Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best open gun setup for a girl?

ironb

my girlfriend has gotten the uspsa bug. she's been shooting my xdm 9mm in production. the recoil on it has been a bit difficult for her. Can anyone recommend a better option?

If she's shooting factory ammo in the XDM, she can try loading 124/147 grain bullets as they will be much 'softer.' If you don't reload, factory 147's like Atlanta Arms work very well.

Edited by al503

If there is any way to do it I would see if she could shoot a couple different Open guns. What you think you want may not really what you want. There is a big difference in the way different Open guns feel and how well different people people tolerate the blast of short guns or guns with lots of ports in them.

edited to add that if you don't reload try some of the 147 grain 9mm from Atlanta Arms and Ammo. They have the recoil of little bunny farts.

Edited by Neomet

my girlfriend has gotten the uspsa bug. she's been shooting my xdm 9mm in production. the recoil on it has been a bit difficult for her. Can anyone recommend a better option?

get her a 38 super STI trubore, that should do it :)

Yeah, most Open guns have a lot more recoil straight back than people realize....not all of course.

If an XDM is too much and the 147 Minor idea doesn't pan out you could always look at a Limited gun in 9mm or a single stack in 9mm....both are really soft. Something like a Caspian framed 9mm Lim gun would be about as soft shooting as you can get and still not have a huge grip.

Sticking with Production style guns, .40 loaded to minor can be even softer than 9mm and if you combine that with a gun that isn't really light (like XDs, M&P's and Glocks are) that might be soft enough....just a thought.

Yeah, most Open guns have a lot more recoil straight back than people realize....not all of course.

If an XDM is too much and the 147 Minor idea doesn't pan out you could always look at a Limited gun in 9mm or a single stack in 9mm....both are really soft. Something like a Caspian framed 9mm Lim gun would be about as soft shooting as you can get and still not have a huge grip.

Sticking with Production style guns, .40 loaded to minor can be even softer than 9mm and if you combine that with a gun that isn't really light (like XDs, M&P's and Glocks are) that might be soft enough....just a thought.

i should have been more specific. it's not the recoil, it's more the muzzle flip than anything else. i have some 125 coming in from georgia ammo. i'll have her give that a try.

A 9mm Open gun with minor PF ammo. It's almost like shooting a .22 with the right load, I may be exaggerating, but that would be the thing to do for a soft shooting, with minimal flip gun. Same could be done with a super, but I am thinking 9mm factory ammo etc...

sp 101 , with 147 grain bullets. The gun weighs a bit more, the barrel axis to grip is as low as it gets. Barrel axis and grip have a lot to do with muzzle flip. If she wanted to shoot open minor the earlier suggestion would be a good idea, if she has a competitive streak open minor would be bad.

If you are thinking about 9mm open she better shoot one first, there isn't any flip but every shot is a fire cracker going of in your face. When I shoot production I use 147 grain bullets with solo 1000 powder, almost no flip with a glock. the lighter the bullet the more snap, and that's most of the muzzle flip. depending on how long she has been shooting she might get used to it and be able to control it better. Before I would change platforms try heavier bullets, there are 160 gr 9mm out there I haven't tried them and you might have to re spring the gun but the flip would turn into a push.

Can you post a picture or video of her shooting? It's possible it might be a technique problem that won't be solved with a gun or ammo switch.

+1, exactly what I was thinking...

Have her try out a Tanfoglio or CZ, they both have lower barrels in relation to the grip so they have less muzzle rise. Plus you can get smaller grip plates that fit smaller hands. My wife shoots a Tanfo now in Limited and loves it. she tried tons of different pistols too...

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

get her a 38 super STI trubore, that should do it :)

+100 on that suggestion- I love my Trubor! And, of course, it MUST be pink! :D

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...950&hl=pink

Have her try out a Tanfoglio or CZ, they both have lower barrels in relation to the grip so they have less muzzle rise. Plus you can get smaller grip plates that fit smaller hands. My wife shoots a Tanfo now in Limited and loves it. she tried tons of different pistols too...

jj

+1 I set up my P9 to my daughter and converted to open

Eaa has a very small grip and suits well.

