Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What manufacturers lead bullets are you shooting?

hawk45

Never reloaded lead before but think it's time to get into the game. FMJs are just too expensive. Who's lead is good but not as expensive as FMJs?

What's good and cheap for practice and competition?

Is there a particular style that is better for competion?

Thanks,

John

I'm considering playing with some heavy lead. I spoke with Mike @ Shuemann and he schooled me on .40 accuracy. I was not aware of the fact that the heavier bullet will have a larger bearing surface and therefore be inherently more accurate. I knew that heavy bullet/fast powder gave a nice recoil note, but the accuracy seems like an added bonus --- although its probably wasted on me!

i have been casting my own bullets. i use the lee 175gr tc mold with the lube ring and straight wheel weights. i have been using zipp powder but going to try some solo1000. very little smoke and very little leading. i would shoot these in any match local or major.

um.. er.. my own ;) but until I can get the lubricity issue down, for now Bear Creeks.. :)

Bear Creek is still around? I have not been able to find anthing on them. I found some nice 180gr LFP's at a gun show from an outfit called Pir-Tactical. The website is still in the works but here is an email:

sales@pir-tactical.com

I can't say enough good about S&S casting. I shoot with Jim every month.....great guy who produces a superior product. I personally shoot his 40S&W 140 FP for production.....I've loaded and shot 10,000

Edited by Dave S

Yes Bear Creek is still around - no website. I have used Valiant lead bullets for 20+ years. Seems like I paid $41 or $42 per 1,000 delivered for 10,000 200 gr SWC .45 bullets in November.

Edited by Joe D

Is there any leading issues to be concearned with , with a non moly coated lead bullet?The prices are very attractive.

I've been shooting hard lead bullets out of my .40 and .45 for years with little lead build up. They do get the gun DIRTY, but then again, I do clean them every 8-10 boxes. I like to shoot 5-10 jacketed bullets before cleaning, which gets most of the bad stuff out of the rifling. You'll also get some smoke (mostly) from the bullet lube, which you'll notice more on humid days.

For health reasons (and visibility), I don't shoot them indoors.

I'm shooting a 6 inch P-16 with a Shuman Classic .40 barrel.

My currently using a Mastercast 155 grain Lead Semiwadcutter bullet at 1090 fps for Major. I pushed them up to 1190 fps with no additional leading.

----------------------------------------------

Mastercast has made some great bullets for me. They're accurate and hard. Unfortunately, they are also really SLOW to deliver. I've waited 3 months BEFORE the buying craze started. I may try someone else's.

http://www.mastercastbullets.com

My S&S order arrived yesterday.. 1k .40cal 180gr FP and 1K 185gr TRFP .45cal

Look great and super fast shipping. Can't wait to load some up and try them out.

Edited by hawk45

Has anyone tried http://www.keadbullets.com/ ?

They claim

The alloy used in KEAD bullets is a 2% tin, 8% antimony mix - very hard and clean. ……..harder bullets that run well in Glocks - stock Glock barrels. :surprise:

Sound go to me since I am planning to get a Glock 34 for production.

Thomas

I have used Kead bullets before and was pleased with them. No problems. Good prices too.

Thier .45 cal 185 & 200 grain SWC bullets had the same nose profile too, so I could switch between them and not adjust my press (except for powder, of course).

Good prices too.