Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Texas Stars... where to get good quality.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MGM targets

A dealer here on the forum.

Lifetime no BS warranty.

Link to website

I love MGM's products and their customer service, but their plate mounting system on their star is far inferior to the original. I have seen case after case of "range failure" (plates falling when they're not supposed to) with the MGM star. That does not happen with the original. I've shot the original in dozens of matches and have never experienced a range failure situation.

Accept nothing less than the original by Terry and Linda Ashton of San Angelo, Texas.

Texasstartarget@yahoo.com

I have thousands upon thousands of rounds on our club's MGM star. it has worked flawlessly. If a retaining spring breaks, simple repair from the hardware store.

That's good for you. My experience with a brand new one from MGM in just a handful of matches is that one plate can knock another off and plates will fall if the round strikes the arm instead of a plate. That simply never happens with the original made by Terry Ashton.

Edited by Steve J

While I think MGM is about the best there is in most all they do, the original Texas Star is superior. I have shot both at many a match and while generally both work and work well, I have seen more failures with the MGM than with the original.

Only an opinion and I can assure you I will be buying from MGM again and probably soon.

Jim

While I think MGM is about the best there is in most all they do, the original Texas Star is superior. I have shot both at many a match and while generally both work and work well, I have seen more failures with the MGM than with the original.

Only an opinion and I can assure you I will be buying from MGM again and probably soon.

Jim

I agree completely and I own both of them!

• 2 months later...

Old thread, but I am seeing way too many range failures with the MGM. In particular, plates not falling out at the 12:00 position when the star is static and just the opposite problem of plates coming loose. There is no sense in arguing about the problem because it is very real. I hope MGM does a redesign.

The issue there (on the local one) is spring bind, I believe.

The spring that puts pressure on the plate is held on by a bolt that goes through it's center and sandwiches the spring between two tabs. The spring is too wide (or the distance between the tabs is too narrow). The spring is bound...and lacks the ability to apply it's pressure to the plate.

• 1 year later...

I want to revise my post from last year.

Our local club has two of the MGM stars. We, worked all last year to get one of them to run right. New parts (MGM was great to work with), balancing/leveling/etc.. In the end, we just could really trust it to work well. We had to pull it as a prop from our state match last fall.

This spring, another Ohio club ran a large'ish match with one of the MGM stars (I was Range Master). I found out a bit too late that there was trouble with this one too. Being the Range Master for that match, I don't feel we gave all the shooters a fair shake.

Old thread, but I am seeing way too many range failures with the MGM. In particular, plates not falling out at the 12:00 position when the star is static and just the opposite problem of plates coming loose. There is no sense in arguing about the problem because it is very real. I hope MGM does a redesign.

That is the ongoing issue we see too.

Accept nothing less than the original by Terry and Linda Ashton of San Angelo, Texas.

Texasstartarget@yahoo.com

If I were spending my money on a star, that is where I'd spend it.

The only star I have seen before this years VA/MD sectional was the MGM design, My opinion was they should never be used at a sanctioned match. To date I had never seen them scored properly, and this includes the 2009 Nationals. In an effort to move the match the RO's either never start or stop issuing the REF's. I cant believe these things are allowed I'd be surprised if they dont fail 30% of the time, either the steel doesnt fall if not hit square or the steel does fall when an arm or another plate is hit. Both should be reshoots,

Then I was tasked to RO a stage at the VA/MD with a texas star, but this one had two holes in the plates and pins on the arms in addition to a triggered spring, Not sure the brand but this one worked all day, I only gave one reshoot on it and it was an odd fluke REF, So have to reasses my opinion, With the pin style brand they work fine,

The only star I have seen before this years VA/MD sectional was the MGM design, My opinion was they should never be used at a sanctioned match. To date I had never seen them scored properly, and this includes the 2009 Nationals. In an effort to move the match the RO's either never start or stop issuing the REF's. I cant believe these things are allowed I'd be surprised if they dont fail 30% of the time, either the steel doesnt fall if not hit square or the steel does fall when an arm or another plate is hit. Both should be reshoots,

Then I was tasked to RO a stage at the VA/MD with a texas star, but this one had two holes in the plates and pins on the arms in addition to a triggered spring, Not sure the brand but this one worked all day, I only gave one reshoot on it and it was an odd fluke REF, So have to reasses my opinion, With the pin style brand they work fine,

Sounds like the one that Terry makes (referred to above).

This is the info we have from several years ago, we got two from him. Don't know if anything has changed.

