Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poor choices and the consequences

gino_aki

Can't blame nobody but myself...the going was good for so long, it could never go bad, right? My house's price kept inflating, we were going gangbusters at work...so much that I could start a business to supply my company with extra equipment they needed...we were so frickin' busy. Of course you're SUPPOSED to squirrel most of that largesse away for the coming rainy day, but hey the country's in great shape even though there are some clouds on the horizon. We'll weather it and keep on truckin'. Yeah I've already got way more guns than I could ever shoot at one time, and the kids are needing a car to get them to their after school jobs, and that F-350 can be the service vehicle for the Cat dump. Gotta HAVE 'em.

Whew, did it ever come crashing down. Don't get me started on the bad investments. Or the losses on even the "good" investments cuz I THOUGHT I knew what I was doing.

The upshot of the whole thing is I'm back at a very familiar place, staring into the safe wondering which ones will fetch the quickest sales at fire sale prices. And knowing that whatever they bring it won't be enough to keep the house and maybe not even the vehicles. Jeez. I keep putting myself into this predicament and you'd think I'd learn.

Well, prolly gotta go get the camera and start taking pics so I can post 'em in the classifieds. Gonna end up like before, with the SS, maybe the 6 in Para I built, and the Super X Model 1. Hopefully keep the Mini and the 10/22 this time. Crap, I HATE doing this, and this is like the fourth time I've had to unload the guns.

:angry2: :angry2: :angry2: ...at myself.

Pick out one or two guns and say "these have sentimental value to me for X reason" - then never sell those. Everything else, think of as deposits in a bank.... they come and go, sell as needed. Probably a better return right now on hoarding guns than the markets anyway.

I have a .22 rifle that was my grandfather's, a Glock 19 I took to Desert Storm with me (this was pre-Beretta, the A.F. issued .38s sucked), and a well used Kimber .45 Classic Custom I bought for $500 that was hand built in the first couple months they started out, still tight as the day I bought it, now its just smoother. These mean something to me. (of course I regret selling a few other things over the years... but out of what I have left, this is it.)

Everything else is like bearer bonds and CDs, if I have to sell them for cash, oh well, I can replace them later (well, hopefully I can).

+1 to all ahead of me so far bro.

I feel sorry for you and other small businesses. Feel even sorrier when I see the head of Citigroup took 1 million dollars of the relief money and renovated his office with it.

Nice.

Guys like you could have put that money to good use but its renovating that turds office....grrrrrrr

I too have a few weapons I will not sell for any reason.

My service revolver(S&W 64-10 .38) I purchased when we converted to Glock 19s, the S&W .38 I won being top gun in my academy class, my current Glock 17 which I'm hoping they will still honor past tradition and the gun issued to you when you retire is yours to keep but not holdng my breath on this one.

If we get the commemorative weapon going through Kimber we're trying to then the Kimber will be "un-sellable" also.

Don't you have some small children you can maybe sell first? : )

JK

I understand what happened to you.

It is an all too familiar story.

Bad choices?

You are not one of the ministers of finance that made a fortune packaging subprime mortgages into bad investments.

It was not your greed that took down the whole banking system and the stock market.

The government has thrown $750,000,000,000 at them to get them to start acting like banks again.

In the mean time the rest of us have to sell our guns to buy groceries.

True, maybe you could have saved more, but that wasn't what "done you in".

Let go of the guilt.

It's not your fault.

Tony

Edited by 38superman

As Dave Ramsey says, 'I have paid stupid tax with zeros on the end.' Trust me, you are not the only one.

We all have made mistakes, tomorrow is another day. Nine people at my office lost their jobs today. I was one of the lucky ones that got to keep mine (for now). You will get through this.

Edited by TM262

I am hustling more and making less than I ever have. The downsized economy or whatever you want to call it has me building furniture/cabinets, welding, electrical, and whatever odds and ends people will pay me for.

Keep beating the bushes, you'll find something. Remember there is money to be made in this economy. I've been cleaning out repossessed homes on the side for $800-$1000 a pop when I can get it. If you got a trailer, start hitting up the banks and mortgage brokers for this type of work. It's hard, but it pays quick. Sometimes they let you keep what you want sell it

on Craig's list and double dip your enterprise. Just some ideas, hope they help.

I hope you can liquidate and downsize enough to keep shooting a little. Shoot, just dryfire like a bandit and make as many matches as you can. When things get better, you will be ready to rock!

Sometimes good choices in one situation turn out to be poor choices when the situation changes. You can't really make choices based on a future that can always change.

If I made every decision like I was waiting for a disaster I'd have never bought a house, never had a kid, never taken a day off...

I think the current financial situation is pretty rare and pretty extreme, I wouldn't beat yourself up too much over it. Plenty of people that get paid enormous amounts of money to be able to predict stuff like this were all wrong too.

Sorry to hear it. Hang in there and things will change. We all can learn from OUR mistakes.

Bad choices?

You are not one of the ministers of finance that made a fortune packaging subprime mortgages into bad investments.

It was not your greed that took down the whole banking system and the stock market.

The government has thrown $750,000,000,000 at them to get them to start acting like banks again.

Let go of the guilt.

It's not your fault.

Tony

Maybe if WE all take responsibility for our own part in this crisis things will improve. It is always easier to blame someone else.

Sorry to hear it. Hang in there and things will change. We all can learn from OUR mistakes.

Maybe if WE all take responsibility for our own part in this crisis things will improve. It is always easier to blame someone else.

+1

Sorry for the tough situation, hope things turn around.

I admire your attitude, too much whiney "bail me out" people out there these days.

Hang in there. I'm right there with you brother. I'm a sales mgr. for a new home builder on 100% commission. I had an 11 year great run and thought it would always be that way. I got into what my Dad would have called a "Chicken today, feathers tomorrow, let the good times roll" mentality. :roflol:

It didn't last forever and I've had to really trim the overhead. Big lessons learned.

It'll come back again and we'll be the smarter for it the next time around.

Edited by baerburtchell

Man, that bites.

Hang tough, like the others said, you've pulled through before, you will again.

I'll be in Maui come July. I'll try to bring the black plastic and shoot w/ you guys. Look forward to seeing you, and the first round is on me.

Kevin

I too feel your pain. It's been a horrible year financially. I lost every penny I had earned in investments + some of my own money.

Since I'm retired I won't be making it back for a long time unless the economy turns around.

Getting rid of the guns is more important to keeping the family going so just remember you can always replace them when things get better.

Good luck. I'll be praying for you.

Bad choices?

Let go of the guilt.

It's not your fault.

Tony

Okay,

Gino maybe Larry is right.

This whole global recession thing happened because you bought that F350.

Don't let it happen again.

If I agree to take some responsibility do you think maybe I could have my job back?

Edited by 38superman

I'm in a postition where I trying to sell a pistol that has some sentimental value to me because I have another pistol coming in. I did not believe how poor the economy would be during the year it took to have this other pistol built. Good luck you.

Bad choices?

Let go of the guilt.

It's not your fault.

Tony

Okay,

Gino maybe Larry is right.

This whole global recession thing happened because you bought that F350.

Don't let it happen again.

If I agree to take some responsibility do you think maybe I could have my job back?

Hey Tony,

YOU hang in there too, bro, I'm pretty sure Larry wasn't referring to any of the BEnos brethren. We will weather this storm, and be stronger for it.

Gino

Edited by gino_aki