Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Premium 1911

atlscrog

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

buying an "off the rack" 1911, hmmm... if nighthawk is still living up to the standards set when i bought mine a couple of years ago i would consider them. i an curious about a volkmann though...

I've owned them all and my preferance is Rock River, but you'd have to find one as they quit building 1911's. My second choice would be a Baer TRS. It's a Chevy, Ford, Chrysler thing in my opinion. I guess it would also depend on how it was to be used. Carry, competition, range, etc. Allot of variables to think about. You could buy a Baer and have enough left for extra mags, holster, mag pouch's and a few cases of ammo.

I'd go with a Baer PII 1.5" guarantee, 25 or more magazines, and still have a bunch of money left over for ammo, holster, belt, mag holders, etc. You can buy a fancier gun than the PII but you can't buy more gun. IMO the Wilson and Nighthawk guns are WAY overpriced for what you get. Rock River were amazing when you could get them, as good as a Baer and extremely well finished cosmetically for another thousand or so.

For that kind of money, you could just about buy 2 Baers--you really should have a back up gun anyway. If you show up to a match with only one 1911, you're going to end up watching sooner or later.

Funny, I have NEVER had to watch

insert Zh knocking on wood icon

• 1 month later...

If I were in your position, I'd have a custom gun built like I want it by the gunsmith of my choosing. For me, it'd be Rich at Canyon Creek, may be someone else for you.

linky

Just look at the serrations on the rear of the slide on the bottom left picture. Gorgeous, but totally functional. BTW, Rich had that particular blaster listed on GunBroker for less than $2500.

Edited by Glockopop

If I were in your position, I'd have a custom gun built like I want it by the gunsmith of my choosing. For me, it'd be Rich at Canyon Creek, may be someone else for you.

linky

Just look at the serrations on the rear of the slide on the bottom left picture. Gorgeous, but totally functional. BTW, Rich had that particular blaster listed on GunBroker for less than $2500.

Amen on the full custom! I have an Ed Brown that was the sweetest gun I'd ever owned.....until I bought a full custom limited gun.

I'm now saving my pennies for a custom 1911, at which point, I'll return the Brown to the bedside stand and the backup slot in t herange bag. But if you're bound and determined to go semi-custom, I'd say its a tossup between Baer and Brown.

I got my Wison CQB when they were running about 1800. Solid, smoothe and tightly fitted. I am not sure about the guns being produced today. I heard Vic Tibbetts returned to Wilson, so I suspect, the quality is up again.

JS

Edited by 1911jerry

I got my Wison CQB when they were running about 1800. Solid, smoothe and tighly fitted. I am not sure about the guns being produced today. I heard Vic Tibbetts returned to Wilson, so I suspect, the quality is up again.

JS

I won't sell my CQB.

But, a LB or EB either would be a possible addition to my safe...or even a Dan Wesson...

I'm also happy with my STI Trojan...FWIW