 16 Horespower and Tool, and one of my all time favorites for the old days, Jethro Tull, don't have an album in my top 5.

But one may make it though. For 16 HP, it's either Secret South or Olden. For Jethro Tull, It could be Living In The Past. I listened to it on a road trip recently - I forgot how good it is, overall.

be

A Little Light Music by Jethro Tull is great hangover or road trip music. :cheers:

• 3 months later...

Richard Buckner's The Hill qualifies for the number 5 spot, for now. It's an alt-country, ballad style, and you have to be "emotionally ready." Which I have been lately. It's killer start to finish. And especially when you realize that for the most part, it's just him singing and playing an acoustic guitar.

I've seen him play a couple times - he'll put you in trans right along with him as he's playing.

be