Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help a new guy.

turnandshoot4

Hey everybody. I have been abusing the search function all morning and I couldn't come up with my answer. I am BRAND NEW to the whole competition shooting world and I'd like to get into it this summer. I'll have about $1500 to spend on pistol/gear. I have been watching the EAA limited's and gold team custom's but gunbroker hasn't been kind. I wouldn't mind getting 2 pistols to compete in different classes as well.

So anyway, here is what I have:

Glock 21C

Glock 23C

Sig 226 9mm

Sig 220 Sport

Sig X-5 SA

Hey everybody. I am BRAND NEW to the whole competition shooting world and I'd like to get into it this summer.

First, WELCOME! :cheers:

IMHO, you should first attend a few shoots. You can see what equipment that they are using. $1500.00 will go far, IF you don't buy something that is not right for you.

Check out http://www.uspsa.org/ and http://www.idpa.com/. Both will list shoots in your area.

You have the time to do this.

Good Luck,

A.T.

Do not get a C Glock of any kind for this game, X-5 doesn't really fit anything.

Until you find out if you like the game why not stay simple and not expensive.

Get a Production gun of some sort, a 9mm.

That basically boils down to a Glock 17 or 34, CZ-75B or SP-01, Springfiled XD 5", or S&W M&P 5". Those are the most used in the Division.

Get A gun. Learn how to shoot. Run 9mm, and don't let equipment lust convince you that having more will make you better. Spend money on ammo and matches.

Thanks for the replies!!

I only target shoot right now. I will be going to either the Michigan City matches or Chesterton. I was refered here from Rhino (I don't know if he is still an active member here) from indianagunowners because no one knew anything about the pistol's I was asking about (EAA Limited, gold team custom, etc. etc.)

Is there any benefit to shooting .40 over 9mm? Will my sig 226 in 9mm be sufficent for production class?

I don't know what class I want to shoot yet, as I haven't been to a match yet. I plan to start in the summer and go to a few meetings and watch a few matches before then.

Edited by turnandshoot4

Rhino can give you some good advice. He has been known to harbor an opinion or two. :rolleyes: He doesn't come around here much anymore. (You will have to ask him ;) ) I personally don't feel there is an advantage to .40 in production DIVISION since all calibers are scored minor. (Go read about major and minor scoring in the USPSA rulebook). I think your 9mm Sig would be a good place to start in production DIVISION.

Try and make contact with some local shooters, if possible and check out some gear and matches. (isn't there some indoor stuff going on there?) Ask Rhino.

As for the EAA stuff, go visit the EAA/Tanfo dealer forum here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=159

Later,

Chuck

ETA: welcome to the forum and the sport. Say hi to Rhino...

Edited by ChuckS

Welcome turnandshoot4 !

Having just started a year ago, I would suggest you see if you can't round up a holster (beg/borrow/buy/steal) for your existing 226, get a belt and mag pouches (you can reuse those) and go shoot a couple matches and get your feet wet. I started with a Beretta 92 that I already had and did it like that, and it works out well. You'll be talking to people and learning a lot. Most will even offer to let you shoot their gun a few rounds after the match, then see what you want to do. You can check out all the divisions and pick up a lot in just a couple matches. I ended up with an M&P and that wasn't even on my list of candidates before I went and shot a couple matches.

JimInFL

PS - Just occurred to me - I think the 226 is on the approved list - I didn't go check.

If you don't know what division you want to shoot hold your money for awhile and take time to know what sport and division you want to shoot. Go to your local gun club and get involve shooting sport that you are interested in and shoot with your current guns. You will see what equipment other shooters use when you are around matches. Then you get idea what you really need not just want. B)

use the sig 226 for production and if the x-5 is a .40 you have a pistol to use in L-10. if the x-5 is in 9mm you can still shoot L-10 but be at a disadvantage shooting minor vs major. use what you have until you are sure the sport is for you.

With $1500 for a budget, I'd get a Glock 35, about 5 extra hi-cap mags, about 3 Arredondo extended basepads, a bladetech Dropped Offset Holster and double mag pouch, plus 1-2 CR Speed VersaPouches, a Dillon reloading press (probably a Square Deal B), and assorted reloading supplies. You would probably still have some cash left over.

With this, you'd have a set-up that was competitive in USPSA Production, USPSA Limited 10, USPSA Limited, and IDPA SSP. (the Dropped Offset can be converted to a non-dropped offset, or you can buy an extra belt hanger)

Hey everybody. I have been abusing the search function all morning and I couldn't come up with my answer. I am BRAND NEW to the whole competition shooting world and I'd like to get into it this summer. I'll have about $1500 to spend on pistol/gear. I have been watching the EAA limited's and gold team custom's but gunbroker hasn't been kind. I wouldn't mind getting 2 pistols to compete in different classes as well.

