Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 vs 610

UltraTen

Contemplating getting into revolver division of IDPA.

I'm looking for opinions on which revolver I should start with.

As a long time 10mm/40 fan I was leaning toward the 610. (have lots of ammo)

I've had my eye on a 625 JM, it's basically the same gun but may easier to reload, not sure if that would make a huge difference.

I'm torn on which way to go............

Any Pros/Cons??

PS Wife gave me permission to get a new gun :o I'm going to take advantage of it while I can.

Edited by UltraTen

What Tome E said, also I wouldnt plan on getting a 610 with the intent of shooting .40's in it. Your load could become illegal overnight, heck it could become illegal in the middle of a match with no rule quoted whatsoever. Just ask the .38 colt guys. So with that in mind I figure it would be much better loading 45's than the long 10mm's.

What Tome E said, also I wouldnt plan on getting a 610 with the intent of shooting .40's in it. Your load could become illegal overnight, heck it could become illegal in the middle of a match with no rule quoted whatsoever. Just ask the .38 colt guys. So with that in mind I figure it would be much better loading 45's than the long 10mm's.

How would .40's become illegal? :unsure:

Input .38 colt guys..........

Since you have the 610, shoot it and save the $$$ and spend it on ammo. IF you are very competitive, or competitive natured, get the 625.

The only difference is the 625 has bigger holes to charge and thus makes it a little more quicker on the average. My single fastest reload that I have actually seen on the timer came with a 610 though.

Recoil, weight, feel, are all the same or if they are different at all it is not noticeable.

So, in other words.

Just do what you want to do. :cheers:

A good point was made earlier about whether IDPA would allow .40S&W to be shot out of a 10mm revolver. They might, then again in other divisions I'm not sure if that is allowed. I still voted for the 610 as I want one and the last time I shot one was at a USPSA match that had a short barreled 610 or a J frame Smith to shoot in a course of fire. I do have a 625 that I use for IDPA ESR division for the same reasons mentioned.

I voted for 625, but since you reload 10mm/.40 that might tip the scales for you.

I eschew both calibers myself and shoot .45 Colt in my Ruger Alaskan in IDPA and USPSA. I reload primarily for .45 Colt (and the related calibers: .45 Schofield, .454 Casull, and .460 S&W), so I chose a path different than most. I enjoy and have fun competing with my choice, so my suggestion to you is to choose whichever you will enjoy the most.

Just be advised that any given Sunday a match director can declare your ammo illegal if the brass isnt the same that's marked on the gun. Now you can pooh pooh all you want but the bottom line is it has happened, will continue to happen, and has the blessing of HQ. Currently I have only heard of it being enforced with 38's but with the ruling from HQ there is nothing preventing a match director from picking up a moonclip full of .40 S&W brass that he just saw come out of a 610 and giving the shooter a FTDR.

Just be advised that any given Sunday a match director can declare your ammo illegal if the brass isnt the same that's marked on the gun. Now you can pooh pooh all you want but the bottom line is it has happened, will continue to happen, and has the blessing of HQ. Currently I have only heard of it being enforced with 38's but with the ruling from HQ there is nothing preventing a match director from picking up a moonclip full of .40 S&W brass that he just saw come out of a 610 and giving the shooter a FTDR.

If you have a MD like that then get some 10mm brass, you'll get it all back.

The one idpa match i shot i was dinged for a penelty for dumping a empty moonclip.

It was explained to me that i didnt have a slide to lock back on my revolver so i had to retain all my moons .

ex idpa member

Steve

The one idpa match i shot i was dinged for a penelty for dumping a empty moonclip.

It was explained to me that i didnt have a slide to lock back on my revolver so i had to retain all my moons .

ex idpa member

Steve

Huh? No IDPA match I've ever been to, local or otherwise, has ever made anyone retain empty moons.

Voted 610 by the way.

Edited by rr4406pak

I think it's a wash , but since you load for .40 cal already that would probably be the deciding factor. I have a couple of each (2-625's and 2-610's) and as was stated earlier the 625's might be a touch faster to load but the 610's don't give away much. Get one of each and compare. :roflol: Anyway just my opinion. :)

Scott

ex idpa member

Steve

:D

I voted 625 for ultimate competitive edge and wider bullet selection, but if your already set up for .40 then I wuold get the 610 and not look back. 10mm would be fun for long range shooting.

I guess I havent shot IDPA for about 4 yrs, but if a MD gave a FTDR for shooting .40 even if they made PF I would have to walk away clean. If that is the case, then every .45 ACP will make about 200 PF or be DQ'd, since that what ball ammo will make and what was intended. :surprise: Just my opinion.

Jon

I have shot both the S&W 610 and 625 with Ranch Products moonclips. In my bopinion the 625 provides a slight edge on speedier reloads than the 610. Those 45 ACP rounds with 230 gr RN bulets almost jump into to big holes in the cylinder. In terms of actual results I don't believe that I shoot the 625 any better than my 610.

Contemplating getting into revolver division of IDPA.

I'm looking for opinions on which revolver I should start with.

As a long time 10mm/40 fan I was leaning toward the 610. (have lots of ammo)

I've had my eye on a 625 JM, it's basically the same gun but may easier to reload, not sure if that would make a huge difference.

I'm torn on which way to go............

Any Pros/Cons??

PS Wife gave me permission to get a new gun :o I'm going to take advantage of it while I can.

ex idpa member

Steve

I've never heard of that until now. :wacko:

Doesn't even make ant sense.

I don't shoot revolver yet, but alot of the guys I shoot with do, and I've never heard of that.

Too bad IDPA lost a shooter over this. :sick:

So your saying that if im shooting my Smith 686 and using 38cal spl out it that the MD can declare your ammo illegal :rolleyes: