Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which of the 2 do you like the best?

target1911

I switched from Ghost to CR Speed last year. The Ghost is fast and smooth. I could not get along with the lock - which is basically required for any situation where the gun might get bumped before the draw (seated, etc). I tend to grab the lever with my finger and pull it toward the gun as I manipulate it - this causes the lever to bind, and not move... Most folks don't seem to have this problem, but I couldn't seem to shake it. I like the "bikini" style of the holster - it doesn't get in the way at all.

CR Speed is just as fast, though there's more feedback as the gun releases (so it doesn't feel quite so smooth). The muzzle cap helps insure that the gun isn't going to get bumped. I haven't run into any retention issues with the holster, though some folks have. When it was unlocked, I had the gun hit the dirt a couple of times out of the Ghost (luckily, during practice, unloaded). Haven't had that happen w/ the CR Speed. The CR Speed can be a tad trickier to get the gun back in - once you get used to how it feels and operates, its no big deal.

In the end, they both work.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm shooting Open, I'd be shooting a Kydex holster.... Just something to think about... ;)

I agree with everything Dave just said. I tried a Ghost but I wasn't comfortable with the lock either. I feel a little more secure with my CR Speed on unlocked stages. My draw times were almost identical from each holster also. Both holsters are great holsters though, you just have to practice with each.

I also agree with Dave in that for a Glock 34/35 I would reccomend a kydex such as a BladeTech DOH. Draw speeds are not really reduced and they feel a little more secure than either the Ghost or the CR Speed. I have seen guns fall out of all 3 holsters though......including 1 of mine at Area II which earned me my 1st major match DQ.

I'm just the opposite of Dave & Jason. I tried the CR Speed when I got one as part of a package deal with a Glock35 I bought, and just didn't like it. I found that even when the gun was locked I could grab it and pull it out of the holster. Which led me to ask "is the lock really working or isn't it ?"

I like the idea of a muzzle cap, but after buying a Ghost and trying it with my open gun I loved it. The nice thing is that I can use it for Limited & Open without making any changes or mods to the holster. Doesn't matter if I'm shooting a 5" gun or a 6" gun. The holster works the same for all similar types of guns. Glocks & 2011's obviously are gonna be different, but you could use any type of Glock (34 or 17) in the same holster with no changes.

For vigirous movement with the pistol in the holster and keeping it there until its needed, the Ghost is the bees knees. Going prone to shoot a rifle in 3 gun with a holstered pistol? no problem with a Ghost, as long as the lever stays put. Not saying it is impossible to move the lever by accident from the top locked position, but really unlikely.

A pistol in a CR in the same situation can be rather easily removed even when locked.

If its locked in a Ghost, it ain't coming out.

The draw is a secondary consideration to me, I want the pistol to stay put until I need it.

jj

I do currently have the CR Speed. I have yet to use it in a match tho. I have done some dry fire with it. It does seem to be rather rough on the draw and tho it is difficult, I can draw it past the lock.

I have found that the lock lever is very hard to manipulate if I must draw from a locked holster for what ever reason....if it is because I forgot to unlock the darn thing.

Not to mention, I have seen more wedgies :sick::huh::o:surprise::yawn::roflol: , than I care to mention, due to the CR Speed......even when unlocked

I have not tried the Ghost at all and that is reason for my question.

Edited by target1911

+1 on Ghost holster. I agree with Chris what he said about CR Speed holsters.

I heard a story about 5 DQ's in one stage where you needed to go one step, open door and then draw a gun. All DQ's were for dropped guns. Guess what holsters were used for those unlucky guys? CR Speed.

Edited by Ramas

Had a CR holster- not very safe even when locked!

The Ghost holster is much more secure when locked!

In lock mode the CR was bumped from behind and the

gun was on the deck. With the Ghost- locked is just

that locked- I have had NO issues with either of my

Ghost's- Glock34&35- end of story! :rolleyes:

I tried the CR Speed and did not care for it. It certainly has some good features, but just did not "feel" right.

