Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hot brass & stitches

jasmap

I'm happy to hear that you're beginning to heal now. I appreciate you sharing your experience with us. Every time I see someone catch the ejected round by cupping their hand over the ejection port I just cringe. If I'm the RO I explain the possible consequences. Most listen and change but some just persist in this dangerous practice.

Edited by XD Niner

Thanks guys. I am also a Border Patrol firearms instructor and I plan to work this in a lecture or some of the training.

I have also passed it on to other instructors for BP and some PD guys I know.

I've seen this happen at my range while ROing. I had to take the guy up to Urgent Care. He ended up healing without any issues. He cupped the ejection port and before he could be stopped forced the slide back and forth and BAM! From what I remember, happenend a few years ago, it was with a 9mm Glock.

We have now have a rule at our club and continually make sure new shooters are not making this mistake.

I'm guilty of peeking into the ejection port while the round comes out as well. Bad habits are hard to break. I have to fix this, my eyes and body parts are to expensive for the free work I do ;)

Good luck with the healing process, hope you return to 100%, of course the scars will be a reminder ;)

Jeez, the things you will do for a little attention and a beauty mark on your face....

This has gotten me thinking about unloading to show clear and I think I am going to be a little more aware of where the ejection port is facing. I am thinking of angling the front of the barrel off to the left a little so that if there is a kaboom there isn't a direct shot at my face or the RO. While Jason will look distinguished with his new scar it would just make me look.... worse. :rolleyes:

Jeez, the things you will do for a little attention and a beauty mark on your face....

This has gotten me thinking about unloading to show clear and I think I am going to be a little more aware of where the ejection port is facing. I am thinking of angling the front of the barrel off to the left a little so that if there is a kaboom there isn't a direct shot at my face or the RO. While Jason will look distinguished with his new scar it would just make me look.... worse. :rolleyes:

That's not true Rick....NOTHING could make you look worse. :roflol:

Just kidding.

The one that always scares the hell out of me with this is when a gun gets locked up due to a fat case or something, and you have to grab the slide tight and smack the grip to get the gun open.... oh man, talk about pucker factor! :surprise:

Run a lighter recoil spring ;) Then you can rack the slide from below ala Todd Jarrett. Ask him why he does that... ;)

How do you rack it from below? Push from the front or pinch around the dust cover? I tried on my 1911 and its not exactly easy to get all the way back, but then I don't know what my spring tension is.

-Chris

How do you rack it from below? Push from the front or pinch around the dust cover? I tried on my 1911 and its not exactly easy to get all the way back, but then I don't know what my spring tension is.

Grab the front cocking serrations with your thumb and first one or two fingers on the weak hand from below the dust cover. I find it tough to do with anything heavier than a 12# spring. But, I can rack the slide all the way back that way...

Grab the front cocking serrations with your thumb and first one or two fingers on the weak hand from below the dust cover. I find it tough to do with anything heavier than a 12# spring. But, I can rack the slide all the way back that way...

And after this weekend I will make every effort to ALWAYS unload and show clear in this manner. I do it sometimes but not normally. I can assure everyone that I won't forget to do it now.

Bah, I don't have any front serrations and I'm sure my spring is over 12#. I'll have to keep this in mind for the future though.

Same thing happened to a shooter at our match last weekend. He ended up with a few cuts and hurt pride but no real damage. Nice lady shooting with us was a nurse so he got the treatment. Then he got the DQ. He was a good sport about it and ro'd the rest of the match for the squad.

come on guys! I am a wimpy girly-girl and I rack the slide from below on my P14-45 without front serrations with a 16# spring. I have always done it this way since a friend had the same kind of AD but he was holding the rear serrations with thumb on the right. When it fired the Bomar cut his palm open. I quickly learned to reach from under to the front of the slide. 2 of my pistols have front serrations; the P14-45 has no front serrations and I still do it that way.

Same thing happened to a shooter at our match last weekend. He ended up with a few cuts and hurt pride but no real damage. Nice lady shooting with us was a nurse so he got the treatment. Then he got the DQ. He was a good sport about it and ro'd the rest of the match for the squad.

What was the DQ for?

10.4.3.1 Exception – a detonation, which occurs while unloading a handgun,

is not considered a shot or discharge subject to a match disqualification,

however, Rule 5.1.6 may apply.

Sad that he got DQ'ed. Not to assume it's the case here, but I hate when rules like 10.4.3.1 are forgotten.

Wow, glad to hear it wasn't any worse than that....yikes :surprise:

I'm definitely going to re-examine my ULSC habits after this even though I've heard about it before and I have a friend with some brass shrapnel in his hand from a similar situation. R,

...I hate the scratch on my face and I hate the stitches in my hand. I guess I can go read Lanny Basham's book now.

Glad to hear it wasn't much worse.

I hear chicks dig scars :cheers:

It's true... They do dig 'em. Gives us character and adds to our charm.

Happened to me last fall. Took a chunk out of my bicep. Found weak extractor springs the cause.

I saw the blood and carnage from this one, was an Aftec with I would guess something like 15K rounds on it. I rack from the back of the gun when loading and unloading. Doesn't make me immune but is as good as any other method for staying out of the way of a detonation. I had a 45 pop years ago on the ejector and learned to keep my dorkskinners away from the ejection port. It isn't IF, it is WHEN this happens to you. We shoot as much as 100 or more people in the shooting public so it happens to 'us' far more often. Best to be ready for your turn before it happens.

Happened to me last fall. Took a chunk out of my bicep. Found weak extractor springs the cause.

I saw the blood and carnage from this one, was an Aftec with I would guess something like 15K rounds on it. I rack from the back of the gun when loading and unloading. Doesn't make me immune but is as good as any other method for staying out of the way of a detonation. I had a 45 pop years ago on the ejector and learned to keep my dorkskinners away from the ejection port. It isn't IF, it is WHEN this happens to you. We shoot as much as 100 or more people in the shooting public so it happens to 'us' far more often. Best to be ready for your turn before it happens.

I pray this was my 1 & only Howard. I am pretty sure that skid mark in my underwear wasn't there before this happened to me Friday.

I pray this was my 1 & only Howard. I am pretty sure that skid mark in my underwear wasn't there before this happened to me Friday.

Jason,

Good thing this is the only thing that happened to you , i saw a thumb blown off because of that

Speedy recovery my Friend

August

Edited by ogiebb

The one that always scares the hell out of me with this is when a gun gets locked up due to a fat case or something, and you have to grab the slide tight and smack the grip to get the gun open.... oh man, talk about pucker factor! :surprise:

Yep after having one blow on me in my limited gun while doing exactly that (which resulted in stitches and a surgeon having to dig a piece of the brass out of my chest). I just won't do it any more. I either find something to smack the muzzle on (which won't let this happen since the slide can't go back far enough for the cartridge to get loose and have the primer find the ejector). Or I stop myself and deal with it then. Dealing with the situation was expensive and painful, not something I intend to do again.

I got the stitches out today. The cuts aren't completely healed but the stitches are now out. My finger is still partially numb and so is my thumb but the doc said that should subside over time. It's weird when I wash my hands and the water is cold except over the injured areas and then the water feels warm.

I know for sure one police Firearms Instructor has already began discussion with his officers about clearing their guns, cupping the ejection port (which I didn't do), etc... At least this may help someone.

I can't shoot just yet (that's why I've quit hounding KGentry to get me on the team) but it shouldn't be too terribly long.