Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Practical: G34 or G17?

hawk45

I just got into my first club match/training class. I used my G35 with a LoneWolf 40-9 conversion barrel. I know I can't use this for real competition so I was thinking of either getting a G34 or G17. Which would you choose? G17 is cheaper but the G35 has a better trigger and longer sight radius.

On a side note I am going to start to develope a .40 cal minor load for the G35 and maybe conver that to an open gun in the future.

Thanks,

Hawk

The same trigger feel can be achieved with both the G17 and G34. I personally shoot a G34 in USPSA, but either one will be more than fine for USPSA.

FWIW: Glock Production Nation Champions Dave Sevigny and Robert Vogel used a G34 to shoot their way to victory.

Honestly I like the feel of a 17 better than a 34. I have been shooting a 34 in production for over a year now. This year I think I am going to set up one of my 17s and give it a try though.

Edited by Rising Sight

Bob Vogel shoots mostly the long slides. I know him personally, and I would take his recommendation. After all, he his the 2008 USPSA national production champ.

Edited by Adam P.

Thanks guys.. I'll go see what the local shop has on hand or can order (fingers crossed).

BTW.. glad to see some S.W. Ohio guys on here. I'm a UD grad born and raised in Cincinnati.

Edited by hawk45

I shot a 34 and a 22 on the same courses of fire a couple of weeks ago. I noticed a difference in recoil with factory ammo and a difference in sights because I have Warren Tacticals on my 34 and Glock Night sights on my 22. What I didn't notice was 3/4 an inch difference in sight radius. I love my 34 but intend on putting together a 17 with similar components as a backup and GSSF gun. I think you wil be happy with either.

If I loaded ammo instead of shooting factory, I would probably either load a 40 minor load and shoot production with it or honestly buy some arrendondo extensions load a manageable 40 major load and shoot your 35 in Limited. Production will get you lots of reload practice and experience shooting accuracy, but limited could be a lot of fun............

No matter what you decide your equipment won't hold you back.

Just pick one and shoot the crap out of it. It really doesn't matter that much. I shoot bot a 34 and a 17 in production and a G24 in Limited. I also have a 35, but turned that into a nightstand gun. They are all about the same, and just starting out the rounds down range are more important than the gun chucking them.

I've had a ton of different glock models and I have to say the 34 is the best glock I've ever shot followed closely by the 19 which is my carry gun. The 17 was my first glock and is good but if i'm going to have a full size gun I want the longest barrel and or slide for it. If I could put the 34 slide on the 19 I might even cary it.

Mule

Edited by SingleStacker45

Marty Hayes, the head man at the Firearms Academy of Seattle, used to carry a Glock 22 that had the butt belt sanded down to the length of a Glock 23, and carried it with a G23 mag in the gun. If you really, really want a Glock 34 slide and barrel on a G19-length butt, it's not unattainable. :lol:

I have and shoot all the popular Glocks.

In USPSA however, I have to "work harder" (more careful and time consuming sighting) for the long range shots with the G17, than with say the G34 or G35.

In fact I believe those of us shooting the G34 or 35 have an advantage when it comes to the longer harder shots.

BB

I would just get a 26/27 and just impress the hell out of everybody. :roflol: ...i shoot a 34 and got the other 3..perfer the 34 outside and a 19 for inside shooting...the 17 aint been used in 4 yrs..but was thinking about setting it up with a Vanek system and new sights,just to try something different..

Firing a Glock 34 and a 17 on the IDPA classifier, I find I turn in pretty much identical scores with both. I don't find the G34 an advantage on the longer shots. For me, both guns work fine. For daily concealment use, though I did carry the 34 for about four years, these days I carry the shorter, slightly easier to conceal 17. With both guns turning in identical performances, it is kind of hard to make a case for the bigger gun. As always, of course, YMMV. ;)

• 1 month later...

Sounds like your set on getting another Glock (lol).