Glock 21C

Glock 23C

Sig 226 9mm

Sig 220 Sport

Sig X-5 SA

Not to toot my own thread, but I think this might be helpful:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=913533

Looking at what you've got, the Sig 226 would be fine for getting started in Production division and may be all you ever need. There are more folks shooting Glocks, M&Ps and Springer XD's than anything else in Production, but there are always a few Sigs, H&Ks, CZs etc.

Should you decide to buy a new gun, you have a few decisions to make. If you don't reload, 9mm is probably the best choice since everything is scored minor in Production. If you do reload it's possible to get a .40 to be slightly softer than a 9 at a similar power factor, but it's not really a significant advantage at all. The other option is Atlanta Arms and Ammo makes an excellent minor .40 load that is competitively priced and extremly consistent.

So why might you decide to buy something like a Glock 35 or M&P 40 rather than a 9? Because with a little bit of equipment change you can shoot Limited and Limited-10 effectively....for Lim get some mag extensions, maybe a magwell and shoot Major ammo in it and you're set. For L-10 maybe a magwell and shoot Major ammo and you're set. Shooting Minor in either of those Divisions is swimming against the current and not worth the trouble.

Shoot a gun that you have now. The Sig in production. you have plenty of time to decide what you want. Go to some matches, talk to others in your squad, Most everyone will be happy to show off thier guns and some will let you try them. The gun you get will determin which division you shoot in

If money burns in your pocket just buy some ammo and shoot it with your current guns. You will enjoy for it and you will be a better shooter. :cheers:

There always will be a gun that we will desire even we have safety full of guns belive me. I know for sure. :roflol:

If money burns in your pocket just buy some ammo and shoot it with your current guns. You will enjoy for it and you will be a better shooter.

+1

If you are planning on loading your own ammo then a .40 is a good choice as you can shoot .40 minor in production an .40 major in limited. Most Glock .40 or similar will shoot out of the box in IDPA and USPSA production and limited as long as it is not compensated.

But, if you already have a 9mm you are comfortable with, shoot it for at least your first year. Don't get into the hardware race and start throwing money at it until you know what you want.

Wow great info! Ok, here is the plan so far.

Start going to matches immediately. Shoot my 226 for a few matches. I'm going to try to get my X-5 converted to .40. Good idea? I found another member on here who did the same thing via the search function. Get set up for reloading on a dillon. Should I go with the 650 or 550? Buy lots of mags and a few holsters. I have a fobus for my Sig and a Bladetech for my X-5.

Thanks for the advice!

Does anyone have any reviews on the EAA's? I haven't even SEEN one in person before.

Start going to matches immediately. Shoot my 226 for a few matches. I'm going to try to get my X-5 converted to .40. Good idea? I found another member on here who did the same thing via the search function. Get set up for reloading on a dillon. Should I go with the 650 or 550? Buy lots of mags and a few holsters. I have a fobus for my Sig and a Bladetech for my X-5.

Thanks for the advice!

Does anyone have any reviews on the EAA's? I haven't even SEEN one in person before.

650 all day and twice on sunday.

I'd suggest that for now you invest in good reloading equipment. The best place to buy is Brian's store (just click on the forum's top banner). He has a great section on Dillon FAQ's HERE that will help you decide which machine is right for you.

As it has been said already, your Sig 226 is a good gun for Production DIVISION. A class is where you as shooter will be classified after recording your first four classifier scores, in USPSA that is. Your X5 in 40 is a good Limited 10 pistol. Shoot what you have, get proficient and then, after having tried different guns and learned about gear, go after additional equipment is necessary.

In the Forum Dealers section you'll find Henning Walgren's store. He's the authority in EAA/Tanfoglio pistols. I have a Witness Limited that works great.

Good luck and welcome to the forum and the sport!

B)

Thanks for the advice!

Good idea!

I won our state matches in production division with a Sig 226 in 2000, and 2001, then, I thought I could do better with a Glock, but... :surprise:

I'll have about $1500 to spend on pistol/gear. I have been watching the EAA limited's and gold team custom's but gunbroker hasn't been kind. I wouldn't mind getting 2 pistols to compete in different classes as well.

Glock 21C

Glock 23C

Sig 226 9mm

Sig 220 Sport

Sig X-5 SA

Go to BladeTec get a $30 5.11 tactical holster for you 226 and a double mag pouch holder (I forget the price). Got to Wilderness Tactical. Get a $40 belt with the CSM option. Get at least 4 total magazines for your Sig. Run the 226 for at least a year. Spend the rest of your money at

http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.html

That will get you started. Figure the rest out in a year.

Do not get a C Glock of any kind for this game, X-5 doesn't really fit anything.

Until you find out if you like the game why not stay simple and not expensive.

Get a Production gun of some sort, a 9mm.

That basically boils down to a Glock 17 or 34, CZ-75B or SP-01, Springfiled XD 5", or S&W M&P 5". Those are the most used in the Division.

Get A gun. Learn how to shoot. Run 9mm, and don't let equipment lust convince you that having more will make you better. Spend money on ammo and matches.

Good advice! And I will add a hearty welcome to the best sport you'll ever be involved in. Have fun!!!!