+1 on a Trubor, and if she doesn't like it, you have yourself a new Open gun. You can always get her a .38 Super and have the extractor tuned .38SC and start her on Atlanta Arms .38SC minor load. It shoots so soft it isn't even funny. A few tips I have learned along the way, have her double plug, and make sure you offer her repetitive lessons on grip and recoil management. If she's taught the proper technique instead of just handing her a gun it will make her shooting more enjoyable. A lot of women like learning new things.

My wife recently shot in the Lady Smith match out in Louisiana. She got 5th overall in the match, her score was bested by the 4 Pro shooting instructors, 62 total in the match. It was a good confidence boost for her. I am very proud of her progression, she has only been shooting about 6 months now.

Can you post a picture or video of her shooting? It's possible it might be a technique problem that won't be solved with a gun or ammo switch.

+2 there is probably more to this. Even factory loads in an XDm shouldn't be too much unless the factory loads are +P.

No offense intended here. I just don't want you to look into a minimum $3k investment into the Dark Side when this could be a simple technique problem that could be resolved through training.

I used to have a P9 (EAA) open gun in 9x21, and I agree, that would make a great open gun for a girl. Small comfortable grip, and when using minor loads had very little recoil.

+2 there is probably more to this. Even factory loads in an XDm shouldn't be too much unless the factory loads are +P.

No offense intended here. I just don't want you to look into a minimum $3k investment into the Dark Side when this could be a simple technique problem that could be resolved through training.

Worse than that, spend the $3000 and still have the issue. Open is not a cure all.

Worse than that, spend the $3000 and still have the issue. Open is not a cure all.

Now you just hush your mouth. If it wasn't for guys spending $3000 for the wrong gun, then selling them for 80% of their new cost, guys like me would never be able to afford to shoot.

+1 on a Trubor, and if she doesn't like it, you have yourself a new Open gun. You can always get her a .38 Super and have the extractor tuned .38SC and start her on Atlanta Arms .38SC minor load. It shoots so soft it isn't even funny. A few tips I have learned along the way, have her double plug, and make sure you offer her repetitive lessons on grip and recoil management. If she's taught the proper technique instead of just handing her a gun it will make her shooting more enjoyable. A lot of women like learning new things.

My wife recently shot in the Lady Smith match out in Louisiana. She got 5th overall in the match, her score was bested by the 4 Pro shooting instructors, 62 total in the match. It was a good confidence boost for her. I am very proud of her progression, she has only been shooting about 6 months now.

Thanks for the advice - yes, Im going to double plug her this weekend. :surprise:

I mean, Im going to have her use double plugs this weekend. I ordered a couple of other custom open guns, so she'll probably wind up with my Grand Master after I get the new toys. Although I mentioned that already and she DID say she wanted a pink grip!!! too funny.

My GF shoots both open and production. for open she prefers the SVI as i fits her hand better. she has tried a few with the trigger guard relived and she is thinking of doing that to hers as well. for comparison sake she is 5' 2" 135 lbs.

for production she much prefers shooting 147. less "twist" and the gun pushes straight back. she is suing an Shadow.

Edited by walter hornby

In the S_I grips, I think the undercut and shaping of the grip is a huge improvement. Derek has rounded/reshaped my grip and made a high undercut and trigger guard cut. Makes all the difference in the world to me!

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...st&id=22991

I also settled on a long-shortie, or short-longie (a full size, cut back)... the long open guns are just too slow in transitioning and the short ones have too much "blast-in-your-face" for me. My personal preference.

Biggest pieces of advice... let her pick and make sure it's one that works. Nothing is more frustrating when you're trying to learn than dealing with malfunctions.