For several years, using a Ghost for Open and Limited. Really like it. If you try a fast poerful draw from a Ghost with it locked you will have the moter of all wedgies, it will not come if locked.

For my Glock and 1911, I use Kydex.

I have both (plus an 012) and currently use the CR. I used a Ghost for years. The Ghost felt better on the draw, is more convenient to travel with and the lock is better. I like being able to put the gun back in in the exact same motion as I'll be drawing it out later.

So why did I switch to CR? Every so often on my surrender draw, I'd get the dreaded 'ghost bind' if I came in too hard from the side. If that's not a problem for you then it may be the way to go.

I have been using a Ghost for the last year and was considering going to a CR Speed for 3 gun. The CR looks like it would be more secure because of the muzzle cap etc. I am glad you asked this question and received the replies from people who have used both. Looks like I will stay with my Ghost.

I have both. Like both. I use the ghost because I dropped my gun and DQd with the CR. I like the ability to set the lock on the Ghost and still be able to unlock it during a stage for starts from awkward positions. I used my CR for a couple of years with no problems when I ran my 1911. It was either too tight or too loose for my STI. I have several friends who have run their CR for years without a single problem.

Had a CR holster- not very safe even when locked!

The Ghost holster is much more secure when locked!

In lock mode the CR was bumped from behind and the

gun was on the deck. With the Ghost- locked is just

that locked- I have had NO issues with either of my

Ghost's- Glock34&35- end of story! :rolleyes:

I like Chris Keens idea how about a poll- or has one

already been done? :unsure:

I started out with a CR because I liked that it could be adjusted for different length guns and I hadn't been able to examine a Ghost to see how it worked/locked/unlocked.

After I had the chance to check out a Ghost I picked up one ASAP. I like the positive locking, not a pull through like the CR and the draw felt more natural for me. I also like the fact that I can use the same rig for both my limited and open guns withotu having to change anything. With the CR you need to adjust the muzzel spud distance and with the Ghost you don't.

Neal in AZ

Edited by Intel6

I have witnessed three dropped guns with a Ghost and none with a CR speed so my experience seems different than some. I have been very happy with my CR speed and like the option of leaving it locked for a sitting start, and then yanking it through the lock.

It works for me.

Bill

I have both holsters as many others before me have posted. I wrestled with the decision on which one to go with. I ended up going with the CR speed for my open pistol as I like the muzzle platform with the longer/heavier pistol.

I like the Ghost holster for my limited gun set up. The Ghost is smaller and easier to use on the low port stages as it doesn't hit your thigh much. I have had ZERO problems with the Ghost holster. Never even came close to dropping the pistol with that holster. It is fast as long as you do your job.

I was talking with a fellow shooter and CRO who told me he has seen more people DQ'd with the CR speed than any other holster. I found that interesting. Many will say the Ghost is "less secure", but who knows...

I'm keeping both holsters and I'm sure I'll be bouncing back n forth over the next few years between the two.

Hope this posts helps more than it does to confuse you.

Oh yeah,,, I never did vote because I own and like both.

Edited by Zerwas

I found that even when the gun was locked I could grab it and pull it out of the holster. Which led me to ask "is the lock really working or isn't it ?"

The nice thing is that I can use it for Limited & Open without making any changes or mods to the holster. Doesn't matter if I'm shooting a 5" gun or a 6" gun. The holster works the same for all similar types of guns. Glocks & 2011's obviously are gonna be different, but you could use any type of Glock (34 or 17) in the same holster with no changes.

+1

I can change guns with my buddys with no changes for the holster as long as the guns are same brand.

Hello: Just because I'm in that kind of mood I vote for the Blade Tech DOH :roflol: It is the most secure and almost as fast for me. Thanks, Eric

There always must be someone that goes against the grain....

and what was asked of them in MY OP :goof::rolleyes: