Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Texas Stars... where to get good quality.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

just got a new set of plates for the original Texas Star from MGM. They look great and MGM was great to deal with. You have to call to order & a couple of weeks later there you go.

Refurbished Star @ North Mountain in November!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, Terry Ashton the designer of the original TEXAS STAR has decided to allow GT TARGETS to continue making the STAR in its original design configuration. GT will keep making the STAR exactly the same way that Terry has been making them, we will not change a single thing on the target. GT is in the process of duplicating Terry's fixtures & patterns so we can make the target an exact copy. We should have the targets ready for sale early next year for the '12 shooting season. GT will have spare targets & hardware kits available asap. GT has the pattern for targets at the laser cutter now and the first targets should be here soon.

The STAR will be added to the GT dealer page on this site and the www.gttargets.com site and I will try to post updates on the STAR to keep everyone up to date.

thanks to Terry for teaming up with GT, thanks, Karl @ GT

Hello, Terry Ashton the designer of the original TEXAS STAR has decided to allow GT TARGETS to continue making the STAR in its original design configuration. GT will keep making the STAR exactly the same way that Terry has been making them, we will not change a single thing on the target. GT is in the process of duplicating Terry's fixtures & patterns so we can make the target an exact copy. We should have the targets ready for sale early next year for the '12 shooting season. GT will have spare targets & hardware kits available asap. GT has the pattern for targets at the laser cutter now and the first targets should be here soon.

The STAR will be added to the GT dealer page on this site and the www.gttargets.com site and I will try to post updates on the STAR to keep everyone up to date.

what price point are you looking at.

That's great news. Now If someone would design a polish plate rack that uses the same plate attachment design, thatd be awesome.

Hey, We hope to keep everything the same including the price. If steel prices shoot up that may cause changes but until we get rolling nothing will change. Terry is sending a bunch of parts & details on the fixtures needed so we can get ready to produce the TEXAS STAR.

No worries Steve, give us a call the next time.

Regards, Karl @ GT

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. I didn't think this post was still going. I bought a MGM star. There were some issues rigth away with the legs as well as the springs for the plates. We ended up making our own legs and MGM replaced the springs. We still have spring issues though. We are going to try to play with the spring tesion by adding something to compress them a little extra. It seems that the tension isn't quite right. After reading all of the posts about the MGM design it looks like everyone has the same problems. If we get a solution that is a winner I will post it for everyone when it is done.

What is the problem you are having? Is it with all of the plates or could it be on just one arm?

I don't know about the OP, and we haven't had a chance to shoot our new MGM yet, but the one that CTIDPA has was prone to plates falling off without being hit by either bullet strikes to the arm or by being hit by another falling plate. In seven years of shooting Terry Ashton's twice monthly with pistol and shotgun, I've never had a hint of a problem, although it is showing definite signs of wear I just recently replaced the springs after 7 years. Three or four matches at CTIDPA made me vary wary of MGM's design. The springs definitely need to be stronger.

• 1 year later...

I rarely have plates fall off my MGM withoit being hit. The main problem I have is the top plate, when hit good and center, will lean back and then return to its original position. I realized quite early on mine the need to set it up perfectly vertically

This thread is older than my kid, really. Gman, that is why folks like the original design, the arms that hold the plate are an over center latch. Much less prone to not work correctly.

Although this is one I made, I copied the original exactly, at least down to the stand. You can just make out the latch at the top of the photo.

funstar2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

MGM changed the design of their plates so they work much better. Our new one works perfectly so we are modifying the plates on the old one to match.

I have one of the new design from MGM with the corners of the paddles cut off to different angles. It makes the plates one directional, and they are very unstable in their receptical. That makes the spring tension even more important, but they still have the same weak springs that wear out in no time. Soon you'll be having plates fall without being hit.

Nothing against MGM because I like them but their star needs a redesign. If you want to have a boatload of re-shoots at a match, that star will be the one to get. The original star works pretty darn flawless. We got so frustrated with the MGM star that we just put it in the shed for good, and then our club president accidentally torched the place. New star on the way.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wish I had the money to get one for personal use.

I have one for myself...they are just so damned much fun when you get it right. Most clubs around here have the TEXAS Star design from Terry or from GT Targets. They are simple and run with few problems with centerfire or rimfire plates.

• 1 year later...