The Glock 34 & 35 are great guns. I have both plus a 17. The 17 feels better because its quicker on target, but I shoot a lot better with the others. As much as I like the 17 I never shoot it. I shoot the 34 mostly because 9mm bullets are less expensive. But, personally I like the 35 more. With 4.3 Tite Group I make Major and I think its smoother then my 34. But to each his own, everyone is different.

So, If you have a stock 35 barrel and you reload; I would use it with a minor or smooth major load and you can shoot Production and Limited without a dramatically different platform.

If your dead set on another Glock right now, I would buy a new G34 over the G17. The longer sight radius, the adjustable rear sight, the extended mag release, and the trigger make it a better gun then the 17.

Larry P

Get a 17L. Its the 6 inch version. If you are going to get a long slide, you might as well get a 6 inch long slide. You get an even longer sight radius and the recoil is softer. I have a 24 (6 inch .40 cal) upper that has a 9mm conversion barrel. When shooting 9mm factory and minor loaded ammo through the 6 inch and my 17. The 6inch upper out performed the 17. I found it easier to get on target faster, hit more accurately at distance and the gun shot SUPER soft. The best I could do with the 24 and the 17 upper was consistent .16 splits so the long slide wasn't slowing me down any compared to the 17.

I ran the same stage twice at the last USPSA match I went to. First with the 24 with the conversion barrel in, and the second time with the 17. I was using the same frame, just swapping out uppers. My times were about the same, with in the same second, but I had more A hits with the long upper than I did with the 17. With minor 9mm ammo and a different recoil spring, the 17L is a sweet shooting pistol.

You can't use the 17L or 24 in production so get some aaredondo bases and shoot limited.

You can't use the 17L or 24 in production so get some aaredondo bases and shoot limited.

Buying a gun (17L) that's going to force you to shoot Minor in Limited is kinda silly....

Edited by G-ManBart

Your Glock 35 with a minor load in 40 can shoot competitively at the very highest levels in Production division.

And, you can load it to Major power factor and run it fantastically in Limited or Limited-10.

No need to buy a new gun unless you want to...

If you want to...then you can justify that by the price difference between 9mm and 40cal bullets. After 10 or 20 thousand rounds...the 9mm gun will have paid for itself in the savings.

Performance wise...it just doesn't really matter. Pick one and practice.

If you want to...then you can justify that by the price difference between 9mm and 40cal bullets. After 10 or 20 thousand rounds...the 9mm gun will have paid for itself in the savings.

My math may not be the best, but I think it'll take more than 10-20K if he reloads. Right now 9 and 40 cases cost the same from the Brassman. Primers are the same. Assuming the same powder (lets say Titegroup) .40 with a 180 take about 1gr more powder than a 9 with a 147....ballpark. Titegroup is running about $14/Lb. At 3.5gr per you get 2,000 charges out of a pound and at 4.5gr you get 1,555 (use 1500 for easy math). So we're looking at $7/K for 9mm and $10.50 for 40. Using Montana Gold as a baseline, 9mm 147s are $98/K and .40 180s are $114/K. So, we're looking at $16/K less for bullets and $3.50 less for powder....round it up and call it $20/K less for 9mm. Figure at least $600-650 for a new G34 right? That pushes it out to at least 30K+ and that's being a little generous towards the 9 and assuming he doesn't spend any money on mods to the gun like sights etc. Still, for most folks here that's not a crazy number in the grand scheme of things.

I long ago gave up on the idea of saving any money by buying another gun, another press, another anything....got the gun now I need a pile of mags and a new set of dies, and a stash of bullets and a different powder and some better sights and oops, I'm out of gun rugs, better get one for it, now I need a bigger safe and another press for that cartridge.... :roflol: I'm sure I'd be better off with two guns...one primary, one backup, buy ammo from AAA and spend the rest of the time dry firing :wacko:

You already have the G35 and you are already planning on developing a 40-minor load for it. Why not just shoot the G35 with the stock barrel?

+1 here! I run a G35 in Limited, Limited-10, and Production (minus my magwell & Tungsten guide rod). I reload also and have a good minor load that I can run in production.

Since you have the G35 already, I would run that.

z-