THE ORIGINAL TEXAS STAR $400.00

WHICH INCLUDES: 6 ARMS, 6 PLATES OF AR 400 STEEL, EXTRA SPRING/BOLT KIT

PLUS CRATING & SHIPPING, CRATING CHARGE $50.00, UPS WOOD CRATE CHARGE $5.00

SHIPPING DEPENDS ON AREA TO BE SHIPPED

$290.00 IF YOU WOULD LIKE MILD STEEL PLATES AND NO EXTRA PARTS

FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL TERRY ASHTON (325)655-2809

e-mail: texasstartarget@yahoo.com

post-6812-127566135368_thumb.jpg

post-6812-12756614297_thumb.jpg

I'll add a +1 to the opinions stated above on the MGM star and the Terry Ashton star. 

Our club's board insisted we let them do the actual ordering. We asked for Terry's star. They got us two MGMs. They never leave the trailer.  MGM are great, but their stars are not. 

• 1 month later...

Our Club also has two Stars, one by Terry and the newer one by MGM. We experienced the same problems with the MGM model, i.e., plates fall from vibration and movement. Two weeks ago at the ProAm steel match in Tulsa, one of our Directors was working as an RO, and talked to Mike Gibson about the problems. The next day, Mike made a detour of several hundred miles to come to Fort Smith and go with me to our Range to look at the Star.

Mike's explanation, and demonstration, showed that the MGM Star is sensitive to being set up in such a way as to be out of vertical, especially from front to back. By leaning the Star slightly front or back, Mike was able to duplicate the problems we experienced with the equipment during matches. As additional help, Mike called his factory and had them ship a new set of springs, free of charge.

Let me add that we have not had an opportunity to put Mike's explanation to the test. It will take a little planning to find a good, flat spot to set up the MGM Star for our next match. I would also note that we have not had the same "out of vertical" problems with Terry's Star. As noted by earlier posts, the 400 grade steel (Terry's) vs. the 500 grade steel (MGM) is certainly an issue.

All things being equal, you can't find customer service like MGM's anywhere else in the market. Mike literally went out of his way to make things right with his product. As long as I am Director of Practical Pistol here (and it looks like that may be a long time), you'd be hard pressed to get me to buy poppers from anyone other than MGM.

By passing along Mike's demo, I hope this might help some other Club.

Pump Daddy, the guy with the 870 at the Multi Gun match.

• 1 month later...

This is the info we have from several years ago, we got two from him. Don't know if anything has changed.

THE ORIGINAL TEXAS STAR $400.00

WHICH INCLUDES: 6 ARMS, 6 PLATES OF AR 400 STEEL, EXTRA SPRING/BOLT KIT

PLUS CRATING & SHIPPING, CRATING CHARGE $50.00, UPS WOOD CRATE CHARGE $5.00

SHIPPING DEPENDS ON AREA TO BE SHIPPED

$290.00 IF YOU WOULD LIKE MILD STEEL PLATES AND NO EXTRA PARTS

FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL TERRY ASHTON (325)655-2809

e-mail: texasstartarget@yahoo.com

These prices are real time:

Option 1 is $650- this givew you a spare arm and maybe a spare target and spare parts kit

Option 2 is $575- Spare parts kit only (springs, bolts etc.)

Shipping: $200

Mike's explanation, and demonstration, showed that the MGM Star is sensitive to being set up in such a way as to be out of vertical, especially from front to back. By leaning the Star slightly front or back, Mike was able to duplicate the problems we experienced with the equipment during matches. As additional help, Mike called his factory and had them ship a new set of springs, free of charge.

We've done all of that. Still, no joy.

The last match, we even set it up with vision barriers covering the top plates...in a hope that shooting the bottom plates off first might help matters. No such luck. On the squad I was on, we had two shooter that got a half-dozen attempts between them on that star stage...due to the reshoots.

Great customer service though.

We just bought a terry Ashton start for my home club. Gonna use it this weekend. I've only seen one malfunction on one and it was due to a broken spring that took less than a minute to repair once we got the toolbox out.

I have two stars--one by Terry-one by MGM--I did not like the base on one-so I cut it off and built it just like the other one--as for the star they both work great--I set them both side by side ,and some time put a bunjie cord on them to make them turn--I have never had any problem with either on of them,and they get shot a lot--

• 1 year later...

UPDATE: Just talked with Terry Ashton on the phone yesterday...he is retired from manufacturing any new stars. He will continue to support maintenance on existing stars and teamed with MGM for target head replacement.