Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range bag as checked luggage?

To AZ my guns and ammo go in the suitcase. The only other piece of luggage I'll bring is my range bag. I'm thinking of taking it carry-on. If my suitcase does not show up at least I'll still have my rig, bag and mags... MAGS? :huh:

Is the TSA gonna give me a hard time because of unloaded magazines? :unsure: Should I just save myself the hassle and check the range bag as well? :angry:

Mags are a no-no Nelson. They won't let you carry them on even empty. You'll need to check them. They also frown on many of the items in a typical range bag. I suggest you check it as well. I put it in another suitcase like I did my pistol case.

Ammo is limited to 11 pounds per passenger.

Edited by XD Niner

Nemo, I think it is worse. From the TSA Advisory

Federal regulations administered by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) prohibit the carriage of firearms and guns, as well as parts of firearms and guns (such as magazines or clips, bolts, firing pins, and other components), in the traveler’s possession or in carry-on luggage on commercial aircraft.

And

All declared firearms must be unloaded and transported in a locked hard-sided container. While some firearm “parts” are not within the broad definition of the term “firearm,” travelers are advised to place all firearm parts in a locked hard-sided container to avoid violations.

I read that to mean that you also have to put the mags in a "locked hard-sided container"

And as XD mentioned, messenger slaying is a no-go...

Well all that said, as you're flying from JAX to PHX, my guess is that you're flying SWA. Here's what I do for pistol matches:

Bag #1: Sports gear type bag - Clothes, ammo and maybe mags

Bag #2: Rectangular rolling duffle - Range bag, cleats, pistol (in locked case) and belt/holster/mag pouches

Done.

The "Rectangular rolling duffle" can be bought at Target for like $40. Has wheels and is the perfect size of a Shooters Connection bag, plus a pair of size 12.5 Nike Sharks. In the end, I always lean to traveling light which means what I carry on the plane is little (a backpack that's practically empty) or nothing. In the backpack is a light sweatshirt and usually a copy of Front Sight for some in flight reading, and my MP3 player & cell phone. You don't need to carry anything on the plane other than your wallet after all.

K.I.S.S. is your friend, mi amigo!

Rich

I was flying to some dang place or another and watched when TSA found a magazine in a traveler's carry-on. It was not a good day for the young man. One other word of advice is if you go directly to the airport from the match be triple sure you don't have a loose round in a pants pocket. I found one that must have come out of my Barney mag as I was literally just about to walk through the metal detector. I don't think that mistake would have been met with a smile and a chuckle by the TSA folks.

My experience for Intl and US internal flights.

AMMO, IATA regulations say they have to allow you up to 11lbs (5kg), if the Airline wishes, they can let you take more. We have shipped much more by Airfreight in the past so it is safe, they just found a way to charge extra.

I use my range bag as carry on containing nothing that will trip the bells. The small CED and the Dillon meet the size requirements. The Shooters Connection will raise eyebrows and 75% of the time they will ask you to check it.

Guns in a hard sided box inside a suitcase, ammo must go in a seperate piece of checked luggage. Magazines are usually asked to be kept in the bag not containing the firearms.

<_< And when you spend 15minutes watching them roust through your bag and thin :angry2: Repack? it for you.

They wont let you touch the bag after they rumage through it.

I'm driveing next time

coming home from Phx If I left the range at the same time I would have gotten home 2hrs later than what I did if I had not taken the plain.

Thanks guys. In the past I've always checked my range bag but this time, since I'm not bringing any other carry on where to keep my cell phone, camera and reading material, I thought of bringing it on board with me. I have TSA locks for my suitcase and bag's main compartment. The smaller range bag pockets I just close with cable ties.

Again, gracias.

There are almost certainly traces of chemical on your range bag that would be.....problematic.....when you get screened.

FY42385

My Dillon range bag is always used as my carry-on, even on the flight to Bali and I have never been stopped at security. But be sure to check every nook & cranny, then turn the bag upside down and shake it to make sure there are no loose rounds.

We don't use a TSA lock (everyone has a key to one of those), just have a cell # on the top of the case in the event that the case needs to be opened. Different carriers have different rules about ammo and guns in the same bag and the ticket agents usually don't have a clue what their own rules are. It is best not to argue, just do what they ask. TSA is more likely to check the bags with ammo than the bag with the guns. The x-ray can't see through the lead in the ammo. We have found that if you act like you know what you're doing that the ticket agents will follow your advice when they are not sure.

The really nice thing is when you fly out of a small airport like our's and the TSA agent asks "Where are you shooting this time?" :-)

FWIW, sometime last year, a shooter told me that when he had to fly to a match, he would box up everything except his gun and ship it UPS to his hotel (by prior arrangement). His gun went into a locked case in his check-in luggage. He said that the cost of shipping the gear was worth the reduction in hassle at the airport.

I flew to the 3-gun nationals once. When I got home I figured a way to purchase a nice used C-class Motor Home.

My wife can now take the dogs. We have our own bathroom, bedroom, and resteraunt all rolled into one. Get to see the sights too. Breakfast served to you in the drivers seat even beats breakfast served to you in bed (like that ever happens). The best part for me is that I get to bring my spare guns in case one goes down at a shoot.

Never having to rely on the airline people to take care of your schedule in a timely manner is very relaxing.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO USE TSA LOCKS!

Nemo - That is biggest scam running. You do not need to use TSA locks and they will not cut your locks open. At worst, and this is in Oakland (i.e. near San Francisco) airport, they just wanted to sweep my rifle case, locked it with my lock and then I zip tied it. Done. Same goes for ALL my checked luggage. We haven't totally forfeited our 4th Amendment rights people.

Rich

...because I've had locks cut more than once.

I've never had locks cut on my firearms luggage (knock on wood). I always use a Pelican box, so I can lock everything up along with the firearm.

Neomet and all,

+1 on the loose round experience.

NOT fun.

I left a sniper school right after running through the final course of fire. (I graduated...yahoo!)

A friend drove me to the airport.

While going through the screening (shoes off. change out of pocket etc....) the metal detector goes off and they direct e to the handheld screening guy.

Hes going over me with it and when it nears the front right pocket of my Levis it goes off.

At the same time the light bulb in my head goes off and I remember that during the entire sniper school the head instructor had us carry 1 round of .308 ammo at ALL times on our person.

Even out to dinner he would suddenly ask the room of cops/mil snipers "Where's your round?"

The purpose was to signify to us all that when the call-out comes you have to be ready for it...you don't have time to "get ready".

Anyway this screening guys metal detector is going off and I suddenly get an "Oh shit!" :surprise: look on my face.

He immediately grabs my pocket to keep me from reaching inside and looks scared so I say "It's not what you think."

He guides me over to a bench (the Group "W" bench) and I sit there with the Hulk hovering over me ready to beat me to death with my own femur bone if I hiccup wrong. I had I.D. and had let them know I was a cop...noone cared.

I awaited the supervisor who(thank God) was a retired cop and when he heard my story he laughed and asked me if I wanted the .308 round.

I said "Hell no throw it away!"

I threw it into a trash can and was on my way.

But for a minute or 2 while I was waiting I thought I was going to miss my flight and be answering questions for quite a while.

Put the range bag inside another suitcase or lock it seperately AFTER they run their screening wipes all over it.

Good luck,

JK

As far as using TSA locks on a hardside case, check the Airline Reg. The last couple of times I checked it stated that the handguns had to be locked in a case that only the owner had the keys or combo to.

Alan

TSA locks are combination locks. With a master key that only TSA has.