Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying expensive gun on gunbroker.com

There's this nice and expensive pistol on gunbroker. Seller has never sold anything on that site so has no history.

What procedures should I follow if I go through with the purchase?

I mean if a cashiers check for the item is overnighted, and purchased pistol never shows at my FFL?? :surprise:

BB

If a postal money orders are acceptable to the seller, I would do it that way. If the seller is not on the up and up, you may have some recourse through the USPS for fraud that you wouldn't with some other form of payment. If you have a bud that is local to the seller, have him see if the seller is willing to let someone take a gander at it in person. Other than that, the fact that he doesn't have feedback has to be a factor that you'll have to consider in relation to the price, etc.

I never buy from a NR seller. Minimum I would get his phone number and actually call him. Perhaps he has a rating on E-Bay or something. Be very careful, with these economic conditions, scams have got to be on the rise.

I always ask for pictures. I'll also ask if they can take a pix of something unusual, say from the top of the slide, or from the muzzle. Just trying to insure they actually have the firearm in their possession. No pix=no deal for me!

Ask the seller what their address is, then get them to FAX you a copy of their drivers license. No probs if they are on the up and up. Make sure postal address matches the addy on their license as well.

I was just thinking about what Al503 posted. The part regarding a friend in the area. Perhaps there's a Benos member that would be close by and be willing to go by and have a look for you. You can buy him some beer for his efforts. Just a thought.

I've had positive experiences on GunBroker.com with money order purchases there for two separate 1911s. One fo $450, one for $1,025. Money orders can be traced (and even cancelled) if lost or otherwise not reaching their destinations. They're as good as cash to any seller. I sent the MOs return receipt requested so there is a trail of receipt, too. The two sellers' photos of the guns matched the product I received from them mere days later. Both were FFLs in their own right and were in the business. I felt I was taking a calculated risk, but not a serious one. Again, a gut feeling told me these transactions were OK at that time.

Oh, and they were really nice guns for the money. B)

Tell the seller your FFL will require a copy of his drivers license to do the transfer, which most do these days. See if the seller has a problem with this. Do NOT use a cashiers check, that is just like cash and cannot be canceled for AT LEAST 90 days, and most banks don't even want to do it then. With a Postal Money Order there is some recourse through the government chains as it now becomes a fraudulent activity with a felony price tag.

I have never sold anything on Gun Broker, but have been a member there for a while. As a seller, I would be more than happy to do an escrow on the funds. You get the product, you are happy, I got the funds.

And don't forget to use the US Mail (registered, return receipt) for sending payment. That way if things go south the postal inspectors can get involved. They take a dim view of fraud.

95% of all Online Escrow services are scams. Be very very careful when choosing one, and make sure it's you that chooses it.

+1 The California Department of Corporations has been pretty aggressive in going after fraudulent escrow companies. They have a list of the the fraudulent companies on their website.

Here is something that was once suggested to me:

One advantage of having to go though an FFL is that FFLs are on record and can easily be checked. Ask them what FFL they will be using and check this person out and make sure that they have spoken with the seller. Clear it with the FFL and agree to mail the CC or MO to the FFL. The seller can pick it up when they deliver the gun for shipment.

Money orders can be traced (and even cancelled) if lost or otherwise not reaching their destinations.

Just be aware that the Post Office requires you to pay a fee to investigate and then, IF the original M.O. is not cashed, will refund only AFTER 60 says from the date of issue.

I'm now stuck in this situation from a M.O. that ended up going awry.

If the original seller...or more likely whoever in his apartment complex that got his mail...decides to cash it, I'm not sure what will happen next.

This is the only time I've had a problem with a M.O....besides standing in line for hours to get one...but it's a pain in the posterior since I had to send the seller another and awaiting to see if I get my funds back without any more hassle but the time delay. Makes me appreciate credit cards and even the online payment processing company that shall go unnamed B)

Curtis

Here is something that was once suggested to me:

One advantage of having to go though an FFL is that FFLs are on record and can easily be checked. Ask them what FFL they will be using and check this person out and make sure that they have spoken with the seller. Clear it with the FFL and agree to mail the CC or MO to the FFL. The seller can pick it up when they deliver the gun for shipment.

That's seems like an excellent idea if I were in your shoes :cheers:

Curtis

• 2 weeks later...

Be aware that the USPS insurance is also a problem if you need to file a claim you have to get the seller who bought the insurance to provide all receipts on his end or there is no insurance as far as your destination PO is concerned and you are out of luck.